• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 3: Waratahs v Highlanders - Friday 8 March 2024

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
What's the story with Miles? They talked him up big time but he has had minimal impact to date. Seems to have a very low work rate.
There were a couple of guys here (Derpus?) who stated he is going fine and of course he is young. Ollie Chessum the pommie lock is 23 and ripping into it. He was 21 years and 4 months on his first game for England, so I don't want to hear this 'too young' bullshit.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Gamble hasn't been as impactful since coming back from injury. I also thought failing to reward Lee-Warner for a solid outing was the wrong call. Hanigan stunk the joint out with a series of really annoying errors.
Different game, much more pressure from a well organised set of pigs creates errors

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Unfortuneaely mate the trouble with many so called supporters. They support winning, but not teams as such? I would suggest Tahs suppoerters should be out there giving them support , it does help I believe.

You make a fair point, so let me elaborate now I've calmed down.

Factor The First: Time.
From my place in Western Sydney, it's a 90 minute trip, because I take public transport to avoid traffic.
(Driving the car would take about as long due to traffic, and cost about $30 in fuel, $50 in tolls and parking, not to mention just giving me the shits).

Factor The Second: Performance.
It isn't all about winning for me. There were some good signs last night, sure. And there was some utter dross.
Week 1 we were dire. Week 2 we played well. Week 3 we were back closer to Week 1. Do I spend my money in future on the promise of Week 2 or Week 3? Forget the scorelines, how am I being encouraged to return?

Factor The Third: EOB.
Every Other Bastard - to your point about Tahs supporters getting out there and getting behind the team.
We've established I live further from the ground than most of the "good rugby people" in the eastern suburbs heartland.
Crowd last night was low 13k - I did my bit so where was everyone else?
giphy.gif

This has been happening since we won the comp in 2014; ~61k to the GF at Olympic Park to see us win the thing, and then ~17k at the first home game next year.

Factor The Fourth: Practicality
We're about to enter a time of year where I start running a rugby club fulltime. This means if they're going to play games on a Friday night (raffle night at the pub for us) or Saturday (game day) the logistics become nearly impossible. Sunday afternoon honestly would work except that means 2-3 days per weekend spent on rugby. Not something my family would support ;)

Factor The Fifth: Refereeing
As a ref, I shouldn't cast stones, and I know a few refs on here (you know who you are :) ) will have knitted brows at this point, so I'll be as diplomatic as possible:
There are some officials in the upper echelons of our game (domestic and foreign) whose contribution to a positive outcome is not optimal.
(I should join RA with that kind of word salad)
It isn't even necessarily the perception of inconsistency or application of our very complex Law book.
It is that they just don't seem to have a feel for the game; this is a limiting factor for good games, where teams are being positive. It is definitely a negative for scrappy games like last night where the teams aren't always being positive.

We need to take some pressure off officials by shaving back the Laws. At the same time, we need to nurture and promote an attitude of putting the fans first. This is difficult where players, clubs and coaches have money riding on the outcome, and will gladly pooch our game wholesale if it means they keep their job.

I keep meaning to rewrite the Law book to be better, and have a few notes already. Still have to filter out the number of swear words.

Factor The Sixth: Freebie
There's a function I'll be attending at the ground later in the year.
So when I say "Last Tahs ticket I'll pay for this year" that doesn't preclude my attendance, necessarily.

Last edited:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
You make a fair point, so let me elaborate now I've calmed down.

Factor The First: Time.
From my place in Western Sydney, it's a 90 minute trip, because I take public transport to avoid traffic.
(Driving the car would take about as long due to traffic, and cost about $30 in fuel, $50 in tolls and parking, not to mention just giving me the shits).

Factor The Second: Performance.
It isn't all about winning for me. There were some good signs last night, sure. And there was some utter dross.
Week 1 we were dire. Week 2 we played well. Week 3 we were back closer to Week 1. Do I spend my money in future on the promise of Week 2 or Week 3? Forget the scorelines, how am I being encouraged to return?

