• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 13 : Reds v Drua 18 May (Fiji)

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Reds are in an interesting spot.

In one sense, they are already well ahead of how they performed last year. BUT if they drop a couple of games in the run home that’ll be what is remembered. Plus they have an easier run home than the Chiefs with the Chiefs facing the Canes and the Blues in their last 2 games so a genuine chance to challenge for a top 4 spot - BUT Fiji, The Force and the Tahs have all brought the Reds unstuck in the past. (Well - let’s be honest, so has everyone else at one stage or another and the Reds losses to the Force and Moana keep me from being too confident)

First things first - Fiji in Fiji which has buried many teams including the 2023 Reds.

Wilson a definite out. Not sure there are any other major omissions that weren’t well known before this week. Some hope of Uru being back. And I believe Lynagh expected to be good for this week. Any word on Cormac Daly? Vest is honest enough but Daly was pretty good before injury.

Hopefully something like this -
Fa’agese
Faesler
Toomaga-Alan
Smith
Blyth
Wright
McReight
Uru (or Bryant)
McDermott
Lynagh
Ryan
Paisami
Flook
Grealy
Campbell
Nasser
Ravai
Nonggorr
Daly (or Vest)
Bryant (or Brial if Uru isn’t back)
Thomas
O’Connor
Vunivalu

Last edited:

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I wouldn't be amazed to see Flook get a rest, with O'Connor and Paisami in the centres, particularly if Lynagh is back. He's taken a fair few hits recently and looked a bit ginger, particularly with the shoulder injury. It'd also be good to get O'Connor some good game time before the finals.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Not too confident about this one. Drua have proven to be a very tough beat at home, and a decent chance of thunderstorms as well by the looks of things.

One thing's for certain though - if both teams show up, it should be an entertaining watch.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
I wouldn't be amazed to see Flook get a rest, with O'Connor and Paisami in the centres, particularly if Lynagh is back. He's taken a fair few hits recently and looked a bit ginger, particularly with the shoulder injury. It'd also be good to get O'Connor some good game time before the finals.
I agree he may, but I think we will need his fleet footedness and defensive reading to cover what is a highly mobile centre/OB attack. Yes he got targeted hard and effectively in attacked, but in defence nothing much gets by him, whereas Paisami and JOC (James O'Connor) may get burned.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
  1. Peni Ravai – Easts – Ratu Kadavulevu School, Fiji
  2. Josh Nasser – University of Queensland - St Joseph’s Gregory Terrace - Easts
  3. Zane Nonggorr – Bond University – The Southport School – Gold Coast Eagles
  4. Ryan Smith – Brothers – St Patrick’s College, Shorncliffe – Caboolture Snakes
  5. Cormac Daly - Norths – Ul Riada, Ireland – North Kildare/Kilcock GAA, Ireland
  6. Liam Wright (cc) – Easts – Anglican Church Grammar School - Easts
  7. Fraser McReight – Brothers – Brisbane Grammar School – Albany Creek Brumbies
  8. John Bryant - Souths - St Laurence’s College - Souths
  9. Tate McDermott (cc) - University of Queensland - Sunshine Coast Grammar School - Flinders Rugby Club
  10. Lawson Creighton - Brothers - Padua College
  11. Floyd Aubrey - GPS - Marist College Ashgrove – GPS
  12. Hunter Paisami – Wests – Mangere College, Auckland
  13. Taj Annan - Souths – Brisbane Boys’ College – Mereweather Carlton
  14. Suliasi Vunivalu – Wests – Saint Kentigern College, Auckland
  15. Jock Campbell – University of Queensland – The Southport School – Inverell Highlanders

Reserves:
  16. George Blake – Bond University – The Southport School – Fasi Maufanga Eels, Tonga
  17. Sef Fa’agase – Sunnybank – Shailer Park State High School – Beaudesert Warriors
  18. Jeffery Toomaga-Allen - Norths - Wellington College, NZ
  19. Seru Uru – Wests – Ratu Kadavulevu School, Fiji – Namoli Rugby Club, Fiji
  20. Joe Brial - University of Queensland – Scots College – Easts, Sydney
  21. Kalani Thomas – University of Queensland – Ipswich Grammar School - Souths
  22. James O’Connor – Brothers - St Joseph’s Nudgee College - Brothers
  23. Tim Ryan – Brothers – St Patrick’s College, Shorncliffe
So I was right about Flook being out, but instead it's Annan to 13. Nasser starting, Bryant in for Wilson, Aubrey and Vunivalu on the wings and Uru and Brial onto the bench. Feels a bit makeshift with Faessler, Grealy and Flook rested (but not injured)

