• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 5 - Brumbies v Reds GIO 18/3

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Top of the table clash and a bit of nice rivalry has been built over the last couple of years.

I know that these threads often become a tongue in cheek race to claim underdog status - but it will be a huge effort for the Reds to topple the Brumbies this week.

Bumbies doing what they do - good players working in their systems with rookies coming in seamlessly to fill their role. Good depth and a couple of their big guns - Valetini in particular, but also Ala'alatoa, Slipper, pick any lock, White, Simone & Banks, have been in smashing form.

On the Reds side, whilst Saturday was a bit bumpy I’d have to say I’m pretty happy with the form of most of the players too. The backrow has been superb, halves solid, centre very good and back 3 excellent. Locks have been industrious and it is good to see Blyth is having a consistent run and, to me, looks to be improving each week. We’ll miss McDermott, Salakai-Loto and Mafi the most but then Thomas and Nasser both pretty good on the weekend as were the locks. Ultimately injuries are part of footy and the Reds will have no excuses if they can’t get the job done. Tupou could be the key - Reds scrum hasn’t been the weapon this year it was last year (and Brumbies scrum has stepped up). But if Tupou can get on top (certainly not a given) it’ll give us something to work off. (Although Brumbies probably fancy having a crack at our lineout in return.)

Can’t wait until Friday.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The front row and the scrum all revolves around Tupou. We are struggling to get a LHP to really stand up and whoever it is will be up against AAA. I'm guessing (hoping) Fokuaita get's the gig. Nasser was very good on Saturday, but he remains in many eyes our 3rd string hooker at best? He'll be up against a Wallaby rake anyway you cut it.

The backrow is exceptional and they'll need to be at their best to combat the Brumby trio. The home team locks have it over ours, assuming Frost returns. All it takes is a niggle on our side and we're done for lock options.

White's a no-brainer over our rooky 9s. They've had enthusiasm but this is White's game. Similar JOC (James O'Connor) v Loloesio. Noah has looked quite poor I reckon. Considering the cattle around him his decision making / option taking has let him down. JOC (James O'Connor) is controlling things nicely.

The unheralded battle of the match is at 12 though. Stewart v Simone, although how exciting will a Banks v Petaia fullback off be? Obviously they won't come mano-a-mano as the 12s will.

Reds have won so many games they shouldn't have. I'll be blown away if they can do it again this weekend.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Brumbies players to somehow forget ALL the laws of the game when on defence inside their own 22.

Just guessin'

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Issac Henry has to be about due back right? If so I expect he'll come onto the bench for Creighton.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The front row and the scrum all revolves around Tupou. We are struggling to get a LHP to really stand up and whoever it is will be up against AAA. I'm guessing (hoping) Fokuaita get's the gig. Nasser was very good on Saturday, but he remains in many eyes our 3rd string hooker at best? He'll be up against a Wallaby rake anyway you cut it.

The backrow is exceptional and they'll need to be at their best to combat the Brumby trio. The home team locks have it over ours, assuming Frost returns. All it takes is a niggle on our side and we're done for lock options.

White's a no-brainer over our rooky 9s. They've had enthusiasm but this is White's game. Similar JOC (James O'Connor) v Loloesio. Noah has looked quite poor I reckon. Considering the cattle around him his decision making / option taking has let him down. JOC (James O'Connor) is controlling things nicely.

The unheralded battle of the match is at 12 though. Stewart v Simone, although how exciting will a Banks v Petaia fullback off be? Obviously they won't come mano-a-mano as the 12s will.

Reds have won so many games they shouldn't have. I'll be blown away if they can do it again this weekend.
Agree on the battle of 12s Reg - both Stewart & Simone have been in fantastic forms for their relative teams.

Llikewise Paisami v Ikitau - I don’t feel Paisami will be at all keen as being the placeholder for Kerevi on the Wallabies so I think he’d love to win that battle.

Looking forward to Flook v Wright as well.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Great game, I don't think the Brumbies have been in awesome form yet, but they have been getting the job done, Red's pretty much the same except for they looked a class above against the Force.

Big game, looking forward to it being another cracker, and it will be the match of the round

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Yeap - I'm somewhat glad this game is happening down in Canberra rather than Suncorp. You want to ensure you're winning all your home games and considering the injury list now, the silver lining is, we not expected to win in Canberra.

From memory, Wright is the only person that we may expect back this week?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yeap - I'm somewhat glad this game is happening down in Canberra rather than Suncorp. You want to ensure you're winning all your home games and considering the injury list now, the silver lining is, we not expected to win in Canberra.

