• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 4: Hurricanes v Waratahs, Friday 17th March

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Probably closest to strongest Canes team named, maybe Rayasi could of been there.

Hurricanes: Josh Moorby, Julian Savea, Billy Proctor, Jordie Barrett, Kini Naholo, Brett Cameron, Cam Roigard, Ardie Savea (c), Du’Plessis Kirifi, Devan Flanders, Isaia-Walker Leawere, James Blackwell, Tyrel Lomax, Asafo Aumua, Xavier Numua. Reserves: Dane Coles, Pouri Rakete-Stones, Pasilio Tosi, Dominic Bird, Brayden Iose, Jamie Booth, Aidan Morgan, Bailyn Sullivan.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I look at this and think, it'd be nice to still have James Ramm or even Jack Maddocks around (though the later was not where he needed to be at the end)... or after seeing him on the weekend, that Mack Hansen guy doesn't look bad.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Probably closest to strongest Canes team named, maybe Rayasi could of been there.

Hurricanes: Josh Moorby, Julian Savea, Billy Proctor, Jordie Barrett, Kini Naholo, Brett Cameron, Cam Roigard, Ardie Savea (c), Du’Plessis Kirifi, Devan Flanders, Isaia-Walker Leawere, James Blackwell, Tyrel Lomax, Asafo Aumua, Xavier Numua. Reserves: Dane Coles, Pouri Rakete-Stones, Pasilio Tosi, Dominic Bird, Brayden Iose, Jamie Booth, Aidan Morgan, Bailyn Sullivan.
That's a pretty decent Canes team. At home. Ardie returning. I can see this game getting messy for the Tah's if they're not careful.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I look at this and think, it'd be nice to still have James Ramm or even Jack Maddocks around (though the later was not where he needed to be at the end)... or after seeing him on the weekend, that Mack Hansen guy doesn't look bad.
We need a proper second row and a winger who can plays 80 minutes, not a retired athlete like Nadolo

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
People have been bagging Nadolo for last week but I thought he had some really quality involvements. Im sure he will be disappointed in hinself for not scoring that try, hardly the only one on the field that made mistakes which led to missed chances. It's nothing new that he gets targeted in behind, has his whole career. With Jorg, Mark and Donaldson on the field you guys should be able to cover those kicks behind.

Set piece you could even chuck Nems at 10/12 and put Donaldson back at 15. Tactics for tactics.

I think with the cattle available starting him is a good option. Run him until he is done. His big body should be a great weapon in those conditions. Tuipuloto to 13 and Perese to wing when the time comes. Or Donaldson to 15, Jorg to wing. You guys have plenty of options.

Hopefully the pack gets some parity and let donaldson control the game and unleash the backs. I'm expecting a big game from Gamble to show his wares. Had an uncharacteristic game last week and week before.

I want to see the tahs do well, soo much talent in that group.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I like you Purce, think there too much talent in Tahs for them to keep struggling, and as a Canes man kind of hope this week isnt the time they decide to fire. Canes weakness I think is mainly around 2nd row , and depending on how weather holds out could be interesting.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
People have been bagging Nadolo for last week but I thought he had some really quality involvements. Im sure he will be disappointed in hinself for not scoring that try, hardly the only one on the field that made mistakes which led to missed chances. It's nothing new that he gets targeted in behind, has his whole career.
There are two parts of the game, attack and defence, Nadolo has always been a beast in attack, but he has to work harder in defense. he has to track back hard to give Jorg support options, chase kicks hard, keep alignment in defense etc etc

Marce

John Thornett (49)
There are two parts of the game, attack and defence, Nadolo has always been a beast in attack, but he has to work harder in defense. he has to track back hard to give Jorg support options, chase kicks hard, keep alignment in defense etc etc
He can't play 80 minutes. That's a big problem if you play at the wing.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
A bad weather always favors the weak side. It's gonna be a mud fight. In that case put your strong players on field

Swinton at 10 my call, defending channel 1
You're missing the headline on that forecast, the issue isn't so much the rain and the wet as it is the wind. The cake tin does all sorts of things to that wind and it'll likely be swirling in a way he's not used to, being inexperienced with stadium rugby. He's going to have his work cut out for him under the highball.

Jorgensen's a talented kid so hopefully he pulls it off, but it's about the worst conditions possible for his first professional game at fullback.

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
You're missing the headline on that forecast, the issue isn't so much the rain and the wet as it is the wind. The cake tin does all sorts of things to that wind and it'll likely be swirling in a way he's not used to, being inexperienced with stadium rugby. He's going to have his work cut out for him under the highball.

Jorgensen's a talented kid so hopefully he pulls it off, but it's about the worst conditions possible for his first professional game at fullback.

It is certainly one way to quickly determine if he is up to playing 15 for the rest of the season or not.

TBH the only other option was Donaldson at the back, although he's played there so far this year he is a natural 10, hardly a much safer option.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
You're missing the headline on that forecast, the issue isn't so much the rain and the wet as it is the wind. The cake tin does all sorts of things to that wind and it'll likely be swirling in a way he's not used to, being inexperienced with stadium rugby. He's going to have his work cut out for him under the highball. Jorgensen's a talented kid so hopefully he pulls it off, but it's about the worst conditions possible for his first professional game at fullback.
I take that for granted. Is not Wellington a famous windy city? Hurricanes took their name from there? I'm more concerned about Nadolo's hands TBH