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
  1. Peni Ravai – Easts – Ratu Kadavulevu School, Fiji
  2. Josh Nasser – University of Queensland - St Joseph’s Gregory Terrace - Easts
  3. Zane Nonggorr – Bond University – The Southport School – Gold Coast Eagles
  4. Ryan Smith – Brothers – St Patrick’s College, Shorncliffe – Caboolture Snakes
  5. Cormac Daly - Norths – Ul Riada, Ireland – North Kildare/Kilcock GAA, Ireland
  6. Liam Wright (cc) – Easts – Anglican Church Grammar School - Easts
  7. Fraser McReight – Brothers – Brisbane Grammar School – Albany Creek Brumbies
  8. John Bryant - Souths - St Laurence’s College - Souths
  9. Tate McDermott (cc) - University of Queensland - Sunshine Coast Grammar School - Flinders Rugby Club
  10. Lawson Creighton - Brothers - Padua College
  11. Floyd Aubrey - GPS - Marist College Ashgrove – GPS
  12. Hunter Paisami – Wests – Mangere College, Auckland
  13. Taj Annan - Souths – Brisbane Boys’ College – Mereweather Carlton
  14. Suliasi Vunivalu – Wests – Saint Kentigern College, Auckland
  15. Jock Campbell – University of Queensland – The Southport School – Inverell Highlanders

Reserves:
  16. George Blake – Bond University – The Southport School – Fasi Maufanga Eels, Tonga
  17. Sef Fa’agase – Sunnybank – Shailer Park State High School – Beaudesert Warriors
  18. Jeffery Toomaga-Allen - Norths - Wellington College, NZ
  19. Seru Uru – Wests – Ratu Kadavulevu School, Fiji – Namoli Rugby Club, Fiji
  20. Joe Brial - University of Queensland – Scots College – Easts, Sydney
  21. Kalani Thomas – University of Queensland – Ipswich Grammar School - Souths
  22. James O’Connor – Brothers - St Joseph’s Nudgee College - Brothers
  23. Tim Ryan – Brothers – St Patrick’s College, Shorncliffe
So I was right about Flook being out, but instead it's Annan to 13. Nasser starting, Bryant in for Wilson, Aubrey and Vunivalu on the wings and Uru and Brial onto the bench. Feels a bit makeshift with Faessler, Grealy and Flook rested (but not injured)
You'd have to assume a bit of management for Ryan too? Interesting to see Aubrey come straight into the XV and Ryan moved to the bench

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
You'd have to assume a bit of management for Ryan too? Interesting to see Aubrey come straight into the XV and Ryan moved to the bench

Yeah, Les Kiss has said as much:
“I'm a big believer in giving young players a go when they are good. Tim Ryan has been proving that but it's also about managing their exposure the right way at this level. He’ll have the chance to attack this game from the bench."

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
What's happened to Hodgman? Fairly sure I saw him warming up on Friday evening?

Aubrey and Annan are pretty light in the backs especially against some big bodies the Fijians have.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I guess this is where it gets tough. You have to back your squad and you don’t build depth without giving guys exposure. Plus Flook & Faessler in particular could use a break you’d think.

But gee I’d hate to drop this game.

I guess if you are going to rest people at all this is probably the one to do it and make sure you’re full strength at home v the Force & away v The Tahs.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Aubrey and Annan are pretty light in the backs especially against some big bodies the Fijians have.
Aubrey is but Annan is not small - he may still have some growing to do but he's got at a listed height of 6'4 and weight somewhere between 95kg and 100kg. He's got 3 inches and at least 6kg on Flook who he's replacing.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I guess this is where it gets tough. You have to back your squad and you don’t build depth without giving guys exposure. Plus Flook & Faessler in particular could use a break you’d think.

But gee I’d hate to drop this game.

I guess if you are going to rest people at all this is probably the one to do it and make sure you’re full strength at home v the Force & away v The Tahs.
Yeah, I think a game in Fiji is probably the worst time to risk niggling injuries or overworked players so it makes sense to rest them now and let them stay home. 2 games left in the regular season means they shouldn't be missing any continuity before the finals.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Wow Floyd Aubrey on wing…

his been great in clubland so if he’s played his way into a starting spot in super rugby this week - then much kudos

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Blyth looked in a bit of pain when he came off last week but I can't see an official mention - is he out injured?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah I never like too many changes to be honest. But I can understand how this type of trip can take it out of weary / injured players.

I'm a little on edge about this one....

scrans21

Chris McKivat (8)
Unless we bomb all three of the upcoming games then we're locked in for finals. Would be nice to win all three to try and push for a home QF but at the same time considering some of the recent injuries it's important to build some depth so we're not throwing someone like Aubrey into the starting side in a finals game. Plus considering this is our toughest game of the next three it's probably the right time to rest Flook, Faesslar and Grealey to make sure they're fit and firing for the run home.

Don't hate some of the changes (although has Blake ever played hooker?) but the starting backrow is a bit lightweight and the back three (barring Campbell) concerns me. Hopefully the starters can hold out long enough for guys like Fa'agase, JTA, O'Connor and Uru to come on and steer us home.

Expect the Drua to bounce back in firing form after last week. If we can nullify their scrum and not allow their midfield to run riot then this should be a cracking match.

Reactions: TSR

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Expect Mick Byrne to have the Drua targeting Vunivalu's wing on attack. Interested to see what Annan brings in both attack and defence. What is the plan if Creighton goes down? Campbell into 10 and O'Connor off the bench into 15 or play O'Connor at 10?