Factor The Third: EOB.
Every Other Bastard - to your point about Tahs supporters getting out there and getting behind the team.
We've established I live further from the ground than most of the "good rugby people" in the eastern suburbs heartland.
Crowd last night was low 13k - I did my bit so where was everyone else?
giphy.gif

This has been happening since we won the comp in 2014; ~61k to the GF at Olympic Park to see us win the thing, and then ~17k at the first home game next year.

Factor The Fourth: Practicality
We're about to enter a time of year where I start running a rugby club fulltime. This means if they're going to play games on a Friday night (raffle night at the pub for us) or Saturday (game day) the logistics become nearly impossible. Sunday afternoon honestly would work except that means 2-3 days per weekend spent on rugby. Not something my family would support ;)

As a ref, I shouldn't cast stones, and I know a few refs on here (you know who you are :) ) will have knitted brows at this point, so I'll be as diplomatic as possible:
There are some officials in the upper echelons of our game (domestic and foreign) whose contribution to a positive outcome is not optimal.
It isn't even necessarily the perception of inconsistency or application of our very complex Law book.
It is that they just don't seem to have a feel for the game; this is a limiting factor for good games, where teams are being positive. It is definitely a negative for scrappy games like last night where the teams aren't always being positive.

We need to take some pressure off officials by shaving back the Laws. At the same time, we need to nurture and promote an attitude of putting the fans first. This is difficult where players, clubs and coaches have money riding on the outcome, and will gladly pooch our game wholesale if it means they keep their job.

I keep meaning to rewrite the Law book to be better, and have a few notes already. Still have to filter out the number of swear words.

Factor The Sixth: Freebie
There's a function I'll be attending at the ground later in the year.
So when I say "Last Tahs ticket I'll pay for this year" that doesn't preclude my attendance, necessarily.
Is the rugby heartland really in the Eastern suburbs these days?

Hippo

Frank Nicholson (4)
That's what I keep getting told. I reckon the Northern Beaches does alright tho.
Correct re the Northern Beaches. Multiple junior clubs, the Rats and Manly are regularly competitive at under age state champs, the Rats dominated the colts last year and some good Subbies clubs as well.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't want to promote false hope! But in 2014 we went W-L alternate for the first six or seven rounds. Lost to the Brumbies in Canberra. Didn't lose another game. We are still in early season mode, gradually putting our game plan together because last year we didn't have one all year.

We have two ways to go from here. 2014 or 2023. I don't think its worth writing off the season just yet!

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I don't want to promote false hope! But in 2014 we went W-L alternate for the first six or seven rounds. Lost to the Brumbies in Canberra. Didn't lose another game. We are still in early season mode, gradually putting our game plan together because last year we didn't have one all year.

We have two ways to go from here. 2014 or 2023. I don't think its worth writing off the season just yet!
Your memory of 2014 is about as accurate as the current tahs ruck work.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)

I agree with much of this. When I first started refereeing I joined SRU refs and was disgusted by few of their attitudes. It was as if they were there to penalise the players and bugger the game. We had one ref who sent a supporter out of the ground for yelling an insult at him! How weird is that?
In my time there were not a lot of refs who had played the game, although some had played in school and a couple had played club rugby.
They were much better when I went back in the 90's.

Th0mo

Allen Oxlade (6)
We had one ref who sent a supporter out of the ground for yelling an insult at him! How weird is that?
How sad is it that supporters yell insults at referees at a level and volume they have to stop the game and have someone removed?

But there's alot more coaching these days than I am guessing there would have been back then about material effect and trying to let the game flow but it's hard if players want to push it.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
How sad is it that supporters yell insults at referees at a level and volume they have to stop the game and have someone removed?
I used to find it amusing! I'm wondering when it became sad?
At a quiet point in a game at Drummoyne, some wag shouted out "Get that effing cyclops off the pitch" I had to laugh along with the supporters, It was a great crack.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Yeah in subbies there were some amusing calls - dont know why a bloke would ref a 2nd grade game between 2 smart arse clubs for $50. I applaud you, oh custdoians of the whistle.
Worst one I heard was.... "ref, you suck harder than your wife'...
poor fella stopped the game and gave the group of scallywags a talking to. Pretty poor when I think about it.