• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 2: Rebels v Force 8pm - 1st March

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Its going to be a very long season for both those teams based on tonight's display. All the kiwi teams will put 50+ on them. Given the Tahs are going to get trampled for the next 5-6 weeks at least, all we've got left are the Brumbies and the Reds. Now who do I follow?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Look fellas, I admit to going to bed at oranges (11pm here) a bit late for an oldtimer. But I have one main question, did Taniella Tupou do anything in 2nd half? I know he scrummed well, but rest of his game seemed to involve jogging around field behind play, and occasionally leaning on side of rucks. Or am I being harsh on him?

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Its going to be a very long season for both those teams based on tonight's display. All the kiwi teams will put 50+ on them. Given the Tahs are going to get trampled for the next 5-6 weeks at least, all we've got left are the Brumbies and the Reds. Now who do I follow?
I think the momentum is really moving towards 3-4 Australia teams with the talent better concentrated domestically.
hard to make a case for Melbourne outside of potential really.
More games and Brumbies play 3 in Melbourne?
I think less teams with better quality and more games is needed.
Anyways. Not for this thread but we just aren’t gonna be competitive again

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Look fellas, I admit to going to bed at oranges (11pm here) a bit late for an oldtimer. But I have one main question, did Taniella Tupou do anything in 2nd half? I know he scrummed well, but rest of his game seemed to involve jogging around field behind play, and occasionally leaning on side of rucks. Or am I being harsh on him?
He was woeful.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
He told the commentary team he was fucked (tired) his not match fit.. guess he was injured during pre season

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Sadly could only watch the highlights later.

What happened with the lineout? Where’s it breaking down?

Beyond his abysmal kicking did Carter have a good game? He definitely featured a lot in the highlights.

How was the crowd? Looked better than last week?

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)

Beyond his abysmal kicking did Carter have a good game? He definitely featured a lot in the highlights.

Williams was causing havoc in the lineout early and they lost their structure. Carter was very good. Forming a great partnership with Kellaway

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I actually rather enjoyed that match, but I agree with the sentiment that both these teams are going to struggle against the NZ teams at this stage. The bench from the Rebels provided a lot more punch and you can see how much they were riding the emotions vs. The Force who I thought were a lot calmer, especially in that first half, looking much more clinical and assured of what they were doing. The Rebels in comparison were disappointing in the nuts and bolts with their ruck work being poor often and their defence looking rather passive at times. Add in some handling errors and a poor lineout and they were really struggling to string things together.

For The Force, that scrum became a real liability for them, but I actually thought, especially in the first half that they were doing a lot right. You could see the detail in their breakdown work, the way they were backing up in tight, short offload game, their defence looked good with nice detail, including their chop tackling hard on the ball approach with a good press that cut out the wide space reasonably well. Donaldson was entirely on song with the boot and put in a really good performance, Burey looked threatening at times and likewise had a good game overall. I thought they were actually really starting to look like a well functioning team. If it hadn't been for the one man Kellaway show in the first half I think they (The Force) might have run away with things. That Potter pass goes backwards and the mountain might have been a little too far, but an intercept (Gordon) and fortuitous bounce (Daugunu) and the Rebels had a nice little swing that they rode it all the way to the end.

Overall I like what Cron is doing with The Force, but I fear he might be a few cattle short of what they'll need to truly compete in this competition. His bench depth isn't there and the loss of Rodda is a rather big blow. They really haven't gotten a lot out of him in his tenure with all his injuries. The Rebels in comparison have a pretty handy roster, lots of individual talent and ability, some really big powerful players, but they just look sloppy in many elements of their game and seem to lack the focus and discipline (most evident in their defence) that I think will mean they'll be really on and off in games. They don't look as well coached and/or able to bring the consistency that the top of the table teams will have. Hopefully they can tighten up and I suspect this win will be important for the team, but lots of work to do.

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I enjoyed the game to watch, both teams have some glaring deficiencies though. I thought the Force did more with less, there’s some high quality players in the Rebels they shouldn’t be chasing from behind as much as they are.

On paper Rebels should have lead start to finish and strolled in, but the Force did really well in comparison, especially the forward pack in the first half. Scrums excluded, obviously.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)

Looked like 500 people but it's a big stadium so it's deceiving. Probabaly 2-3k

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Crowd was apparently 10,582, down ~5000 from the Friday last year (which also had the Rebels game):

That said, organisers are also claiming interstate and overseas visitors were up in 2024, so crowds may improve over the weekend and the Victorian government might be interested in renewing beyond this year which is the final in the current contract. If they've got the data to back that up it should at least help getting other governments to bid more for it going forward.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I'm watching the replay. A very entertaining game so far, 35 minutes Rebels 12 - Force 17

Sadly the stadium is empty

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
Crowd was apparently 10,582, down ~5000 from the Friday last year (which also had the Rebels game):

That said, organisers are also claiming interstate and overseas visitors were up in 2024, so crowds may improve over the weekend and the Victorian government might be interested in renewing beyond this year which is the final in the current contract. If they've got the data to back that up it should at least help getting other governments to bid more for it going forward.
Please … Super round needs to go to Brisbane or Sydney. That is all.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Williams was causing havoc in the lineout early and they lost their structure. Carter was very good. Forming a great partnership with Kellaway
To an interested outsider, Donaldson was better than Carter in the first half, and Carter got better as the game wore on. I thought Kellaway was actually the best for the Rebels. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) was also very busy but must have some issues in the lineout on the evidence of yesterday's game.

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)
To an interested outsider, Donaldson was better than Carter in the first half, and Carter got better as the game wore on. I thought Kellaway was actually the best for the Rebels. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) was also very busy but must have some issues in the lineout on the evidence of yesterday's game.
I think the problem was that he was pretty much the only jumper from what I could see.