• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 4 : Rebels v Reds. Friday Night (Melbourne)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I was impressed by the Reds efforts off the ball to give the distributor options and their support play, they looked very well coached, everyone new their role

I was also impressed with Leota at 8, he bent the line all night

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Just caught up on this thread… gee what a win for the reds! Top 4 finish is where we are trending. I think we will host a super rugby playoff match if we stay in form and healthy…

Speaking of health. New rule. We can’t mention a player playing great and then having a selection headache problem because of depth. Absolutely gutted for Isaac Henry but looks like it’s Paisami time to be next man up.

also I don’t think Isaac Henry did his ACL. If he did that’s the first time I’ve seen someone have the green whistle morphine for a acl. Probably a break of some sort?

and finally RA needs to sort out their issues with referee depth. I don’t think it’s appropriate that Queensland referees should be reffing qld games (in a perfect world) there’s was a couple of plays which qld biasism might of shown. Suli not releasing the ball when he clearly was on his knees and a couple of clean outs where reds left their feet clearing out. I suspect we might of had a closer scoreline had the reds not been reffed by qlders…

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
And I’m not saying Berry and co are crooks reffing qld games. I’m just talking about having referees where you eliminate any doubt of biasism.

saw some of the rebels fans I follow on social media complain about some forward passes that were missed

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Based on Footes comments, some players will be getting dropped next week. Tupou might be dropped from the 23, would be massive if so

I know Mafi didn’t play last night but he’s running around 10kg heavier than last year as well.

Rebels fans are going to call this sour grapes, but there’s a reason some of these blokes moved down there and it wasn’t to play for a winning team. Training habits and expectations are significantly different, particularly when compared to the Thorn era. And honestly it’s showing.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Based on Footes comments, some players will be getting dropped next week. Tupou might be dropped from the 23, would be massive if so
Given the scrum held up strongly without him it's hard to argue Pone wouldn't bring more around the ground at the moment.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
On the flip side hats off to Sam Talakai who is playing as well as I’ve seen him play.

And Lukhan Salakai-Loto sure doesn’t look out of shape.

I was hoping the change of environment would really help bring out the best in Tupou but so far it isn’t looking great.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
And I’m not saying Berry and co are crooks reffing qld games. I’m just talking about having referees where you eliminate any doubt of biasism.

saw some of the rebels fans I follow on social media complain about some forward passes that were missed
I find Berry is usually the opposite when he refs us - misses alot an 50/50 calls usually go against the Reds.

It's as if he's intentionally trying to not show any bias.....

Wilson

David Codey (61)
On the flip side hats off to Sam Talakai who is playing as well as I’ve seen him play.

And Lukhan Salakai-Loto sure doesn’t look out of shape.

I was hoping the change of environment would really help bring out the best in Tupou but so far it isn’t looking great.
Salakaia-Loto had been playing well, but I thought he was poor in this game - 3 turnovers conceded (mostly from dropping balls he should've held onto), missed a quarter of all his tackle attempts (4/16) and generally looked to be playing flat and without energy. I wouldn't be surprised if he's still getting his fitness back up to Super Rugby pace and a few hard weeks on the trot have taken their toll, but you need your senior players like him to be standing up from the start in games like this. If Foote is looking to make changes I won't be surprised to see him swapped for Tualima next week, who I thought brought a lot more energy in his half from the bench.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Salakaia-Loto had been playing well, but I thought he was poor in this game - 3 turnovers conceded (mostly from dropping balls he should've held onto), missed a quarter of all his tackle attempts (4/16) and generally looked to be playing flat and without energy. I wouldn't be surprised if he's still getting his fitness back up to Super Rugby pace and a few hard weeks on the trot have taken their toll, but you need your senior players like him to be standing up from the start in games like this. If Foote is looking to make changes I won't be surprised to see him swapped for Tualima next week, who I thought brought a lot more energy in his half from the bench.
I agree he wasn’t good last night. I didn’t think fitness was the issue other than maybe the Reds were really up tempo in the first half and the Rebels pack as a whole were off the pace. In games like that your big guys often get isolated and look bad. There were a couple of times where I thought he rushed up, but the guys either side didn’t and he got found out without it necessarily being all his fault. Agree though that overall last night he wasn’t great whatever the reason.

I guess my main point though was that some of the Rebels players seem to be in good nick, but certainly some less so.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Salakaia-Loto had been playing well, but I thought he was poor in this game - 3 turnovers conceded (mostly from dropping balls he should've held onto),
He's not blameless, but he sure wouldn't be too happy with his half back for some of the passes.

Reactions: dru

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I find Berry is usually the opposite when he refs us - misses alot an 50/50 calls usually go against the Reds.

It's as if he's intentionally trying to not show any bias.....

I think that every referee has that in back of their mind when refereeing their home town team.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
He was pretty integral last week during the chiefs 26 phases. But ok.
He's clearly very good. But watch the two Chief's tries last week as well as the winger's try just after half time last night and Ekuasi's charge through before the try around 54min.

Wilson didn't make an effective tackle on any of them.

The tries aren't his fault but I think even he would agree that he needs to do better

Last edited:

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
The one needing to be dropped is Foote, the Rebels are playing like a second level SA team. All bash and no brains what a waste.
Tupoa is becoming a problem, and seems to lack commitment. Maybe it is building confidence after injury thing but the easiest way to get injured again is to not go hard.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
From a Wallabies perspective, I hope TT gets to play every minute of the SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) competition in order to regain fitness and form. We are very light on for THPs across the franchises at the moment.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Well done Reds, Everytime you went left you had a extra man on that side to attack with.

Berry should not be allowed to ref the Reds, it's clear he lets them away with 50/50 calls and is stricter on the opposite side. His also just poor at managing off side, and break down work.

Rebels have a great squad, but still have the worst coach. Never should have been resigned last year and it's showing this year. Attack is scoring enough points to win games, just constantly giving teams to many easy trys. Two gifts and one forward pass and that game is close.

Pone needs to play next week, drop Thor and give him a kick in the ass. Not sure what Gibbon was doing wrong to be pulled that early though.

Rebels wings last night were disappointing, Anderson looks a lot slower and Dave just does not manage a game at all. Rebels really need a second player at 12, might be worth playing Kellaway there and see how it goes next week as we going to give up a lot of points anyway.

Actually thought Gordan controlled the attack well, he just needs some more support on the field.

Uelese and hookers are not the line out issue, it's the callers and jumpers. Philip was a shocking caller and last night it showed again, line out in the attacking 22 and going to the back instead of front middle to secure ball.

Still think the Rebels can make the bottom half of the eight, but need to iron out a few things. Hopefully Foote has the guts to say that was poor, we are training on the weekend.