• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 2: Reds v Canes. Sunday.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
As a Canes fan, I looking forward to this with some trepidation (and slightly pissed we haven't got game at home so I can go;)0. Reds seem pretty handy team to me, and although I happy with how Canes went on weekend, this is certainly a fair bit of a step up.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Reds:
1. Alex Hodgman - Sunnybank – Mount Albert Grammar School, Auckland – Suburbs Rugby Football Club, Auckland
2. Matt Faessler – Brothers – Toowoomba Grammar School – USQ Saints
3. Zane Nonggorr – Bond University – The Southport School – Gold Coast Eagles
4. Seru Uru – Wests – Ratu Kadavulevu School, Fiji – Namoli Rugby Club, Fiji
5. Ryan Smith – Brothers – St Patrick’s College, Shorncliffe – Caboolture Snakes
6. Liam Wright (cc) – Easts – Anglican Church Grammar School - Easts
7. Fraser McReight – Brothers – Brisbane Grammar School – Albany Creek Brumbies
8. Harry Wilson – Brothers – St Joseph’s College Gregory Terrace – Gunnedah Red Devils
9. Tate McDermott (cc) University of Queensland – Sunshine Coast Grammar School – Flinders Rugby Club
10. Tom Lynagh – University of Queensland – Epsom College, England – Richmond Rugby Club
11. Jock Campbell – University of Queensland – The Southport School – Inverell Highlanders
12. Hunter Paisami – Wests – Mangere College, Auckland
13. Josh Flook – Brothers – St Joseph’s Nudgee College - Brothers
14. Suliasi Vunivalu – Wests – Saint Kentigern College, Auckland
15. Jordan Petaia – Wests – Brisbane State High School

Reserves:

16. Josh Nasser – University of Queensland – St Joseph’s Gregory Terrace-Easts
17. Peni Ravai – Easts – Ratu Kadavulevu School, Fiji
18. Sef Fa’agase – Sunnybank – Shailer Park State High School – Beaudesert Warriors
19. Cormac Daly - Norths – Ul Riada, Ireland – North Kildare/Kilcock GAA, Ireland
20. John Bryant - Souths - St Laurence’s College - Souths
21. Kalani Thomas – University of Queensland – Ipswich Grammar School - Souths
22. Harry McLaughlin-Phillips - Souths – Brisbane Boy’ College – Gunnedah Red Devils
23. Mac Grealy – University of Queensland – Downlands College – Souths Toowoomba

Last edited:

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
HURRICANES (1-15): Xavier Numea, Asafo Aumua (co-c), Tyrel Lomax, Caleb Delany, Isaia Walker-Leawere, TK Howden, Peter Lakai, Brayden Iose, Cam Roigard, Brett Cameron, Kini Naholo, Jordie Barrett (co-c), Billy Proctor, Josh Moorby, Ruben Love

RESERVES: James O'Reilly, Pouri Rakete-Stones, Pasilio Tosi, Justin Sangster, Veveni Lasaqa, Jordi Viljoen, Riley Higgins, Salesi Rayasi

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Unfortunately no Toomaga-Allen for the Reds. Otherwise Campbell swapping with Grealy is the only change for the Reds.

Looks like both Kirifi and Flanders pulled up hurt after the Force game, big outs for the Canes.

Filipo Daugunu

Peter Burge (5)
Huge losses for the Canes both Kirifi and Flanders gone. Paisami needs to have a huge game if we are to take the W, Force last week got no go-forward in the mid-field, Paisami needs to spear-head the attack. Massive chance for the Reds, all the best team.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Unfortunately no Toomaga-Allen for the Reds. Otherwise Campbell swapping with Grealy is the only change for the Reds.

Looks like both Kirifi and Flanders pulled up hurt after the Force game, big outs for the Canes.
Looks like Kirifi and Flanders out for a few weeks too, the reserve loosie Lasaqa isn't a fully contracted player, so will be interesting.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
As much as I'd prefer to see Campbell and Petaia swap it's great to see continuity for both the team and Petaia. To come away with no injuries and no need to change things massively puts us in a great position this weekend.
I hope they just stick with Petaia now. He needs time in the saddle to cut out the technical errors like the kick he shanked in the last game. He won't be able to do that if they just move him back to wing again.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I hope they just stick with Petaia now. He needs time in the saddle to cut out the technical errors like the kick he shanked in the last game. He won't be able to do that if they just move him back to wing again.
Yeah, I'm coming around to that thinking. I do wonder if Campbell might also be a bit more comfortable on the wing in a team playing with a fair bit more structure than it has in the past.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
When he first broke in he did so as a winger and was excellent. Certainly seemed to struggle there last year but hopefully that was mainly injury related.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Shanking kicks is not the biggest issue, these days even the best kickers seem to do this with some regularity.

I think not dropping the ball and retaining possession for his team when tackled is what I would like to seem him work on.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I'm not saying they was were shit.

However, it is worth noting that every Brumbies fan thinks I was saying they were shit because I wasn't praising them and prepared to kiss the hem of their robe.
Narr couldn't give a fuck what you think :) It never even crossed my mind till just now. We played the Rebels, they were shit, we were alright.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
It looks like* Doleman is listed as ref for this one, nice little bonus to get the same ref 2 weeks in a row early in the season. Both teams took a bit of time feeling his interpretations at the ruck out early on so hopefully we can really hit the ground running there this weekend.

*I say looks like because Paul Williams was listed for last week's game but Doleman ended up with the whistle and in at least one spot on rugby.com.au they have Jordan Way listed instead.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
It may be as simple as taking the 3s at penalty time? Should we be doing that v the kiwis or just back our lineout and maul more?
I'd expect them to take the freebies if offered. I know it's only round 2 but a win for the Reds this week would position them well when wins v NZ sides are hard to come by.

I think the Canes start as favourites but it's the second week of the trip for them and the Reds coming off a strong win. Plenty of reasons to be positive. Love to see Tate follow on FMs hip. The Wilson McReight link ups look dangerous and they just need Tate, Jock or Grealy off the hip and they're away.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Should be a win for the reds on paper. But if not, it will again highlight the gulf between guys who are in wallaby talks in Australia Vs guys who are just making the NZ Super Rugby teams.
Do Reds have more starters at test level the Hurricanes? bases on last years RWC is Reds have 3 starting wallabies in Tate, Petaia and Mcreight.

Nongorr was there in the 23 through AAA injury, and Vunivalu & Faesller was on the periphery of matchday selections.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
This should be the match of the round.

Expecting a soup-style 180-proof benzine boomfa-fest.

Canes 55
Reds 25

Should be a win for the reds on paper.
Gr8xPv.gif