From memory, Wright is the only person that we may expect back this week?

Wright a timely return given our ineffectiveness at the breakdown. Uru was fantastic on Saturday but broadly we were inaccurate v the Drua and that is one of Wright's strengths

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I would bring Wright off the bench, use Seru’s added bulk in the starting lineup help to stop the Brumbies primary attacking weapon, the rolling maul. Having Wright off the bench might help stop the second half fade-outs.

Izack Henry is the other player returning from injury, can’t see him breaking into the 23. Maybe ahead of Grealy who hasn’t been used much off the bench. .

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Honestly I'm more worried about that from the Reds atm. Our discipline has been atrocious this season
Hahaha, true. The Reds are just doing crazy stuff all over the park atm

The Brumbies just do the most obviously cynical stuff only in their 22 and only on defence.

Can't understand the rules? Bad

Totally understand the rules and deliberately break it in the most cynical and obvious way imaginable? Worse.

It just makes the game unbearable to watch and does literally nothing for us as a rugby nation.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I would bring Wright off the bench, use Seru’s added bulk in the starting lineup help to stop the Brumbies primary attacking weapon, the rolling maul. Having Wright off the bench might help stop the second half fade-outs.
Not sure how well you can really plan to stop rolling mauls these days. I would prefer Wright starting to give us some more firepower in the breakdown and hopefully avoid the need to be defending a rolling maul at the death to win us the game.

There is nothing scarier than a full-team-obstruction from the Brumbies when the hooter goes, 0.0001% survival rate.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Hahaha, true. The Reds are just doing crazy stuff all over the park atm

The Brumbies just do the most obviously cynical stuff only in their 22 and only on defence.

Can't understand the rules? Bad

Totally understand the rules and deliberately break it in the most cynical and obvious way imaginable? Worse.

It just makes the game unbearable to watch and does literally nothing for us as a rugby nation.
Seriously... every friggen team infringe when scrambling in defense... its not that they want to it's just happens when trying to keep teams out, you think they should just let the other team score..

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Seriously... every friggen team infringe when scrambling in defense... its not that they want to it's just happens when trying to keep teams out, you think they should just let the other team score..
Hahahahabahaha

Brumbies players will stand 3 metres offside right in front of the referee - get pinged for a penalty advantage and then the very next ruck one of the Brumbies players will just walk around the ruck, pick the ball up and look straight at the ref to force the penalty.

That's not scrambling in defence. That's just blatantly infringing to force a kick at goal and a reset at halfway.

That's not what any other team does in the competition. They all at least try to defend.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I agree that the Brumbies have stronger systems in play but the Reds have more dangerous game breakers. Top of the list, imo, is Paisami. Very likely to break any defensive line at any time. Next of course is Tupou. Close to the tryline, just who can stop him? Then there is the combination of Wilson and McReight. Absolutely able to dismantle any defence. Fortunately, for the Brumbies, Tate is missing. He is just one more very dangerous player and will be missed by the Reds.

The Brumbies, otoh, rely of gaining the upper hand at set piece and making team plays. Unfortunately, I reckon Reg has identified a weakness in those structures in the poor form of Noah. Noah, to my mind, is slipping behind a couple of other Wallaby No 10 contenders, and JOC (James O'Connor) could have a field day.

Reg's other point of interest was that the No 15s won't play mano on mano. I think this is one game where that contest just might eventuate. Both are currently in good running form and are very likely to come face to face on a number of occasions
in the course of the match

Anyway, different teams with different styles and both are at the top of the tree in Aus rugby. Unfortunately, the unmentionable 31st person on the pitch is likely to have a decisive influence on the outcome.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Can we not start bitching about the refs before we even hit the field. No offence BR, but your really stating to come across as a serial complainer. And, despite all the stick I like to give you, I have always thought you were better than that.

The ref will absolutely have a critical outcome on the game. One of the teams will almost certainly manage the ref better than the other. Both teams will get the off lucky call. Some of those might be very lucky. But that’s rugby. Teams get every chance to familiarise themselves with the ref and his mannerisms.

Whatever the refs influence the players get every opportunity to decide the game. If they leave themselves up to the mercy of 1-2 bad calls, well tough luck.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Quite prepared to leave it til after the game TSR. Not in any way trying to predict how this week's ref will control the game. While not wanting to constantly blame referee errors or questionable decisions, a bit more accountability on their part would not go astray.