• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Round 11 Reds V Lions Sat Apr 28 3:05PM Suncorp Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

emuarse

Chilla Wilson (44)
Here it is Thursday already, two days out from the game, and I've looked, and looked, and looked again, and no thread yet.
What does this mean? I can only draw one conclusion: There is no interest in the game. It is a foregone conclusion, the Reds are going to get smashed.
Or will Brad Thorn & his group of merry young men, plus a few grey beards, pull off the impossible and acheive a win.
I deliberately haven't looked up the bookies' odds - too scared.
Your thoughts?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Reds team to face the Lions
1. JP Smith – GPS
2. Brandon Paenga-Amosa – Sunnybank
3. Taniela Tupou – Brothers
4. Izack Rodda – Easts
5. Kane Douglas – Norths
6. Angus Scott-Young – University of Queensland
7. George Smith – Brothers
8. Caleb Timu – Souths
9. Ben Lucas – Sunnybank
10. Hamish Stewart – Bond University
11. Jordan Petaia – Wests
12. Samu Kerevi (C) – Souths
13. Chris Feauai-Sautia – Souths
14. Filipo Daugunu – Wests
15. Aidan Toua – Easts
Reserves
16. Alex Mafi – Bond University
17. Harry Hoopert – Brothers
18. Ruan Smith – GPS
19. Harry Hockings – University of Queensland
20. Adam Korczyk – University of Queensland
21. Moses Sorovi – Wests
22. Duncan Paia’aua – Norths
23. Izaia Perese – Easts

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
After last weekend I’m not heading to another home game for awhile.
I’m will spend my addmission dollars at the bar at club games.

Lions by a lot, and Souths to have a bigger crowd then the Reds.

This will be all to painful...... but I still will watch it on the box because I love the game.

dru

David Wilson (68)

This will be all to painful.. but I still will watch it on the box because I love the game.

Souths are just sensational though. Loving the stream.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)

This will be all to painful.. but I still will watch it on the box because I love the game.

Ok biggsy , I will go and spend my money;), I actually looking forward to game, but I haven't seen the Lions play live, and obviously will watch the Reds again, this will be my 4th game this season, hell and I a Canes supporting Kiwi that lives here!!
But anyway one question I have is whether Liam Wright is injured? He certainly playing well and not real convinced Smith offers more, he certainly didn't last week!

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ok biggsy , I will go and spend my money;), I actually looking forward to game, but I haven't seen the Lions play live, and obviously will watch the Reds again, this will be my 4th game this season, hell and I a Canes supporting Kiwi that lives here!!
But anyway one question I have is whether Liam Wright is injured? He certainly playing well and not real convinced Smith offers more, he certainly didn't last week!

Your not a Reds supporter so I understand you wanting to spend your money. Lions should put on a good game for you.
I can’t answer you second question, and I’m sure Thorn can’t too. It seems to be a team picked on who they are playing each week.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Your not a Reds supporter so I understand you wanting to spend your money. Lions should put on a good game for you.
I can’t answer you second question, and I’m sure Thorn can’t too. It seems to be a team picked on who they are playing each week.

Lol not a dig at you for not going biggsy, I actually understand, just I probably just admitting I one of these old buggers that don't know better and keep supporting team regardless as I do actually support the Reds whenever they not playing kiwi team.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There comes a time in every coach's career when he realises the players aren't responding to him. One of the clearest signs of this is when that coach starts picking rookies from nowhere.

First Petaia and now Hoopert. Two potentially talented players but no way do they deserve Reds jerseys yet. Meanwhile Fa'agase, Ready, Tuttle and Paia'aua continue to be rotated in and out. Its all very odd.

Can someone tell me about Petaia? What's his game? What's he bring to the table? I didn't see much of his schoolboy career and have only seen his bench cameos. Last week he obviously stepped a few players but I didn't see much to suggest he should leapfrog Perese.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah I don't get this rotation of the wings thing. Wingers are usually either lighting up the field from their teenage years (see Rieko Ioane) and earn themselves a spot without the need to be given an opportunity or they ply their craft for a few years gaining guile and experience and adding things to their game like a sidestep or the ability to kick. It's not the sort of position where you need to gain big game experience starting, in contrast to the front row, because your role is largely the same whether you come on in the 1st or the 79th minute.

duckbill

Ward Prentice (10)
Here it is Thursday already, two days out from the game, and I've looked, and looked, and looked again, and no thread yet.
What does this mean? I can only draw one conclusion: There is no interest in the game. It is a foregone conclusion, the Reds are going to get smashed.
Or will Brad Thorn & his group of merry young men, plus a few grey beards, pull off the impossible and acheive a win.
I deliberately haven't looked up the bookies' odds - too scared.
Your thoughts?
Pretty much mirrored my thoughts to the letter...

