• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 9 Bulls V Reds - Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria

B

Bobby Sands

I’ve been impressed by Hockings, reminds me of Rodda when he first made his debut, still needs to fill out some more though.

Hockings is your conventional Nathan Sharpe lineout technican lock. Long levers, good charge down technique, mobile.

Rodda is more your tighthead lock like Thorn, more grunty, good carrier and responsible for much of the scrums power.

The most classic loosehead, tighthead locking combo was of course Matfield & Botha.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Well this game got more interesting with the Rebels getting dusted last night and folau losing their version of give it to Kerevi.
With a Waratahs Rebels game coming these next two games followed by the Rebels return game could really dictate whether the young charges have their tails up eyeing finals footy - or resign to building for next year....

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Prefer ASY (Angus Scott-Young) to start. Higgers needs to step up.

Hope CFS has a big game I'd love it if he could put himself in contention for RWC by having a really strong rest of season.
As a Reds fan I hope you are right as it will help our performance, as a Wallabies fan I am scared that we could be in a position where he is the best possible player for the team.

I wish him well but I think his opportunity to play International Rugby sailed a long time ago

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Well this game got more interesting with the Rebels getting dusted last night and folau losing their version of give it to Kerevi.
With a Waratahs Rebels game coming these next two games followed by the Rebels return game could really dictate whether the young charges have their tails up eyeing finals footy - or resign to building for next year..
If we win, and that's a huge if, things could get interesting. But I'm managing expectations

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
We get a try then immediately allow their lock to waltz through our defensive line. Unbelievably poor.

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
Our tackling has been atrocious tonight. Plenty to work on during the week for Peter Ryan.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
My recording finished at 50mins so I will speak on what I watched, Reds defended for the first 50, they had limited ball in attack and when they did they turned it over through poor ball security, Bulls won the kicking dual early on which allowed them to retain possession and attack from anywhere near the 50m line.

Some poor handling in the forwards, Smith, Wright, Higgers and Rodda all guilty I believe. At half Tate telegraphed his passes and didn't attack the line once, which contributed somewhat to the pressure and poor handling on the backs. Kerevi and the 5/8 both put in some average kicks, not bad, just not good enough at that level at Loftus Stadium.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Not pretty watching. One man show from Kerevi with occasional cameos by Rodda and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto). No support play and Bulls were so much better in contact. Looked like men against boys in the backline.

I actually thought Hardy wasn't too bad in that.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The Red line out was brilliant. Sections of the game where the Bulls really did not jump on our ball. Speaks volumes. How did the stats look for won against the throw? Pretty good I reckon.

OTOH our scrum was punched around the park pretty much all night. One or two exceptions but generally just not good enough. Our kicking/territory game was given a lesson by the Bulls.

Would have called in Sorovi much earlier - McDermot just looked puffed.

Defensive weakness a bit wide of the rucks. Call it the 10-12 channel, but I'm not sure 10 or 12 are defending there. Not exactly a WB barn dance but possibly something that needs work.

Was that really RG Snyman's first game back from injury? He was simply immense.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Bulls 12 seemed to have a field day and they seemed to always have an overlap making big meters when the swun it wide. It seemed like we were playing a man down.
The old heads needed to the slow the tempo down when we were getting blown off the park at the start.

I thought Stewart did very well (dumb penalty aside), like Adam i only watched the first 50 then FF (Folau Fainga'a)'d.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Kerevi really struggled defensively out there. Have a look at how often he ends up tackling no-one/on the floor/conceding ground way past the advantage line in the lead up to the tries.

If he isn't 12 for the Wallabies, this will be why.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I thought the defensive issues came trough the wings and their defensive alignment, they sat back for the kick which opened space up outside, Bulls spread the ball quickly and the Reds inside backs were constantly turning to chase the player on the outside, especially on Touas wing.

I think the Bulls game plan wasn’t what the Reds expected

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I thought the defensive issues came trough the wings and their defensive alignment, they sat back for the kick which opened space up outside, Bulls spread the ball quickly and the Reds inside backs were constantly turning to chase the player on the outside, especially on Touas wing.

Completely agree. Whilst individual performance obviously impacts, I suspect there is an alignment and (not sure I'm using the word right) strategy issue here.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I thought the reds played a little better than they normally do at Loftus.

So that's a plus.

Sorta.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

Thats a good point you raise Adam. IMHO think it also applies applies to the Rebels game. I believe we are (Aussie teams and coaches), still thinking old school and our game plays are set that way as well; the NZ way is all about the backs, the SA way is all about the forwards). We tend to focus on one. Meanwhile we have in the last 24 hours the Bulls and Stormers evolving to play a hybrid mix similar to the Kiwis. IMHO, the fact its two elements simultaneously seems beyond the comprehension of Aussie Rugby.