• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 5: Drua v Waratahs - Saturday 12pm AEDT

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
It’s a hard one in terms of getting a result though.

You want player development but the Tahs have also had two close losses and you can understand Coleman wanting Gordon out there as long as possible.
I have felt Jake has been playing extremely well this year….. great pass, loves a run …. As long as he keeps those high kicks to a minimum…. 9 and 10 really need to play maximum minutes…. Hard for the replacements though…

Hogan

Peter Burge (5)
I have felt Jake has been playing extremely well this year….. great pass, loves a run …. As long as he keeps those high kicks to a minimum…. 9 and 10 really need to play maximum minutes…. Hard for the replacements though…
Jake overplays his hand imo which combined with Edmed’s preference to kick is resulting in their talented backline being starved of possession. The little amount of ball they received last week they made good use of. Makes no sense at all when you have skilful attacking players like Perese, Pietsch, Reilly, Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) and Jorgensen on the end of your backline. Poor coaching from Coleman imo.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
He has which is making the selections tricker IMO.

I think most on here had written him off rightly if you look at the last two seasons. People seemed content to move onto Teddy Wilson over the course of the year who is a more traditional 9 but has a bit of a Nick Phipps turn of speed (NOT PASS) on him when needed.

Gordons highlights are always individual moments which are good but don't build a team. He's never got a highlight package of dictating play and picking a team apart. Must be hard to be a 10 and even a backrower with him when you don't know what is around the corner. I bet training looks different to games with a guy like him. He can't help it. Probably would have been a weapon in 7s.

Hogan

Peter Burge (5)
He has which is making the selections tricker IMO.

I think most on here had written him off rightly if you look at the last two seasons. People seemed content to move onto Teddy Wilson over the course of the year who is a more traditional 9 but has a bit of a Nick Phipps turn of speed (NOT PASS) on him when needed.

Gordons highlights are always individual moments which are good but don't build a team. He's never got a highlight package of dictating play and picking a team apart. Must be hard to be a 10 and even a backrower with him when you don't know what is around the corner. I bet training looks different to games with a guy like him. He can't help it. Probably would have been a weapon in 7s.
Yes agree.

No doubt at all that Gordon is a good player, but not convinced he is a good team player. As u correctly say, all of his highlights are individual ones. In my opinion he stifles the fluency of the backline. Last year in particular, I lost count of the number of times that the backs had overlaps but the ball never got out. This can also be contributed to Coleman’s insistence on playing off Gordon as opposed to their 10’s. Might be why players like Perese are moving on?

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
Yes agree.

No doubt at all that Gordon is a good player, but not convinced he is a good team player. As u correctly say, all of his highlights are individual ones. In my opinion he stifles the fluency of the backline. Last year in particular, I lost count of the number of times that the backs had overlaps but the ball never got out. This can also be contributed to Coleman’s insistence on playing off Gordon as opposed to their 10’s. Might be why players like Perese are moving on?
Or Marky not getting many chances this year….

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yes agree.

Perese is always as best 13 cover at test level, a fit Ikitau is daylight better, so that means contractually he is a fringe option $$$ wise and $$$ wins in the end, I hope he kills it O/S

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Or Marky not getting many chances this year….

Marky has reverted to his norm so far, he chooses the 1% hero option instead of the sensible option far too often, They are glorious when they come off but I can't get out of my head the regular time where he puts so much pressure on his team mates

I will go back to the Highlanders game for an example, instead of putting his body on the line and diving on a loose ball, he did a kick pass WTF

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Marky has reverted to his norm so far, he chooses the 1% hero option instead of the sensible option far too often, They are glorious when they come off but I can't get out of my head the regular time where he puts so much pressure on his team mates

I will go back to the Highlanders game for an example, instead of putting his body on the line and diving on a loose ball, he did a kick pass WTF
I actually don't think the NRL is going to go all that well for him, he'll miss the Lions and be back for a crack in 2026

Marce

John Thornett (49)
C'mon lads!

1000235533.jpg

Wilson

David Codey (61)
5 minutes hammering the line for tahs and no pay, Fiji respond with a long range try as soon as they get out of the 22. Looking like a long afternoon for the tahs at this point.