• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League players using Rugby as a bargaining chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
FoxSports is reporting that Brett Stewart has been offered $3.5M to play for London Irish. I think it’s just another attempt for someone to use Rugby to boost their NRL salary. I have to say I’m tired of these type of rumours. You'd think the clubs would see through it by now. Over the years there have been some big names who have supposedly been close to making the switch but didn’t for a variety of reason:
Can anyone think of anymore?

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
It's actually Brett Stewart not Glen, and what's wrong with using your value in the market to leverage your position in contract negotiations? It's the standard practice in most other industries, why shouldn't athletes be able to do it as well? It sounds like your problem with it is about the media coverage, but they shouldn't be to blame just because it's a slow news day.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Yes I meant Brett, I've changed it, thanks

With regards to Mason, it was 3rd time time 'lucky' when he went to Union. He indicated he was thinking of going to Union in 2005 and 2009. That's why I included him.

My issue is with some of these players (goes for Union players aswell) using the media to push their cause. Not the media per se, but that's another topic.

Others who have shown 'interest':

Greg Inglis

Dave Taylor

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
The problem isn't the players doing it, they can and should do whatever they can to earn as much as they can while still playing.

The issue is the media running it as a story.

But clearly some people want to know or they would stop running it.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Exactly, it's the bloke next to the author line this should be directed at, not the bloke in the subject line that gets hit every time the media decides to make an event of it. The fact is it's a common interest story, and it gets the hits (it got you reading it and even starting a thread and sharing it) - it sells. The players are pretty well removed from this, typically it's their managers or representatives out sourcing the options and the media gets wind of it, no players are out spruiking like you make out. At the end of the day of you sit back and look at this as a business (as it is for them), and not as a sport like we're use to viewing it as, nothing about it is unreasonable at all.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
At least it's not one of the Australian teams being used as leverage in this story.

You've got to hand it to rugby league, they seem to be capable of producing enormous amounts of "content", primarily through the Daily Telegraph. Everyday there's a new story to generate chatter/outrage amongst the fan base, especially around Origin time.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Exactly, it's the bloke next to the author line this should be directed at, not the bloke in the subject line that gets hit every time the media decides to make an event of it. The fact is it's a common interest story, and it gets the hits (it got you reading it and even starting a thread and sharing it) - it sells. The players are pretty well removed from this, typically it's their managers or representatives out sourcing the options and the media gets wind of it, no players are out spruiking like you make out. At the end of the day of you sit back and look at this as a business (as it is for them), and not as a sport like we're use to viewing it as, nothing about it is unreasonable at all.
I understand but this thread wasn't designed to criticise players. I was asking for other names of players who have used this tactic and not moved to Rugby because I think there have been quite a few. Seeing that many have used the tactic but not crossed over would indicate that his tactic doesn't have much credibility anymore.

Jared Waerea-Hargreaves is another
Tim Moltzen
Richie Fa’aoso
Reni Maitua

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Recently players from union have tried the same tactic, only the other way around (threatening to go to League). Quade is one example. SBW is another, even though he was originally a mungo. I blame Khoder Nasser

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Recently players from union have tried the same tactic, only the other way around (threatening to go to League). Quade is one example. SBW is another, even though he was originally a mungo. I blame Khoder Nasser

Given the relative lack of chatter about league, France, Japan, etc, leading up to Quade's re-signing with the Reds recently, I think Nasser's bluff might have been called. Possibly the Reds reaping the reward of how they handled Genia's contract.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Given the relative lack of chatter about league, France, Japan, etc, leading up to Quade's re-signing with the Reds recently, I think Nasser's bluff might have been called. Possibly the Reds reaping the reward of how they handled Genia's contract.

Either that or Quades bargaining power has severely diminished post his performance at the World Cup and his major injury...

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Or Cooper matured a little, as young men do, and decided he didn't like one year contracts and that he liked playing at the Reds. So he instructed his manager, who works for him and not the other way around as some will suggest, to make it happen.

Sent using Tapatalk

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Or Cooper matured a little, as young men do, and decided he didn't like one year contracts and that he liked playing at the Reds. So he instructed his manager, who works for him and not the other way around as some will suggest, to make it happen.

Sent using Tapatalk

Then celebrated his maturity by getting blotto and having a fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.