• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rising Rebels Vs Sydney Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Just what Horan said during the Rebels V Sharks game - Bob Dwyer coached Sydney won by a fair margin something like 50 to 20 (not the actual score).

rugbyvet

Chris McKivat (8)
would love a report on this game also if anyone was there to see it, sounds like sydney all non contracted players mind you gave them quite the touch up

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
Excellent performances for the Sydney team by Perret ( no surprise best player in Sydney without a Super contract ), Roos at half, Stephens at full back and harvey at 5/8

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Anybody have a list of the Sydney team (apart from those mentioned who are not household names in the Shute Shield though I know who they are)?

On Perrett - I think that the 5 Oz Super teams have pegged him at the excellent club player but not good enough for Super rugby level, and for the reasons I have stated before. [Cue naza to disagree and say that they agree with him: that he's an average club player, which he is not.]

Nice avatar of the great man br and a good link with your username.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
SYDNEY
15. Tyler Stevens (Parramatta)
14. Ben Batger (Eastwood)
13. Henari Veratau (Northern Suburbs)
12. Anton Lavin (Eastern Suburbs)
11. Dylan Smouha (Warringah)
10. Dave Harvey (Gordon)
9. Dewet Roos (Southern Districts)
8. Talalelei Gray (Eastern Suburbs)
7. Sean Doyle (Southern Districts)
6. Hugh Perrett (Eastwood)
5. Phil Mathers (Eastern Suburbs)
4. Ed Gower (Manly)
3. Lotu Taukeiaho (Randwick)
2. John Fonokalafi (Randwick)
1. Selesi Manu (Manly)
16. Lachlan Porteous (Penrith)
17. Ed Doyle (Warringah)
18. Jeremy Su’a (West Harbour)
19. Sai Vakarau (Gordon)
20. Toa Asa (Penrith)
21. Simon Norris (Eastwood)
22. Scott Podmore (Northern Suburbs)
23. Andrew Shaw (Eastern Suburbs)
24. Hugh Hawkins (Sydney University)

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
How good is it to see a parra boy in there? Taf will be happy.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Rebel Rising

1. Rodney Blake, 2. Luke Holmes, 3. Elliott Bull, 4. Adam Byrnes, 5. Richard Stanford, 6. Tom Chamberlain, 7. Sam Latinipalu, 8. Luke Jones, 9. Dave Hardisty, 10. Dan Kelly, 11. Ben Jones, 12. Toby Browne, 13. Peter Betham, 14. JP Du Plessis, 15. Alex Rokobaro

Reserves: 16. Sione Kolo, 17. Melbourne Lesa, 18 . Andrew Brown, 19. Gus Hamilton, 20. Lua Vailoaloa, 21. Chris Slade, 22. Taofiga Sa

Nice avatar of the great man br and a good link with your username.
I may have had something to do with this... bit of a fan of Robert Johnson, though more through Eric Clapton's album Me and Mr Johnson.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks for listing those teams. Give or take, the starting players are Sydney Shute Shield guys playing for two different teams.

It makes one wistful again for the ARC. Some of these players could be assessed in it and get gigs the following year as mature Super rookies.

It's good to see Manly LHP Salesi Manu hasn't been forgotten just because he's not accepting Junior Tahs overtures and that Jeremy Sua's name is there again.

That's a pretty well selected team given that most Junior Tahs regulars or Uni players weren't picked. I was told last week that the Oz Barbarians don't ask Uni for permission to use their players because they don't give it; so maybe that is why there are none of their players in the Sydney side - except Hawkins: an anomaly which I can't explain.

I'm still a bit nonplussed that the Rebels weren't interested in prop Ruan Smith, who played for Oz A Schools with a year to go at school, returned to the RSA with his family, got selected for the RSA U/20 training group but was injured before their squad was selected, played U/21 for WP last year and showed up back in Oz with his brother to try out at the Rebels.

Anybody know of his movements in the last couple of months?

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
I was told last week that the Oz Barbarians don't ask Uni for permission to use their players because they don't give it; so maybe that is why there are none of their players in the Sydney side - except Hawkins: an anomaly which I can't explain.

If there is any truth to this, i hope that this is made public and that players would avoid going to Uni. What a great opportunity to play in front of a crowd in Melbourne and be given the opportunity to shine for a contract at Super level or overseas. It would look great on a cv for any overseas club, don't we want our players playing at the highest possible level?

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Some pretty handy players in both sides, and some interesting names and selections there, would have been good to see a match report.

Henari Veratau back from OS I see. How old would he be these days and would he be a chance of cracking Super rugby again?

You're right LG, such a pity that there is no ARC, for reasons well covered over the years.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Lee, Smith brothers Im afraid just not up to it at the moment.

Thanks for that - it's my 1st real info on them. Pity - especially about Ruan. However they are very young yet.

spectator

Yes, his name is a blast from the past isn't it? There's another fellow in a similar position: Ben Batger. He's had a chance with the Tahs and Brumbies but he looked at the top of his game last year for Eastwood and has played well for the Oz Baas and JWs this year.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I was told last week that the Oz Barbarians don't ask Uni for permission to use their players because they don't give it; so maybe that is why there are none of their players in the Sydney side - except Hawkins: an anomaly which I can't explain.

If there is any truth to this, i hope that this is made public and that players would avoid going to Uni. What a great opportunity to play in front of a crowd in Melbourne and be given the opportunity to shine for a contract at Super level or overseas. It would look great on a cv for any overseas club, don't we want our players playing at the highest possible level?

It is unclear how many "players would avoid going to Uni" because they have heard that Uni players weren't released to play in Melbourne for a Sydney side in March 2011. We'll have to wait and see to what extent it damages Uni's recruiting in the coming years.

The reality of course is that the Uni first grade side took advantage of "a great opportunity to play in front of a crowd in Melbourne" when they played the curtain raiser to a Rebels game against the Victorian State side two weeks previously.

On Saturday Uni took part in an ‘Inter City’ challenge game in Canberra that the Tuggeranong Vikings initiated last year when they took on UQ, the Queensland Premiers, in October and challenged the winners of the Brisbane and Sydney competitions respectively. That would probably have been a priority for the Uni Club.

I doubt whether Hugh Hawkins played in Friday's game in Melbourne. If he did he backed up very well the next day in Canberra.

It is encouraging to see so many people with suggestions as to how the Uni Club should conduct themselves. Once this is sorted out there might be other clubs that could benefit from such counselling.

Status
Not open for further replies.