• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RIP Dan Vickerman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Whoa! There's a info at the bottom of the page for lifelind and beyondblue. Is that suggesting what I really hope it's not suggesting?

Those were my thoughts. Man, it's just such a fucking tragic mess. I've lost friends and family and neighbours to that bastard illness and it just keeps on happening. While the first thoughts and priority must be on protecting and supporting family, sometimes I wonder if it should be spelled out clearly. Rip the bandaid off and get people focused on the problem and its prevalence.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^ the links to lifeline & beyondblue in Pando's article are a pretty good indication, I doubt they'd have been included if it were natural causes or an accident.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I have it 100% confirmed that it was a case of suicide. Thats not speculation.

I don't think shying away from what happened here is in anyones best interest. Truly sad but this is a conversation our society needs to have more often.

But we can wait an appropriate period to ensure that all friends and family have had opportunity to be contacted and have appropriate support networks engaged.

I agree open discussion is in most cases the best way to deal with the leading cause of death in young/middle aged males in Australia, but we must also be mindful of not coming out with such statements so early that some loved ones may not have been able to be contacted, and discovery via social media is not conducive to close support.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Good points on both sides.

I think it's prevalent enough in media Gnostic that we can have a discussion about it here. However, I think we should discuss the issue in the most general sense possible.

None of us knew Dan, or have any idea as to the circumstances that led to his tragic passing. We should show this legend of the game and his family as much respect as we can, and any posts speculating any of this will of course be deleted.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
A complete schock and devastated for his family. One of the really good guys in the game (of which there are many) and to have it end at such a young age is heartbreaking.

Vale Dan.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
In a field of big names you would love to have on your side in rugby or life, Dan would always be at the top of the list.
Deepest condolences to his family.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Shocking, sad and tragic. My thoughts, wishes and hope to his family.
He was a legend, success and one of us. We can quote John Donne -'No man is an island....', but DV was really above us and one of us. Last year I saw him having a breakfast at Cammeray. My Saturday's revolve around meeting Dad. Being the 'single' amongst the kids I am always available to meet him at on Saturday. Mum is no longer around to shelter theft DV was there. With wife. And kids. At that cafe he came across as a loving, caring family person. He wasn't an ex-Wallab, Waratah or Brumbie, but a husband and father. Shit...

There but for the Grace of God goes I.

The Snout

Ward Prentice (10)
Respects to Dan and his family.

Never knew the guy but saddened by the news when a young life is lost.

He was obviously a very smart guy, Cambridge educated, yet still had shadows in his life that he couldn't overcome. It can happen to anyone. And I would implore anyone on the forum who faces any challenges like this to reach out, there are services available and you're not alone.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Respects to Dan and his family.

Never knew the guy but saddened by the news when a young life is lost.

He was obviously a very smart guy, Cambridge educated, yet still had shadows in his life that he couldn't overcome. It can happen to anyone. And I would implore anyone on the forum who faces any challenges like this to reach out, there are services available and you're not alone.

Well said.
It can afflict anyone and not infrequently afflicts those who we might think have the least reason for self doubt or whichever particular demon it is that drives the black dog

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
This has upset me more than I would have expected. I didn't sleep last night and I was quite distressed this morning. I will be fine but felt I should post this in case others are feeling similar.
In sport we don't discuss these emotions and that is the whole issue at heart.
I had a chat with someone about how I'm feeling. I still feel pretty ordinary but it helped.
Hope you all are ok too.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
This has upset me more than I would have expected. I didn't sleep last night and I was quite distressed this morning. I will be fine but felt I should post this in case others are feeling similar.
In sport we don't discuss these emotions and that is the whole issue at heart.
I had a chat with someone about how I'm feeling. I still feel pretty ordinary but it helped.
Hope you all are ok too.

Thanks for sharing that mate. Talking and getting help to extricate ourselves from the dark places and negative thought spirals is the best thing to do - glad to hear you're doing that.

Unpicking the stigma and generational condition that sometimes stop men from openly discussing mental health and wellbeing is a long-term project, but it's one we should all be committed to, both as a means of managing our personal health, but also setting a rock-solid example for younger men and boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.