Early game (7:05am in South Africa), I'd be tempted to sleep in but my second favourite team the Lions is playing so I'll get up and watch it...

What time are Souths playing?

emuarse

Chilla Wilson (44)
Its hard to believe that Hamish Stewart is finally in the starting No 10 position.
I hope the forwards can put in the effort to give him that going forward feeling.
He's not going to get much help from Ben Lucas whom if he sticks to his normal mode of play, will just shovel the ball on.
Come to think of it, that's what Jono Lance does as well. No wonder they were queueing up to knock over Kerevi.
Unless the halves can show some originality/variety we have got as much chance as a snowball in hell of winning.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Its hard to believe that Hamish Stewart is finally in the starting No 10 position.
I hope the forwards can put in the effort to give him that going forward feeling.
He's not going to get much help from Ben Lucas whom if he sticks to his normal mode of play, will just shovel the ball on.
Come to think of it, that's what Jono Lance does as well. No wonder they were queueing up to knock over Kerevi.
Unless the halves can show some originality/variety we have got as much chance as a snowball in hell of winning.

Sorovi should be starting based on what he showed last week and Tuttle backing him up. Lucas looked off the pace completely and as soon as Sorovi replaced him they started getting some quick, clean ball the backs could use.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Think you have to at least try Smith starting against the Lions given the performance of the Reds over the last few weeks.

Having said that I'm not convinced he's still up for Super Rugby. He was great at times last year, but also a massive liability with his preponderance of penalties, and the three conceded in short time last week were not a good look

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
There comes a time in every coach's career when he realises the players aren't responding to him. One of the clearest signs of this is when that coach starts picking rookies from nowhere.

First Petaia and now Hoopert. Two potentially talented players but no way do they deserve Reds jerseys yet. Meanwhile Fa'agase, Ready, Tuttle and Paia'aua continue to be rotated in and out. Its all very odd.

Dare I say it, we had the exact same situation at Rebels last year, with so many injuries (thanks Tony) and then we were signing players from anywhere really to fill the playing roster.
Desperation by McGahan now repeated at Reds with Thorn.
Youth and lack of experience and lack of strategy will cause you pain (imho) - mind you, I still wish you all the best.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
I would have thought that by bringing Stewart in to start they might have brought Tuttle back as well since the pair have the experience together from the NRC. I've been disappointed in Lucas, I did hope that he would provide some valuable experience but he just looks off the pace. Duncan P must have recovered from whatever caused him to be limping around the stadium last weekend. Still don't understand what Ready has done wrong - Mafi hasn't seemed to bring much when he has come on and Ready is very good over the ball and scrummaging. As Reg indicated, some very odd selections. I hope the young winger goes well, he showed some good running last week, but then so has Perese on a number of occasions and Perese is a very good defender - not sure how Pataia will go with that. At least they didn't bring Nabuli in.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I am sick of watching guys run around who can't:

pass left to right
execute a tackle
draw and pass to make use of an overlap
kick
chase a kick
form a defensive line

That's all the Australian super rugby players.

They're rubbish. All of them.

I'll just watch the NZ teams play thank you very much - then I can actually enjoy the game I love instead of seeing it fucked over by spoilt individuals who (for years now) haven't done a thing to improve their deficiencies.

Reds to win in an upset.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
The Reds mystery selections continue! Lucas has done nothing to justify his selection over the other halves who have played this year.
Stewart hasn't looked ready for super rugby in any game this year
George Smith was terrible last week.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
I am sick of watching guys run around who can't:

pass left to right
execute a tackle
draw and pass to make use of an overlap
kick
chase a kick
form a defensive line

That's all the Australian super rugby players.

They're rubbish. All of them.

I'll just watch the NZ teams play thank you very much - then I can actually enjoy the game I love instead of seeing it fucked over by spoilt individuals who (for years now) haven't done a thing to improve their deficiencies.

Reds to win in an upset.

hang on, they are good at passing the ball to the spot directly behind where it needs to go.
and they are also very gentlemanly, I often see them running beside an opponent and then pat him on the shoulder or something just as he dives to score a try

Status
Not open for further replies.