• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League players who could have/could make the switch

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Few players who I think would go well.

Billy Slater as a winger or fullback(not sure on his kicking game).
Greg Inglis as a Inside Center.
Cameron Smith as a halfback.
Akila Uate as a winger.
If Paul Gallen was taller he would be a good blindside flanker, but he is about the size of most halfbacks.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He's pretty skinny and Melbourne is cold during Winter.

Maybe he does a log of jogging on the spot to stay warm?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Benji Marshall - a better version of QC (Quade Cooper).

I wonder how someone like Michael Luck would go? He's a tackling machine, has a massive engine and heart, is a fantastic team and club man - the professional athlete. Maybe a Brad Thorn-esque player? I dunno how tall he is....

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Slater also catches the ball on the full from kicks more than any other fullback.....
This is despite teams kicking away from him and sometimes kicking the ball dead to avoid him returning it.

Have a think about what he's have to beat in Rugby once you go past Beale.
Halangahu.....swap him in a heartbeat
Barnes.....kicks aimlessly and doesn't run from fullback
Mogg.....has potential but is a baby Slater
Monaghan......swap him in a heartbeat
Huxley.......next please
Foley....is really a No 10
Coleman........no
Harvey.....impostor
Gerrard.......little past his best
Adam AC....honest but no attacking thrust

W

Waylon

Slater can't defend, catch or kick and is execrable under pressure. Not to mention weak and undersized. That may qualify him for consideration as league's greatest fullback ever but he'd be horribly exposed in union.

Slater is one of the greatest attacking players from either code

He would be a sensation.

That is all

something

Jim Clark (26)
actually.... when does issy folou's contract expire. maybe ARU should poach him seeing as he doesnt mind swapping codes for $$

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I hear Folou is a bit of a flop in ARL. The other league convert.. Hodgeson maybe? QLD player? He's going much better in AFL. Actually i think he had a short stint in Rugby overseas too. He'd be a good recruit too. Anyone know his name again?

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
I hear Folou is a bit of a flop in ARL. The other league convert.. Hodgeson maybe? QLD player? He's going much better in AFL. Actually i think he had a short stint in Rugby overseas too. He'd be a good recruit too. Anyone know his name again?

Karmichael Hunt

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Kieran Foran is one of the few I think would convert well. He's a Kiwi, rugby is in his DNA.

I think Falou would be terrible at Union, I'm so glad the AFL got him before the Rebels did

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)

Karmichael Hunt played a season at Biarritz and loved it apparently. Loved the lifestyle. Top14 rugby is nauseatingly boring, and Biarritz are worse than most (like watching England play 15 years ago) and so Hunt rarely saw much ball but he played well at 13 and life on the Catalan coast.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Karmichael Hunt has been terrific in the AFL this year. He is at least on par with the average AFL player (who have played the game since childhood) and is improving rapidly. I think he will be a star in the next couple of years. Hunt is a genuine athlete and I get the sense that he could succeed in just about any sport he put a serious effort into.

Israel Folau is less of a natural athlete and more someone who is big and fast. He has a year less of AFL than Hunt but I sense that he is less likely to succeed.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Yeh I rated Karimicheal Hunt highly. He had a Cooper-like step but was also a hard tackler and powerful runner. Good origin player. He would be awesome in Rugby

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hunt was a union star in school playing at 12. Played a bit of 10 for Biarritz too, but his main job there was to kick as they played a lot of 9 or 10 man rugby.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
Aren't there quite a few ex-Leaguies running around in Union - like Sonny Bill, Tomane, Vuna, Saffy, Ryan Cross? Tahu did for a while. Barnes was a Bronco way back. Schifcofske started in League and then went back. And there was Rogers and Sailor as well.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Tomane was a union Aus schoolboy, who was grabbed up by the Storm despite an offer from the Reds (academy only though?). There were stories that he wanted to backflip to union before he even started league, I think.
Saffy is a Saffa, where he had a union background.
Vuna also played union in his teens, but switched to league mid teens I think.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
A lot of guys played both as kids, but these guys all started their professional careers in League I think.

KVG91

Stan Wickham (3)
Me and my mates always talk about how much better the wallabies would have been if Inglis played in last years world cup. He is probably the best natural athlete in either codes and when he is in full flight he is a sight to behold. I hate to say but i reckon the world cup could be in different hands if he was our Outside Center last year. Australia hasn't had a 13 the size of Inglis since god knows when. Hes is 195cm or so and hits the scales at 105 for Souths this year. He has all the skills, both in attack and defense.

Ahh if only..

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Tomane was a union Aus schoolboy, who was grabbed up by the Storm despite an offer from the Reds (academy only though?). There were stories that he wanted to backflip to union before he even started league, I think.
Saffy is a Saffa, where he had a union background.
Vuna also played union in his teens, but switched to league mid teens I think.

Saffy went to Joey's in Sydney. Saffa heritage and was born there but he grew up in Sydney for most of his life. hadn't played league until the Tah's dropped him from their juniors team first year out of school and was picked up from the Dragons...