• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Conference and Expo

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
What I like about G&GR is that discussion in the forums can genuinely improve your understanding of the game. I take Scott Allen’s columns as a prime example. There is a raft of experience here with knowledgeable coaches, players and observers sharing their thoughts.

I would like this to be extended to a live format in the form of a Rugby Conference and Expo. I have been thinking about this for a while and have noticed that the IRB have started something similar.

http://www.irb.com/newsmedia/mediazone/pressrelease/newsid=2066200.html

I'd love us to have a local (Australia/NZ) version.

Imagine a conference to kick off the season. (By conference I mean lectures and workshops).

· The ARU and the States outline their strategic plans for developing the game

· Coaches discussing game plans and techniques

· Players (professional and amateur) discussing their challenges and how they overcome them

· Referees discussing the laws and the interpretations/development (i.e. the scrum)

· Community rugby discussing success stories for recruitment, fund raising etc.

· Historical lectures on the development of the game in Australia

A once a year meeting such as this would complement an online forum such as G&GR. It could help develop rugby interest further and improve the understanding of game. As G&GR does, it would provide a public link between the professional and amateur sides of the game. Something that I think is really needed.

Accompanying the conference would be an expo where travel package companies, equipment suppliers, local (e.g. Kiama 7s) and international tournaments could spruik themselves.

Perhaps the enterprising guys at G&GR could seize the opportunity or even the ARU. Just a thought.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Mate I love the idea. I think the silence from fellow roarers is that this function would be completely unwilling and unable to host something like this.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
p.Tah it sounds great but we all have day jobs so I don't know who could organise such an exciting venture.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Crashy and Scott, notice how I didn't offer to organise it :)

Perhaps our National Body may like to organise it. They could actually make money from it whilst engaging with the wider rugby community. Occasionally we hear that the ARU and the States meet to discuss rugby matters. We only hear about them through the press. Wouldn't it be nice if they also engaged with THE major stakeholder, the fans.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Great idea! I would come along for sure! If the idea was really grasped with two fists they could make a pretty exciting event out of it. Workshops, key note talks, exhibitors displays etc. Lets not forget about the mandatory 'networking' meetings they usually have after hours at these types of things. The guys in the spirits thread could certainly help out with that bit!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.