• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 8 - Rebels vs Brumbies, Saturday 7:45pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Great stuff. Reb’s virtually completely impotent on attack but kept plugging away. Penalty-wise, with Wacko Jacko on the whistle, anything was a possibility at the end there

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Firstly congrats to the Rebels. You showed amazing fight and won the Glenn Jackson lottery.

Brumbies, hang your heads in shame. An arrogant and dumb performance. You had multiple chances to win that game you couldn't come up with anything. Those most guilty:
Abel should be dropped. Awful line-out throwing. Gave away far to many penalties at the breakdown.
Hawera - Learn how to kick. If you could we would have won. Get Bernie to teach you a thing or two about game management. Other then fancy footwork he's useless.
Toua - run the ball.
Kurindrani - give your pay check back. You did nothing.

Glenn Jackson.... how the hell does a player not get red carded for trying to knee something in the face? connection or no connection that is not on. He's got to be one of the most incompetent refs in super rugby.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Well done to the Rebels in such a bad week. They played extrememly well with 3 in the bin during the game and just wanted it more.

Brumbies handling and execution was poor, in that opening ten, and the missed kicks hurt them too and against Hodge who will have a go from 50m you will always be in danger.

The only sour note was the Timani attempted knee to the head and Mafi having his hands around Sio's eyes in a scuffle.

Reactions: mst

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Strange call by Honetown against Retallick.
That was just mondo bizarro land. Penalised for "taking out opposing player" without even touching anyone. Pinged the wrong guy? No. Nobody even touched anybody. I think he just pinged him because Retallick looked to be running in that particular direction and Jacko's synapse clicked and relayed the message to his flustered brain as if "well, that's probably what he'll do next", whistle blown, penalty awarded, all before he even consciously registered that nothing at all had actually even fucking happened.

Really not up to it.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
That was just mondo bizarro land. Penalised for "taking out opposing player" without even touching anyone. Pinged the wrong guy? No. Nobody even touched anybody. I think he just pinged him because Retallick looked to be running in that particular direction and Jacko's synapse clicked and relayed the message to his flustered brain as if "well, that's probably what he'll do next", whistle blown, penalty awarded, all before he even consciously registered that nothing at all had actually even fucking happened.

Really not up to it.

The replay they showed was wrong.

Retallick threw Fainga'a to the ground past the ruck about 2 phases before the penalty was finally called. Didn't matter in the end though.

Reactions: mst

glass half full

Sydney Middleton (9)
Very disappointing from the Brumbies I have to say. Passing up the penalty in front of the sticks in the first half was somewhat arrogant, and ultimately may have been the difference. Hawera has been a fantastic buy this season but his kicking boot let him down tonight. Three tries to one should be a win every time.

Well done to the Rebels. Defended well in the second half when under a lot of pressure, and the forward pack stood up at the end of the second half.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Larkham must wonder how a 2-man advantage for 10 minutes (and another man advantage later in the game), with 3 tries to 1, can't translate into dominance.
Add it to the long list of ineptitude and cluelessness that is the Brumbies coaching, game-plan and sections in general.

Last week was the demonstration that its not a player issue By his own admission he confirmed that the had let them loose for the first time in that second half. So its clear its a coaching issue.

Funny how in the NRC when you put the combination of Butler, Arnold and Carter together it killed the midfield run and it happened again tonight. Shame its too hard a lesson to learn.

The Larkham - McKeller shackles are really hurting the Brumbies.

If Larkham does wonder about anything it should be how the Rebels backline still have a better running game and more dangerous attack than the Brumbies back-line.

The Rebels 12 has better stats than the 12 & 13 for the Brumbies combined tonight and one of them is a Wallaby!

Maybe Morgan T can give Bernie some attacking tips after his 6 games in Super Rugby as an back-line coach!

I can't not mention the irony of the return of Carter to the line up and as Captain coinciding with the set piece; in particular the line out falling apart.

The Mayor of Perth

Ted Fahey (11)
if ever a game highlighted that we need 4 teams and not 5, this was it. Absolute rubbish. And who thinks Larkham can coach? He has presided over the worst rugby played in the 21 years that the Brumbies have been playing. And the 10 from NZ that no teams in NZ wanted - there's a reason for that, very clearly on show tonight. Give the kid Nick Jooste a go - for the sake of the Brumbies and Australian rugby.

The Mayor of Perth

Ted Fahey (11)
The Brumbies have no plan for playing against 14 or 13 since Larkham took over. And Tim Horan - what a great player. There have been many great players in many sports who have made terrible commentators - Timmy might be the prime example.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Wtf happened to the brumbies. It was a boring game to watch and the brumbies were terrible.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

The Mayor of Perth

Ted Fahey (11)
It has been crystal clear for years that the Brumbies could not be sustained at the high level I (we?) need them to be at in Canberra. Follow the AFL models, especially Hawthorn, and have the Southern Brumbies, representing ACT, VIC and TAS, play about three games in Melbourne.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Timani incredibly lucky. Should have gone red, first for the knee and then for the love tap. Really stupid play.

Rebels scrum did just enough. Pummelled throughout but got the bickies when the cards were down.

Hodge finally scaled back the howitzer's range and dialled in the accuracy.

Rebels, for the first time this season, didn't kick pointlessly.

Koroibete still learning the craft, but showing promise.

Unsung heroes, as usual: Chibba, Colby (the best brother), Mafi and Inman. Thought Stirzaker, Debreczeni and Hodge combined really well too.

Just.Really.FUCKING.Stoked.

!

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Given our run of injuries this year, the difference in approach of team drills for the teams was interesting. Was at the south end, so obviously means I was watching Brums first half, Rebs second. The Brumbies guys just seemed to be doing a hell of a lot more. The Rebels guys came down bit by bit. Brumbies drills were a lot more intense. Rebels seemed to be ambling through theirs. Not something I have given much thought before, but if there is a training similarity the that's a worry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
just back from the game, it was great to get a win, but i'm still not sure how they did it. little ball, predicable and pretty aimless attack, kicking the ball back to the brumbies when you are down a man or two and again at the end when you have to hold on to it for two minutes, taking the shot at goal and not kicking it dead. still winners are grinners :)
edit: i believe there is no more relieved man in Melbourne tonight than TT

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Stirzaker's busts seemed to gain little commentary on Fox. He made at least two gallops through heavy traffic that deserve praise.

Status
Not open for further replies.