• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 3: Waratahs v Highlanders - Friday 8 March 2024

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
Genuine question. Name me one Tahs player with ‘mongrel’.

just one...

The Reds have plenty.
The Brumbies have chippy blokes, which is nearly as good

we’ve got Tarquin Pemberton-Smythe from Scots

FMD

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
Tahs should have won that by plenty, unfortunately similar traits across Australian teams against the Kiwis we simply don’t close them out, reds exactly the same last week. Our quality of play is good however Aussie teams just don’t know how to win ATM when it gets tight.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

just one...

The Reds have plenty.

FMD

how do you define mongrel?

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
Tough for Tane… thought the spot was closer in to where the infringement occurred?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Gamble let a lot of opportunities to get on the ball go begging, Murphy was paying good contest and the highlanders got good pay where Gamble couldn't mostly because he folded over without really attacking the ball. Hanigan was a bit the same but would then give away the penalty by latching afterwards. He did get one good steal but more generally his (and Gleeson's) error rate was too high. Vailanu was much better at the ruck than any of the backrow. Additionally, if you can't secure your own ball it probably means your back row is doing something wrong.
Gamble hasn't been as impactful since coming back from injury. I also thought failing to reward Lee-Warner for a solid outing was the wrong call. Hanigan stunk the joint out with a series of really annoying errors.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

just one...

The Reds have plenty.

FMD
The whole team showed mongrel last week IMO. The defensive intensity in this game was down several notches except, IMO, for Vailanu who made a couple of errors but otherwise had good impact I thought.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
We started the game asleep. I'm not sure how good are the Landers this year. Let's see what happens