• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
He was by any standard a total flop, best that he departed, though the poor decision to appoint him will now have far less than optimal consequences this close to Rio 2016.

I think given his results in Canada, the Aussie results seem, on the surface, a bit underwhelming. However, John did deliver our best season since the Olympic decision/impact and our 2nd best season out of the last 13.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I think given his results in Canada, the Aussie results seem, on the surface, a bit underwhelming. However, John did deliver our best season since the Olympic decision/impact and our 2nd best season out of the last 13.

Well fine, if that's our happy level of acceptance and low aspiration (for an Australian rugby elite sports team) whilst at the same time not as yet qualifying for the Olympics, heaven help us in Mens 7s.

Given the far more demanding recent history of re-crafting our Womens 7s team, building as they have to a remarkable world-rank position from many rookies to 7s etc, whilst also qualifying well for Rio, the HC of that team IMO has done a far superior job to John, and no doubt for a lot less money.

Him I am prepared to salute.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Former ACT Brumbies outside centre Stephan Van Der Walt has been signed to the 7’s programme on a six-month contract.

Aussie 7's are off to NZ for six matches over three days from 12-14 September in their buildup to the Olympic qualifier in November.

Australian Men's Sevens squad for tour to New Zealand:
Allan Fa'alava'au
Pama Fou
Lewis Holland
Henry Hutchison
Greg Jeloudev
Ed Jenkins
Tom Lucas
Pat McCutcheon
Sam Myers
Afa Pakalani
Jesse Parahi
Peter Schuster
James Stannard
Stephan Van Der Walt
Michael Wells
Tom Connor (uncontracted - NSW Development)
Sean Cox (uncontracted - Queensland Development)
Fred Durrough (uncontracted - Queensland Development)
James Perlowski (uncontracted - NSW Development)
John Porch (uncontracted - NSW Development)

Con Foley, Tom Cusack, Cameron Clark, Nick Malouf, Shannon Walker and Brad Wilkin were not considered for the tour due to injury.

Full story here: http://www.rugby.com.au/sevens/Arti...16120/Twenty-man-squad-named-for-NZ-tour.aspx

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
well deserved for Stephan Van Der Walt. Was fantastic for Souths in the QPR this year. Meanwhile young Durrough played PRemier Colts for Sunnybank.

Wonder if there is any interest in Junior Laloifi or if his size is seen as a draw back?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
well deserved for Stephan Van Der Walt. Was fantastic for Souths in the QPR this year. Meanwhile young Durrough played PRemier Colts for Sunnybank.

Wonder if there is any interest in Junior Laloifi or if his size is seen as a draw back?

Yep. Has the size and speed to be an asset for the 7s squad. Hope he gets a good go and makes a good fist of the opportunities.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Size shouldn't be an issue. Look at Carlin Isles. Laloifi is at the very least as big as he is. Maybe the Reds have plans for him. Another one I think would be worth a look at an early stage in his career is Perese.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Size shouldn't be an issue. Look at Carlin Isles.

But size has been an issue with Isles. His tackling's improved, but in one-on-one contests, his size can at times present some problems. But Shane Williams came good with that, so I can see Isles or any other smaller player learning how to overcome any major size differences.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
But size has been an issue with Isles. His tackling's improved, but in one-on-one contests, his size can at times present some problems. But Shane Williams came good with that, so I can see Isles or any other smaller player learning how to overcome any major size differences.

Laloifi has the advantage of coming from a Rugby background as opposed to Isles who was as green as they come. He had/has a steep learning curve. Laloifi does not so his size is less of an issue. In fact, Sevens would be his ideal format as I think he may struggle for well, size at higher levels in the 15 man game.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Laloifi has the advantage of coming from a Rugby background as opposed to Isles who was as green as they come.

Isles had an American football background, but that just goes to show how much pads make a difference in gridiron when it comes to tackling technique. It's something that's really drawn my attention, because I wrestled (we didn't have rugby where I grew up in the States), and a good rugby tackle is really similar to a good double-leg takedown or body lock. Even the croc roll is pretty similar to a front headlock series we'd use to either defend in collegiate style or score in freestyle. It also makes me grind my teeth when I see people falling off tackles in gridiron due to lack of technique.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Absolutely nothing about the 6 match series vs NZ but this

For the record, the All Black Sevens won four out of the six games, with the Aussies taking the honours in two of the three games involving the core groups of players.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Two new signings for Australian 7's Announced.

The Australian Rugby Union today announced Simon Kennewell and Stephan van der Walt have signed contracts with the Men's Sevens team while Nick Poulos joins the Qantas Australian Sevens program as Head of Athletic Performance - Men from AFL giants Adelaide Crows.

