• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Championship in an Aussie bubble?

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Pretty good hit out for a mish mash team. Starting front rows were effective at scrum time and around the field, Isi had some good carries, in fact the forwards held their own against a more experienced pack. Halves were good. Simone bounced back. Tristan Reilly’s chase at the end was impressive. With Rennie searching for the perfect combination you’d think a few players put their hands up.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'd expect Hosea to again come close to a test spot against Argentina. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) a bit quiet but could come in for Slipper if he's out with injury. Interesting that he played LHP this game. Conal McInerney had a very strong game but I don't expect him to force his way into the test side. Naisarani was about the best of the Aussie players and could be considered at 8 in the test side.

Interesting that Valetini was used as one of the main lineout jumpers and did the job quite well, but can't see him displacing Swinton or Wilson from the test side. Simone had a strong game in both attack and defense in the 13 jersey, but actually spent quite a bit of time as first receiver. Set up a nice break for Harrison which should have resulted in a try early on but Will held the ball much too long and then threw a desperate pass under pressure and a try went begging.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yeah, his try off the back of the scrum/ruck? was vintage Isi. I am convinced no other No 8 in the country would score there.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
After watching the Pumas defeat the All Blacks, I believe it reaffirms the criticism of the SARU withdrawing from the rugby championship. Pumas have played less rugby then the Springboks, but didn’t miss a beat.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Just for a bit of fun I ran the rankings as though all of the Saffers cancelled games were treated as forfeits:

4D7266F6-280F-4C95-98C7-9D87BBB44BC5.png

CF95F991-3573-4212-A0C5-F654C69690DC.png

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
France were just appointed a bonus point win over Fiji as they pulled out due to covid

Weird that Fiji cops it but SA are given special treatment

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It’s not the same at all. Fiji are apart of a tournament. They had to forfeit.

SA are not apart of a tournament.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
It’s pretty similar actually, games were due to be played and one side was unable to meet their contractual obligations. I don’t care whether they call it a cancellation or a forfeit but either way it needs to be consistent. Poor Fiji copping a bonus point loss isn’t consistent

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It’s pretty similar actually, games were due to be played and one side was unable to meet their contractual obligations. I don’t care whether they call it a cancellation or a forfeit but either way it needs to be consistent. Poor Fiji copping a bonus point loss isn’t consistent

South Africa withdrew from the tournament so the tournament was changed to four teams.

Fiji haven't.

It will be incredibly unfair if the 28-0 result counts towards World Rugby Rankings but I can't imagine it will. It just counts towards the ladder of that tournament to help produce an overall result.

They are also different bodies making the decisions. This isn't World Rugby.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Correct, the 0-0 draws in the RWC didn't affect rankings but did affect pool standings.

Because no one team was deemed to be at fault. In this scenario Fiji is at “fault”, it’s more logical that their world rankings would be affected than not

I guess Fiji should just withdraw from the comp now, with the amount of players that have covid I can’t imagine they’ll recover in time to play

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In this scenario Fiji is at “fault”, it’s more logical that their world rankings would be affected than not

I don't think it will have anything to do with World Rugby rankings.

The decision wasn't made by World Rugby to my knowledge.

Reactions: dru

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Does it matter who it was made by?

Yes. From my understanding the decision by the tournament organiser is based on their tournament and isn't an official result.

World Rugby will treat the match as cancelled with no result in terms of rankings rather than the the scoreline decided. I.e. The World Cup matches were declared 0-0 draws for the purpose of the group tables but were considered not to exist as far as rankings points go and aren't a match.

Reactions: dru