• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 2 - Force vs Reds, NIB Stadium, 2nd March @ 6:30pm (AWST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melchior

Herbert Moran (7)
Isn't Matwijow out for the season?

Who do you have as your three second rowers for the game then?

RHP, Phillip, and ?

Arnold?

You guys need another lock ASAP. Its a shame clubs don't lend each other players.

Neville and Lukhan Tui deserve some game time. As does Hanigan and a few locks floating around the Tahs.

force have been trying to sign a marquee lock since wykes and steenkamp left at the end of 15 season. hasn't happened.

rotten luck for the force and matwijow that his season is over. he was on the cusp of consistent 1st team performances. Arnold was under an injury cloud when he came West and is not super rugby standard. Phillip has looked ok in the time he has had but with Coleman out the force will struggle to match teams at lock.

I think they would happy grab Neville or Tui if they wanted to venture West.

Nipper

Ward Prentice (10)
Did you happen to notice there were 1000 dropped balls in that game. From pretty much everyone. I wouldnt be criticising anyone's ball handling from that.

Meakes was still the most influential centre in the game and came up with enough clutch plays to show he has substance.

Yeah, the ball looked like it was an absolute bar of soap, but the handling errors were maddening. Don't know the temp or humidity, but the front-rowers were absolutely drenched with sweat after about 20 minutes.

Still, you think that both teams would've gone through pre-season under similar conditions at some point? Don't they train for greasy conditions? Or at least train IN greasy conditions?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
- The Force looked much the better coached team, certainly in 2H. Rookie HC to rookie HC, Wessells appears to have engendered both greater attacking and forwards play coherence and skill than is present in the early 2017 Reds in what is on paper a far less well-ranked and well-resourced Force team than the Reds. And the Reds' set pieces have gone backwards since 2016, their line out was (inexcusably) laughable.

Two games in and a near-loss vs an ordinary Sharks team and a loss to the Force with low levels of Reds consistency and discipline in both games.....not the optimal endorsement as yet re Stiles as a Reds-saving HC. I always argue that it takes 6-7 rounds of a Super season to assess a new HC; if they are capable they will make significant and sustained improvements in team performance (both skills capability and w-l ratio) in this window. If not, they will likely be a dud, or remain as mediocre.

- Objective students of that tantalising subject - QC (Quade Cooper) history - will surely know that he's been on the slide since 2011. His once-remarkable step and speed have both badly deteriorated, his hero plays now are consistently far more risk than reward, his place kicking has worsened overall, his mistake rate is potentially game-losing, he often looks lost in the game and plays accordingly. He was sacked from Toulon through poor standards of play - and they were right - and why anyone here would think he'd rescue the 2017 Reds is beyond sound analysis. He once was an A grade 10 at Super level, he's now a C/C-. Jono Lance (as but one example) when fit is today the better 10, in the round. Let's hope for improvement, but head says it's not likely, heart hopes for the past reborn.

- Yet again in Smith and Moore the Reds were suckered in by prestige reputations and neither is delivering in relation their hefty $ tags. Ready > Moore, Gill > Smith. Gill's loss yet another isolated tragedy of the Graham catastrophe.

- FFS - the excuse-making re 'soapy ball' (along with the now-endemic ref-bashing here when our favourites crash and burn) is a sad reflection on where Aus rugby fans and Foxtel comms are in 2017, the expected standards and expectations of player excellence are now so low. Pro players adapt and adjust and the best will quickly figure out how to use the conditions to if anything to favour them over the opposition. Most Reds players grew up playing in high QLD humidity from February to April, less so WA-based players where the summers are typically very dry.

- commercially speaking, the Reds' and Force's early 2017 season crowd levels are truly scary. 15,000 at Suncorp, 7,000 at nib. Crowd income (which relates to membership income/levels and ultimately affects sponsorship appetite and $ levels) is a crucial cash source for State RUs and these levels, if not dramatically improved, will have marked impacts on RU solvency as 2017 progresses. 15,000 at Suncorp is IIRC materially under average Reds crowd levels in 2009, a nadir year for the QRU financially and otherwise.

- congratulations Force! You're playing better and with many 'no names' than you have in many years. Rewarding good coaching and good selection (and you very wisely avoided the pre-season media hype-up trap, unlike Stiles and the QRU). Your 2H performance was outstanding and you absolutely deserved to win.

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
Yeah, the ball looked like it was an absolute bar of soap, but the handling errors were maddening. Don't know the temp or humidity, but the front-rowers were absolutely drenched with sweat after about 20 minutes.

Still, you think that both teams would've gone through pre-season under similar conditions at some point? Don't they train for greasy conditions? Or at least train IN greasy conditions?

Humidity is not normally a factor in Perth, but i thought the Reds would have a better handle on it.

Nipper

Ward Prentice (10)
The coaching staff wouldn't have a clue if they really thought that there was any chance of Hodgo playing this game is any indication.

Coleman's reaction both on and off field suggested that it wasn't minor.

How about Jonno Lance? Was he injured or did he just get a rest? He looked like he was wincing a bit on the bench.

