• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Relegation: Kings v Lions

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
SOUTHERN KINGS TEAM TO PLAY THE LIONS
AT NMB STADIUM
FRIDAY 26 JULY 2013
15. SP Marais
11. Marcello Sampson
13. Ronnie Cooke (Vice Captain)
12. Shane Gates
14. Hadleigh Parkes
10. Demetri Catrakilis
9. Shaun Venter
1. Schalk Ferreira
2. Bandise Maku
3. Kevin Buys
6. Cornell du Preez
4. Darron Nell (Captain)
5. David Bulbring
7. Wimpie van der Walt
8. Jacques Engelbrecht
Replacements
16. Charl du Plessis
17. Hannes Franklin
18. Steven Sykes
19. Devin Oosthuizen
20. Nicolas Vergallo
21. George Whitehead
22. Waylon Murray

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'm not usually interested in South African domestic rugby. But the sheer insanity, that is this relegation playoff scenario is interesting enough on it's own.

I don't know if this is common knowledge. But the 2012 Golden Lions players who were still on contract are actually on loan to the other super15 sides at the moment. So guys like Jantjies and F.Van De Merve will rock up just for this play off.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Excuse my ignorance,

I get that it is relegation battle between two domestic South African team but could you give those of us who don't follow this competition a little bit of context.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Excuse my ignorance,

I get that it is relegation battle between two domestic South African team but could you give those of us who don't follow this competition a little bit of context.

Basically, the Kings wanted into Super Rugby and the Lions didn't want out. SARU can only have 5 teams in the comp so instead of merging teams or just ignoring the Kings, they decided that the Kings would get 2013 and from there on in, whoever lost the conference would play a home and away series against the team not in Super Rugby.
Overall winner is in Super Rugby, loser is out.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Lions
15. Ruan Combrinck , 14. Deon van Rensburg , 13. Stokkies Hanekom , 12. Dylan des Fountain , 11. Anthony Volmink , 10. Elton Jantjies , 9. Michael Bondesio , 8. Warren Whiteley , 7. Derick Minnie , 6. Jaco Kriel , 5. Franco van der Merwe , 4. Hendrik Roodt , 3. Julian Redelinghuys , 2. Martin Bezuidenhout , 1. JC Janse van Rensburg
Replacements : 16. Robbie Coetzee , 17. Ruan Dreyer , 18. Willie Britz , 19. Warwick Tecklenburg , 20. Ross Cronje , 21. Marnitz Boshoff , 22. Chrysander Botha

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
That's a good Lions pack but outside Jantjes it looks very average.

I can't call this. Sounds like the Lions had decent preparation against various overseas opponents and will be desperate.

The Kings have been together for a season playing top level opposition.

Real shitfight in the backstreets this one.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
That's a good Lions pack but outside Jantjes it looks very average.

I can't call this. Sounds like the Lions had decent preparation against various overseas opponents and will be desperate.

The Kings have been together for a season playing top level opposition.

Real shitfight in the backstreets this one.
Lions also won the Vodacom Cup and on a roll. Gimmie midfield will break the Kings up.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Basically, the Kings wanted into Super Rugby and the Lions didn't want out. SARU can only have 5 teams in the comp so instead of merging teams or just ignoring the Kings, they decided that the Kings would get 2013 and from there on in, whoever lost the conference would play a home and away series against the team not in Super Rugby.
Overall winner is in Super Rugby, loser is out.
Same rules apply as what we use for our promo/relegation CC matches between 1st Division and Premier Divisions.
1.3 PROMOTION /RELEGATION
Two promotion/relegation matches will be played at the end the season. The team at the bottom of the log in the ABSA Currie Cup Premier Division, will play two (2) promotion/relegation matches, home and away, against the team at the top of the log in the ABSA Currie Cup First Division as follows:
Premier Division 6 versus First Division 1 (home & away)
The first round match will be played at the venue of the team from the Premier Division and the second round match at the venue of the team from the First Division. These matches will be played in accordance with paragraph 8 of Section 2 - Log Points Format - of the Rules of the Competition. After completion of the promotion/relegation matches, the team with the most log points accumulated during these two matches will play in the ABSA Currie Cup Premier Division in the following season. In the event of an equal number of log points accumulated in the two matches, the winner will be determined as follows:
1.3.1 the best nett points difference i.e. points for minus points against in the two (2) matches, and if equal,
1.3.2 the team who scored the most tries in the two (2) matches, and if equal,
1.3.3 the status quo will remain.

PiXeL_Ninja

Bill Watson (15)
Excuse my ignorance,

Despite what people say, its not really a Promotion/relegation match.