Tough forward Kennewell, from Collaroy NSW, has signed a contract that ties him to the Sevens program for the next two years. The 18-year-old product of Newington College impressed in the National Youth Sevens Championship in March and played an influential role in the Australian team that won silver at the 2015 Commonwealth Youth Games in Samoa earlier this month.

Full Story here:
http://www.rugby.com.au/sevens/Arti...Walt-sign-with-Australian-Sevens-program.aspx

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If Boxing, Weightlifting (and Rowing - Lightweight Sculls is surely a Rugby Aftermatch event for the backs or the partners) can do it, then Rugby7's should also compete in Weight Classifications at Olympics.

Great footage from a Superheavyweight Division Rugby 7's trial event held at Rat Park recently.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Aussie Thunderbolts squad for the 2015 UON Central Coast Sevens at Wyong Rugby League Club, Wyong:
Tom CUSACK (Canberra Royals, ACT) - Canberra, ACT
Allan FA'ALAVA'AU (Endeavour Hills, VIC) - Melbourne, VIC
Con FOLEY (University of Queensland, QLD) - Fairfield, QLD
Henry HUTCHISON (Randwick, NSW) - Crows Nest, NSW
Greg JELOUDEV (Sydney University) - Sydney, NSW
Boyd KILLINGWORTH (Warringah Rats) - Collaroy, NSW
Pat McCUTCHEON (Sydney University, NSW) - Narromine, NSW
Sam MYERS (Northern Suburbs, NSW) - Grenfell, NSW
Peter SCHUSTER (Northern Suburbs, NSW) - Sydney, NSW
James STANNARD (Souths, QLD) - Brisbane, QLD
Shannon WALKER (Easts, QLD) - Kyogle, NSW
Michael WELLS (Northern Suburbs, NSW) - Sydney, NSW

Games will be streamed on Bar TV.

http://www.rugby.com.au/sevens/Arti...olts-side-named-for-Central-Coast-Sevens.aspx

Good to see Boyd Killingworth getting a run.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Aussie Thunderbolts squad for the 2015 UON Central Coast Sevens at Wyong Rugby League Club, Wyong:
Tom CUSACK (Canberra Royals, ACT) - Canberra, ACT
Allan FA'ALAVA'AU (Endeavour Hills, VIC) - Melbourne, VIC
Con FOLEY (University of Queensland, QLD) - Fairfield, QLD
Henry HUTCHISON (Randwick, NSW) - Crows Nest, NSW
Greg JELOUDEV (Sydney University) - Sydney, NSW
Boyd KILLINGWORTH (Warringah Rats) - Collaroy, NSW
Pat McCUTCHEON (Sydney University, NSW) - Narromine, NSW
Sam MYERS (Northern Suburbs, NSW) - Grenfell, NSW
Peter SCHUSTER (Northern Suburbs, NSW) - Sydney, NSW
James STANNARD (Souths, QLD) - Brisbane, QLD
Shannon WALKER (Easts, QLD) - Kyogle, NSW
Michael WELLS (Northern Suburbs, NSW) - Sydney, NSW

Games will be streamed on Bar TV.

http://www.rugby.com.au/sevens/Arti...olts-side-named-for-Central-Coast-Sevens.aspx

Good to see Boyd Killingworth getting a run.

HJ - im surprised there has been such little reference to it when you see some of the teams making the trip.

http://centralcoastsevens.com.au/

international sevens on this weekend on the central coast.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Good stuff ARU. Wonder if the invitation could be made to the Brisbane Clubs? Sunnybank have an excellent 7s program which deserves to be recognised.

To celebrate 100 days until the inaugural Sydney 7s, the Australian Rugby Union today made two announcements that will add even more excitement to what will be an action-packed weekend at Allianz Stadium (6-7 February).

The ARU has announced the launch of the Sydney Club 7s on the Kippax Field, Moore Park (between Anzac Parade and Allianz Stadium).

New South Wales Rugby Union (NSWRU) will host the competition with competing teams vying for a $10,000 prize pool put up by the ARU.

The eight-team tournament, featuring powerhouses of Premiership club rugby, will take place on Saturday 6 February with the Cup Final taking place on the main pitch at Allianz Stadium.

Rob Clarke, General Manager – Professional Rugby at the ARU, said: “The Sydney Club 7s will give fans an additional opportunity to engage with a high-quality Sevens competition on what is already a fun-packed weekend.

T

TOCC

It's strange they the ARU restricting it to just NSW teams, like Reg mentioned teams like Sunnybank have invested a lot of money and resources into it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It's strange they the ARU restricting it to just NSW teams, like Reg mentioned teams like Sunnybank have invested a lot of money and resources into it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably something to do with the cost of bringing players from interstate, I would imagine.