Also, does anyone have any info on Cottrell? I hadn't heard anything about him being injured, although I may have missed some off-season news.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
positives:
Nabuli - one try was special the other 2 were standard winger tries.Frisby's kicking game.
First half scrum good, second half not so good

Negatives
Lineouts. Force won theirs easily and we struggled. Am not sure whether criticism should be levelled at the jumpers or the chucker
QC (Quade Cooper) - the bloke is a shell of what he was in 2011. For some reason QC (Quade Cooper) lovers cannot see "fault" in his performances.. Better off chasing Lance.
Stephen Moore: wow - I was critical of his signing at the time. Most posters seemed to support citing reasons such as experience, wallaby captain etc. Squeak's performance at throwing and general field play is terrible. Ready should start and Mafi on the bench I wonder if Cheika has say with Stiles over his selection in the run on team.
Kerevi - great ball runner etc but shit ball skills. bombed a 7 pointer by hogging the pill.
Sef was a bit hard done by but his eventual YC after 3 incidents one after another was inevitable. Needs to increase gray matter.
Was George any good last night ? Favourite all time player but I don't think he made an impact at all in great runs or turnovers.
Thor - pretty poor scrums but I understand that as he is only 20. Maybe some more time in Prems would be warranted, His running game was zero effect. I would have thought he would be keen as. Bloke was over-awed by the big boys.

Very disappointing effort from the Reds particularly with the Saders in mind next week

Melchior

Herbert Moran (7)
-

- commercially speaking, the Reds' and Force's early 2017 season crowd levels are truly scary. 15,000 at Suncorp, 7,000 and nib. Crowd income (which relates to membership income/levels and ultimately affects sponsorship appetite and $ levels) is a crucial cash source for State RUs and these levels, if not dramatically improved, will have marked impacts on RU solvency as 2017 progresses. 15,000 at Suncorp is IIRC materially under average Reds crowd levels in 2009, a nadir year for the QRU financially and otherwise.

-

and 11,000 at the tahs

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Notwithstanding any contentious refereeing decisions and the individual performances of some players, as a neutral it was a really entertaining game to watch. Both teams were enterprising and took some risks, some came off and some didn't.

There are some really promising players coming through our ranks if last night's game is any indication.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
and 11,000 at the tahs

It's the first round, and it was pissing down in Sydney. No one thought it would be a game worth going out for, and they were right. Torrid game in worse conditions.

Numbers will pick up, particularly if we all become more competitive. Which is perfectly possible. Everyone has looked reasonably competitive but the Rebels so far.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
We need to stop doom and glooming our teams by talking crowd sizes etc, its causing such a negative effect on the media, rugby fans and surely our players. No wonder crowds as a whole are down, who'd want to turn upto something that potentially has no future, been told is dross and is been told constantly doesn't have the interests of the greater public as a whole in mind. Obviously the media are at the forefront of this but we as fans need to start being more positive which will effect what the media chooses to publish to us. etc.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I also think it is unfair to call Reds loss catastrophic as Force have recruited well and have the makings of a very good side that should only improve as noting Rona and Peni only finding their feet back in Union, Meakes adjusting to Super Rugby, and new players like Nasraini (sorry I probably have misspelt) also adjusting to super rugby.

Force have a lot of potential to be one of top Oz conference sides - but note word potential.I hope their fans get behind them and look forward to seeing what they can play like in drier playing conditions.

No one will get an easy game from the Force this year. Rona has been very good. I thought he beat out both Folau and Kerevi. At the very least he matched them. Not too many 13's have that on their resume.

chiraag

Larry Dwyer (12)
Also, does anyone have any info on Cottrell? I hadn't heard anything about him being injured, although I may have missed some off-season news.

Out for most, if not all of the season - ACL injury in the last game of the 2016 season

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Saw Slipper had a crook back and was replaced early in second half and Quade got a split head,

Were there any other injuries ? - physical not mental.

It will be interesting to see the squad this week. Moore out and Ready in is the obvious change, but will that actually happen ?

N

NTT

It was a great night to be in the stands at NIB. Good hard physical rugby up front by both packs and great intent to throw the ball around by both backlines. The scoring started early with a beautiful 12, 13, 10 loop play putting Peni into space who did the rest with a surprising turn of foot to beat 3 defenders for the try. Unusually high humidity made the ball slippery and the handling errors followed. The game was then turned on its head with a quick double to Nabuli, who looked liked he has done a lot of work in the off season. Nabulis second try was something special and had the NIB crowd more than a little worried we were about to see another Force fadeout that had become a bad habit of 2015 and 2016. Not about to roll over the Force marched back into the Reds 22 and after a quick tap from Louwrens, Matt Phillip was able to target Paua'auia at first pillar and crash over for the levelling try to send it to the sheds at 12 all. Not long into the 2nd half, Paua'aia was able to atone with a clever chip through that Nabuli collected easily for his hat trick. From there on it was all the Force as they willed themselves deep into Reds territory for the majority of the last 25 mins with the build up of pressure resulting in 2 scrum penalties which Prior converted and the match sealing try by Curtis Rona after somehow Billy Meakes was able to avoid going into touch, the ball swung to DHP who off loaded to Pek Cowan who only had to hit an unmarked Rona and the fightback was almost complete. The Force had to survive a last ditch Reds attacking raid looking to snatch a draw but the Force defense held strong with Billy Meakes able to strip Frisby in the tackle. DHP sent the ball into the crowd and the Force had done it! A 26-19 home win for the sea of blue. The atmosphere during the last 15 mins in the crowd was fantastic with the For-orce chant getting a healthy workout.
Thursday night rugby needs to be shit canned ASAP. The crowd was robbed of numbers by people working late, connecting to Africa for business and the local clubs being right in the middle of preseason preparations with trial matches starting shortly. Still it was pleasing to see hundreds of youngsters there in their local clubs colours, it really gave me an appreciation of why the Force is integral to Australian rugbys future. Its about the youngsters coming through the system and having the chance to follow their rugby dreams.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Saw Slipper had a crook back and was replaced early in second half.

This is a major worry. He was only a shadow of his previous self last year with shoulder/back problems and he hasn't set the world on fire yet. A couple of weeks off to get it right might be in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.