I say this because, the loser will not drop into a lower tier tournament. They will be cast into the void. The Lions have taken a HUGE hammering financially this season, with virtually all of their sponsors pulling out.

Lions

At the beginning of the year the Lions' better players either left the franchise or were loaned out to the other unions. They had also managed to organize quite a decent fixture list to keep the remaining players busy this season, the trip to the USA and France to play local clubs fell through.

Lions Fixtures & Results 2013

19-Jan-13 vs Russia @ Ellis Park – Lions 51 : Russia 13
26-Jan-13 vs Cheetahs @ Ellis Park – Lions 33 : Cheetahs 17
2-Feb-13 vs Bulls @ Orlando Stadium – Lions 32 : Bulls 38
9-Feb-13 vs Kings @ Ellis Park – Lions 41 : Kings 31
16-Mar-13 vs Mont de Marsan @ Ellis Park – Lions 56 – Mont de Marsan 24
11-May-13 vs Agen @ Ellis Park
– Cancelled
1-Jun-13 vs Samoa @ Ellis Park – Lions 74 – Samoa 14
8-Jun-13 vs
French Barbarians
@ Ellis Park – Cancelled
to be replaced with SA Barbarians
15-Jun-13 vs Stormers @ Ellis Park – Lions 42 – WP 12
21-Jun-13 vs Sharks @ Ellis Park – Lions 33 – Sharks 29
6-Jul-13 vs Blue Bulls @ Loftus – Blue Bulls 12 – Lions 50
13-Jul-13
vs Montpellier @ Ellis Park
– vs Griquas @ Ellis Park – Lions 26 – Griquas 12
20-Jul-13 vs Grenoble @ Ellis Park
– Cancelled
26-Jul-13 Promotion relegation away
3-Aug-13 Promotion relegation @ Ellis Park
13-Jul-13 vs Montpellier @ Ellis Park
– vs Griquas @ Ellis Park
20-Jul-13 vs Grenoble @ Ellis Park
– Cancelled?
26-Jul-13 Promotion relegation away
2-Aug-13 Promotion relegation @ Ellis Park

Take the results of these matches vs the Local sides with a pinch of salt, as they were all 2nd stringers (including the match vs the kings on the 9th of Feb)

Another year in the wilderness for the Lions will surely cripple the proud 124 year old Transvaal franchise. So losing will not be an option for them.

Kings

2013 Super Rugby wooden spooners - The Kings had a decent entry into the big stage, becoming the first franchise to record a win on debut(at home vs the Force). They then went on to draw against the eventual Aus conference winners Brumbies (in Cranberra), knocked over the Rebels (in Melborne) and managed to overcome a desperate Highlanders side at home.

They were on the receiving end of afew blowouts- vs the Crusaders (55-20), Bulls (34-0) and Waratahs (72-10) but considering that this was their first season in Super rugby, they definitely managed to exceed expectations here in SA.

If the Lions dont win this, SARU will almost be forced to bail GLRU out or it will mean the death of rugby in SA's financial capital city. Whereas the Kings have done well to capitalize on the hunger for top flight rugby here in the Eastern Cape, as they were the 2nd best supported team in terms of ticket sales and should have provisions for a year out in the wilderness.(the following infographic was compiled by the chaps on this website after round 8)

http://infogr.am/2013-Super-Rugby-Crowds

Too close to call

Kings will be battle hardened after a year in Super Rugby, afew key injuries is a worry though (captain Andries Strauss). Lions also are without springbok fullback Jaco Taute, and have decided to gamble on Elton Janjies at flyhalf who has been horribly out of form all year while at the Stormers.

Going to be too close to call. A game of all or nothing, a game of survival! Stakes not to dissimilar to a WC Final, only instead of a trophy, its a ticket into Super Rugby (and the accompanying paycheck that comes with it)

/2c

PiXeL_Ninja

Bill Watson (15)
Lions warming up on the paddock, they looking huge. this is their final they've been training for all season. not so confident of a kings win anymore :(

PiXeL_Ninja

Bill Watson (15)
absolutely gobsmacked. peyper without a doubt in the lions pocket. awarding forward pass tries , pinging kings for doing exactly what the lions are doing. pissed off. now trying to feign impartiality by showing the lions a yellow.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Lions have one foot back in Super Rugby with a 26-19 win in Port Elizabeth and the return leg to be played at Ellis Park.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
feign impartiality
Perhaps some impartiality in the reporting of the game for those of us who didn't have the opportunity to see it would be nice? ;)

No, I can't really comment without having seen the game. The reports I've read suggested that the Lions were lucky, but still deserved winners.

I don't remember you being as outraged by Willie le Roux's forward pass for the Cheetahs' first try against the Brumbies last weekend though?

Status
Not open for further replies.