• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 6: Reds v Brumbies

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
There was a real lazy clean out from a Brumbies player in the last 2 min that could of been a penalty. Was so stupid to do at that stage of the game. Lucky

Awesome game to watch

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
Ugh. Our mistake rate this last couple of games has been terrible. Cost us today big time. Good time for a bye. Team needs a reset.

Brumbies such a good outfit. There’s a lot of average in that team but they find there ways to win. Bravo.
Where's the average out of interest? I don't know that they're below standard in more positions than Qld. Swain has copped a pizzling on here again tonight but one dumb penalty aside had a very effective 80 minutes.

Reds will be very flat they've burned the Forve game to focus on tonight and come away with nothing.

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
There was a real lazy clean out from a Brumbies player in the last 2 min that could of been a penalty. Was so stupid to do at that stage of the game. Lucky

Awesome game to watch
How’s the reds prop cleaning out with his shoulder 60 min in just before the reds get the penalty and score from it. Much worse.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Where's the average out of interest? I don't know that they're below standard in more positions than Qld. Swain has copped a pizzling on here again tonight but one dumb penalty aside had a very effective 80 minutes.

Reds will be very flat they've burned the Forve game to focus on tonight and come away with nothing.
I think a guy like Tua or Sapsford would be rated below their opposites but perform in the Brumbies system. Wouldn’t be the same performance if put in other sides.

Maybe not below standard but below the opposition in this game.

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
I think a guy like Tua or Sapsford would be rated below their opposites but perform in the Brumbies system. Wouldn’t be the same performance if put in other sides.

You'd make the same argument about the reds props/winger, I think the sides are evenly matched on paper.

Alex Sharpe

Chris McKivat (8)
Ugh. Our mistake rate this last couple of games has been terrible. Cost us today big time. Good time for a bye. Team needs a reset.

Brumbies such a good outfit. There’s a lot of average in that team but they find there ways to win. Bravo.
There are still players to return for the Brumbies. Ikitau, AAAA, Debz, Muirhead. That will iron out the elements of average

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Now, that was an enjoyable game. By far the best two Australian teams atm.

Crieghton will rue that kick that he just put too much on.

I thought Lolesio and Wright looked well composed in that game with Noah's kicking being the difference in the end. I think both of them are making a pretty clear statement through action.

I also found it a great irony that it was the Red's maul which was getting them so much payoff against a team who were often criticised for being a one trick pony (pun intended :) )

There was great effort and intent by both teams, but it always felt like the Brumbies breakdown work, defence and control was just a little better. Where the Reds shone was once they got some flow with their running rugby. They have some lovely interplay in tight. That opening stanza when they had a lot of tempo they were looking great, but once things settled the Brumbies organisation and defence just looked better.

Last edited:

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

LOL. Tua probably again won the metres gained among the centres. No matter how average Sapsford might appear to Reds supporters he is a couple of levels above Grealy who must dream of being average one day.

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
LOL. Tua probably again won the metres gained among the centres. No matter how average Sapsford might appear to Reds supporters he is a couple of levels above Grealy who must dream of being average one day.
Let's not get carried away, but tonight was another demonstration of people getting ahead of themselves re Paisami. Heavy shoulders, runs hard but not a threat vs well organised/top level defences.

Tua was solid and as good you'd hope he could be without being anything more.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I thought individually the Reds starting 15 played overall better than their counter parts, but the Brumbies finishers played better than the Reds finishers.

Wright had a more influencial game than Jock who had some pretty horrible miss reads in defence.

Bobby V played better than Wright but Wilson was better than whoever was at at for the Brumbies. That Line out steal By Harry was fantastic to see.

Lyanghs first half penalty miss and the Brumbies disrupting the Reds line out during the first 20-30 along with the momentum killers the Brumbies forced into the Reds through dropped ball or miss kicks was the biggest difference.

The Brumbies looked pretty rudderless with ball in hand when they're between the 50-22m. I lost track how much side to side they went in the second half.

It wasn't until Wright was given room in the Reds defensive 22 did you worry about conceeding a try.

Lawson really did nothing to cement his place of HMP. Really needed someone to direct traffic in that last 3-5 minutes of play. That dead ball kick wasnt a game breaker but it definitely sets you back when you need to be in the oppositions half to get some points.

That last 10-15 minutes of constant scrum resets is such a buzz kill at the game. Happy for the Ref to reset it but I'd be stopping the clock until the ball is out the back of a scrum.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Good game.

Number of unforced errors as concerning as Tahs v Rebs, which was not at this standard of Match.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Won’t lie - I’m pretty gutted. Reds had opportunities to get what would have been a really important win but just made too many mistakes, particularly in the first half. Congrats Brumbies and all their fans.

Brumbies forced a lot of errors and put a lot of pressure on, particularly at set peice. But the Reds also dropped a few cold and threw a couple of poor passes when the space was there.

I thought Tom Wright was excellent and Noah’s composure under pressure deserves praise. I actually thought Creighton livened our attack up when he came on and, at first, I thought his kick was a beauty. Not to be. Unfortunately sometimes you live or die on the finest of margins.

At the ground both Wilson & Valetini seemed immense to me. Wilson seems to have found that late step at times to get past the contact point - although he also ran over a couple of guys too. Valetini is a wall in defence. Which one was better - I don’t think there is as much in it whichever way wh you pick it. I think Schmidt will be pretty happy with how they are both going. Wilson and McReight are Qld’s everywhere men and offer so much. Harry even got a lineout steal at 2.

Plenty of other good performances - Charlie Cale was noticeable. I actually thought that Mac Grealy was very good and has been all year. Not sure he has to worry about making it to average. Ravai & Uru had some great moments.

Final things - at the ground I thought O’Keefe did a really good job. Not saying he was perfect and I think he could have sped up the scrums. But i thought on balance he was very good.

I enjoyed the efforts of the game day crew. Pre-game and half time were full of music and crowd interaction. There were cringeworthy bits but most of it was good and fhe crowd (around me at least) seemed to really enjoy themselves.

I hope Lonergan’s recovery goes well. Injury looked horrid.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I thought individually the Reds starting 15 played overall better than their counter parts, but the Brumbies finishers played better than the Reds finishers.

Wright had a more influencial game than Jock who had some pretty horrible miss reads in defence.

Bobby V played better than Wright but Wilson was better than whoever was at at for the Brumbies. That Line out steal By Harry was fantastic to see.

Lyanghs first half penalty miss and the Brumbies disrupting the Reds line out during the first 20-30 along with the momentum killers the Brumbies forced into the Reds through dropped ball or miss kicks was the biggest difference.

The Brumbies looked pretty rudderless with ball in hand when they're between the 50-22m. I lost track how much side to side they went in the second half.

It wasn't until Wright was given room in the Reds defensive 22 did you worry about conceeding a try.

Lawson really did nothing to cement his place of HMP. Really needed someone to direct traffic in that last 3-5 minutes of play. That dead ball kick wasnt a game breaker but it definitely sets you back when you need to be in the oppositions half to get some points.

That last 10-15 minutes of constant scrum resets is such a buzz kill at the game. Happy for the Ref to reset it but I'd be stopping the clock until the ball is out the back of a scrum.

Wow talk about Red tinted glasses... The Reds must totally sucks if the Brumbies where so bad.. Although when you only score of mauls you're pretty boring.