• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League really gives me the shits

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Muttonbird

That's because loig is a very minor sport in your country, mate.
Warriors crowds are consistantly better than Blues crowds. Have been for years, if I'm not mistaken. Auckland is an RL town.

M

Muttonbird

I'm world Champ at sledge hammer golf at Duchess circa 1988 Is that as meaningful as League world champs?
More meaningful than the VFL world champs. Seriously, why can't that "sport" be buried forever?

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
I have a Kiwi friend who maintains that RU and RL (in terms of patronage) are the opposite in NZ. RU is the common sport and RL is the elitist few. Actually I've had that from a couple of my Kiwi friends. Am I being led up the garden path?

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Bob Dwyer's hybrid (league/union) game was in the media this week. I was discussing it with a mate hypothesising that the Kangeroos/wallabies play the ABs/Kiwis. When compiling the teams we couldn't think of one League player that we would pick in the NZ team. Essentailly League players would only fit in the back line. The ABs and Super rugby players IMO would fill the NZ hybrid side. When you have players such as Ranger, Jane, Dagg, Guilford, Carter, Cruden, Nonu, Gear, Sopoaga, Kahui, SBW, Masaga, Maitland, Fruean aiming for a place in the back line it's tough to fit in the Leaguies. I don't think Benji would even make the cut (especially on recent form).

M

Muttonbird

I have a Kiwi friend who maintains that RU and RL (in terms of patronage) are the opposite in NZ. RU is the common sport and RL is the elitist few. Actually I've had that from a couple of my Kiwi friends. Am I being led up the garden path?

You are being led up the garden path. Rugby League is a blue collar sport in NZ but is a good game and well marketed. Also we have just the one NRL team in the country. The Kiwis have a long history. The hotbeds of RL in NZ are currently South Auckland and Waikato but in the past it was the mining West Coast of the South Island aka the mining North of England.

Rugby in general NZ is the default but, in Auckland, Rugby is for the monied elite, the fickle monied elite.

bboowwyy

Frank Row (1)
Bob Dwyer's hybrid (league/union) game was in the media this week. I was discussing it with a mate hypothesising that the Kangeroos/wallabies play the ABs/Kiwis. When compiling the teams we couldn't think of one League player that we would pick in the NZ team. Essentailly League players would only fit in the back line. The ABs and Super rugby players IMO would fill the NZ hybrid side. When you have players such as Ranger, Jane, Dagg, Guilford, Carter, Cruden, Nonu, Gear, Sopoaga, Kahui, SBW, Masaga, Maitland, Fruean aiming for a place in the back line it's tough to fit in the Leaguies. I don't think Benji would even make the cut (especially on recent form).

This is correct. The only player i can think of would be Nightingale on the wing, but whether you'd pick him over bigger all blacks wingers is questionable. With that being said, i think Foran is the most talented player in NZ (either code). But i don't think he is a perfect fit for a single position in a Rugby Union backline.

M

Muttonbird

This is correct. The only player i can think of would be Nightingale on the wing, but whether you'd pick him over bigger all blacks wingers is questionable. With that being said, i think Foran is the most talented player in NZ (either code). But i don't think he is a perfect fit for a single position in a Rugby Union backline.

Annex%20-%20Karloff,%20Boris%20(House%20of%20Frankenstein)_01.jpg

Bob Dwyer on the right, hybrid game on the left.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I don't see the problem?

Hordes of international sporting teams have done a harlem shake video...
Perhaps I've watched it a bit too closely. One guy is rooting an inflatable crocodile, another is rooting a skeleton and the bloke on the cross bar is humping the upright.

Some Harlem Shakes are amusing, but is this what a club should be putting on their official website? Think of the children.......

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
p.Tah - is it that much worse than the Crusaders version?

I don't get this whole Harlem Shake meme. It is the worst meme ever and there have been plenty of terrible ones?

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I hadn't seen the Crusaders one, I have now. You and Slim are probably right. They're both weird.

Polynesian Warriors

Frank Nicholson (4)
Warriors crowds are consistantly better than Blues crowds. Have been for years, if I'm not mistaken. Auckland is an RL town.
I don't think so the Blues have been shi* for awhile but its crowds are still better than the warriors. There are more high school rugby players in Auckland than there are rugby league players in NZ. Rugby isn't a private school sport in auckland or New Zealand.

Nelse

Chris McKivat (8)
I don't mind Rugby League as a game. It's like an action movie. You know what you're going to get, and there's gonna be some excitement, but it doesn't require any strenuous thinking.

It's the Sydney league-bias media. I've read quotes from numerous League commentators recently (Gould, Widler, Johns) saying how good Sonny-Bill is going and he hasn't played the game in 5 years. Its not like he was off playing golf or FIFA13 during that time. He was playing in one of the best football teams in the world, outside one of the best footballers in the world. Of course he's going to improve his game and learn how to throw cut outs.

The other rhetoric is that Rugby is in "the doldrums" generally because the Waratahs aren't playing well. It's akin to someone in the Shire saying Rugby League is in trouble because the Sharks are under investigation, are grinding out wins and close losses and haven't won a premiership. There are people out there who read their cr*p and believe it.

It doesn't help how every Rugby article must either have a picture or mention Isreal Folou.

Alright that's me done

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
What annoys me now is that SBW is being praised as a play maker who can throw cut outs. He was a freaking 12 in rugby, and a damn good one at that, so don't you think he'd have vastly improved his passing game?

Instead the league fraternity drool over SBW because he throws a nice cut out and suddenly he's "back despite playing rugby".

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
What annoys me now is that SBW is being praised as a play maker who can throw cut outs. He was a freaking 12 in rugby, and a damn good one at that, so don't you think he'd have vastly improved his passing game?

Instead the league fraternity drool over SBW because he throws a nice cut out and suddenly he's "back despite playing rugby".

There not going to say, "boy, hasn't his time in Rugby made him a better more versatile player". Would upset their whole narrative to even acknowledge that perhaps there is this other code that is the equal of League and in some cases superior.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Watch the defence in the highlights of Manly vs Bulldogs last night and tell me that's a harder game. Fucking shambolic

Status
Not open for further replies.