• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 5 : Force v Reds - Perth

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Reds are on a roll and Force struggling with injuries depleting their squad. Reds travelling to Melbourne and now across to Perth so travel could be a factor.

Reds need to make sure they need to keep momentum while the Force just want a win in front of their fans. Getting White back will help for the Force but it would be a pretty big turn around in form.

From a Reds point of view I’d like to see Lynagh back in and I presume Paisami will come back in at 12. Selection of the back 3 will be interesting as Grealy has been going well and I think Petaia’s form was a bit off before his head knock. As for the forwards - wind em up, let Van the Man give them a pre-game pep talk and send them out again.

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
Reds should be way too strong for the Force…. Although…. If the Force can reduce their penalty count, it would definitely help their chances of a massive upset… I do like the way they are playing in attack…

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Reds should have this one comfortably on form but it's important we maintain our focus and control this game for the 80. We've been guilty of second half switch offs to varying degrees every game this year and it's important to put that to bed before the Brumbies game next week. The Force are not without weapons out there and will hurt us if we let them, but with their injuries that'll likely only happen if we open the door for them first.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
There have been periods this year when the Force have looked very good. They’ve just had trouble maintaining it for 80. Last weekend was pretty ugly - but a week can be a long time in footy.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yeah. This is more a banana skin game for us than the Rebels game. We SHOULD win but the Force could well be absolutely firing after their dire game last week. Cron should have them absolutely juiced and ready to go. They won’t be caught by surprise as to the speed of the game like the Rebels were. The likes of Tizzano, Horton, Stewart, Anstee will help slow the ruck down more. That could be enough to throw off the Reds.

Reactions: TSR

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The Force have brought us unstuck plenty of times in the past. And they normally ambush at least one team a year at home. I agree Reds should be healthy favourites but we’ve seen enough times in the past if you get ahead of yourself or treat an opposition without the due respect it bites you in the arse.

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
Some admirable efforts here by Reds fans to talk up the Force and try to acquire the underdog label. A full strength Reds side should put 30 - 40 points on the Force the way they are playing atm. A half-strength side should win by 20 - 30.
Correct. If they are as good as they look so far. Good sides though won’t use travel, unlucky or just an off night though if they happen to get beaten. They let the Rebels come back at them last week…. Still … Reds by 20.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
From a force perspective hoping to see Moli
on the bench, hopefully White back and starting. Keep Anstee at 6, Kiwi guy on bench and Wells still out

Spink back hopefully but go with a 5/3 split and put Kuenzle on the bench to cover 10/12/13 with IFL and O’Donnell also on bench.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I'm more than a bit scared about what the Reds might do to us this weekend.
I am nervous we are going to Perth. We have lost games in the past we should have won over there. I watch that Rolled video when we are going badly to cheer myself up. Never seen us play like that in Perth though.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I am nervous we are going to Perth. We have lost games in the past we should have won over there. I watch that Rolled video when we are going badly to cheer myself up. Never seen us play like that in Perth though.
Our last visit to Perth, while not perfect, was pretty good:

Force had there patches in that game but we won with a bonus point in the end. O'Connor played one of his best games, effectively ending Godwin's Wallaby aspirations by repeatedly slicing through his channel with ease. Only a few days after the 22 floods too, I remember it feeling like a pretty special performance at the time as a result.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Think a game in 2023 may have slipped your mind Wilson (edit - it hadn't)

The Force have the best record against the Reds compared to any other Australian team

Reds - Played 25 won 10
Tahs - Played 25 won 8
Rebels - Played 22 won 7
Brumbies - Played 27, won 5

Although the Reds have put 184 points through the Force away (edit - not just in Perth!) over the last 4 games

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Think a game in 2023 may have slipped your mind Wilson

The Force have the best record against the Reds compared to any other Australian team

Reds - Played 25 won 10
Tahs - Played 25 won 8
Rebels - Played 22 won 7
Brumbies - Played 27, won 5

Although the Reds have put 184 points through the Force in Perth over the last 4 games
Bold of you to think I would forget a Reds game so recent - there wasn't one in Perth for the Reds in 2023. There were a couple of other victories though.
1710894078327.png

A bonus point win in Melbourne for Super Round:

And a solid victory at Suncorp later in the season:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Reds:
1. Peni Ravai – Easts – Ratu Kadavulevu School, Fiji
2. Matt Faessler – Brothers – Toowoomba Grammar School – USQ Saints 

3. Zane Nonggorr – Bond University – The Southport School – Gold Coast Eagles
4. Seru Uru – Wests – Ratu Kadavulevu School, Fiji – Namoli Rugby Club, Fiji
5. Ryan Smith – Brothers – St Patrick’s College, Shorncliffe – Caboolture Snakes
6. Liam Wright (cc) – Easts – Anglican Church Grammar School - Easts
7. Fraser McReight – Brothers – Brisbane Grammar School – Albany Creek Brumbies
8. Harry Wilson – Brothers – St Joseph’s College Gregory Terrace – Gunnedah Red Devils
9. Tate McDermott (cc) University of Queensland – Sunshine Coast Grammar School – Flinders Rugby Club
10. Tom Lynagh – University of Queensland- Epsom College, England – Richmond Rugby Club
11. Mac Grealy – University of Queensland – Downlands College – Souths Toowoomba
12. Hunter Paisami – Wests – Mangere College, Auckland
13. Josh Flook – Brothers – St Joseph’s Nudgee College - Brothers
14. Suliasi Vunivalu – Wests – Saint Kentigern College, Auckland
15. Jock Campbell – University of Queensland – The Southport School – Inverell Highlanders 

Reserves: 

16. Josh Nasser – University of Queensland – St Joseph’s Gregory Terrace-Easts
17. George Blake - Bond University - The Southport School - Fasi Maufanga Eels, Tonga
18. Jeffery Toomaga-Allen - Norths - Wellington College, NZ
19. Cormac Daly - Norths – Ul Riada, Ireland – North Kildare/Kilcock GAA, Ireland
20. John Bryant - Souths - St Laurence’s College - Souths
21. Kalani Thomas – University of Queensland – Ipswich Grammar School - Souths
22. Harry McLaughlin-Phillips - Souths – Brisbane Boys’ College – Gunnedah Red Devils
23. Taj Annan – Souths – Brisbane Boys College – Merewether Carlton

Wilson

David Codey (61)
FORCE (1-15): Ryan Coxon, Tom Horton, Santiago Medrano, Thomas Franklin, Jeremy Williams (c), Tim Anstee, Carlo Tizzano, Will Harris, Nic White, Ben Donaldson, Chase Tiatia, Hamish Stewart, Sam Spink, Bayley Kuenzle, Harry Potter

RESERVES: Ben Funnell, Josh Bartlett, Tiaan Tauakipulu, Lopeti Faifua, Reed Prinsep, Issak Fines-Leleiwasa, Max Burey, George Poolman