• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Stadiums

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Worthwhile chatting about this I reckon. It's one of the big determinants as to attendance at games sometimes.

Let's start with these plans for ANZ Stadium.

Wow. Looks fantastic. You'd have to expect them to make a big play for the Waratahs to make their base out there full time wouldn't you?

Likewise, why wouldn't the Tahs want to play all their games at such a facility?

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
ANZ Stadium

images

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Worthwhile chatting about this I reckon. It's one of the big determinants as to attendance at games sometimes.

Wow. Looks fantastic. You'd have to expect them to make a big play for the Waratahs to make their base out there full time wouldn't you?

Likewise, why wouldn't the Tahs want to play all their games at such a facility?
The key will be the Motorway changes, not that it should be, as the ideal is NOT having a large chunk of 80K punters driving there.
It sounds nice - develop the precinct, fitness club etc... but the reality may well be that there will not be a population group that wants to be a member of a high-end fitness centre facility / stadium package. Membership at Allianz is not "cheap", and I wonder how many locals to Homebush will fork out something similar?
BUT, the moving stands to bring rectangular games close to the crowd is a big plus. The most common gripe about ANZ has been the dull atmosphere if half-full, due to the configuration, and this should be a big improvement. Travelling there is not that big a deal from the East - bus / train combo works well (I'll ignore in advance any blathering from @Pfitzy about the problems with people living elsewhere in Sydney from him :p).
I look forward to it, if it happens.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Yes the rectangular shape will help but it's more the profile of the ANZ stands that affect the experience.
Years ago l saw the side on profiles of the stands at Homebush compared to Twickenham. The difference in gradient or steepness was amazing.
At ANZ, spectators are so far away from the players and only the people in new seating will get any benefit.
I'd like to see Suncorp and ANZ profiles compared as there just isn't a bad seat in Brisbane.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Did you know that when Stadium Australia (ANZ Stadium) was built, an agreement was made by the state government that it was to be the only stadium in Sydney with a > 50k capacity.

When the SCG built their new stand, they increased the overall capacity but they were limited on how much by the ridiculous agreement covering Stadium Australia.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yes the rectangular shape will help but it's more the profile of the ANZ stands that affect the experience.
Years ago l saw the side on profiles of the stands at Homebush compared to Twickenham. The difference in gradient or steepness was amazing.
At ANZ, spectators are so far away from the players and only the people in new seating will get any benefit.
I'd like to see Suncorp and ANZ profiles compared as there just isn't a bad seat in Brisbane.

Agreed.

The MCG is a much better spot to watch rugby from right up the back than ANZ. ANZ is nowhere near steep enough.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The side stands remain a problem largely, but those new end stands will move a lot of punters closer. Maybe the roof will improve the enclosed feeling / atmosphere? In any event, it's an improvement. As one who was at the Tahs' final, with the right numbers, it can still be a good place to be if it's loud enough! The $250 million might be a problem.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

The problem with the stadium isn't the seats behind the posts, or the transport or even the precinct. I go there for league and union and for major events the transport is fine. For the major games there's plenty of good food stalls outside and it's quite a good atmosphere - different from Moore Park, but nothing wrong with it. I also go there for swimming and water polo when it's easy to drive to and get a park and leave afterwards.

The problem with the ground is the side view on the upper levels. You're too far away from the action - the players are like ants. It's a highly unusual design from any ground I've been to in that at most grounds the upper decks extend out and cover somewhere between half and a third of the bottom deck, but at Homebush it's basically positioned behind the ground level so that even the front row of the upper level is a long way from the field. When you get towards the back, you're just too far back.

Imagine Suncorp, but where the back row of the Suncorp upper deck is where the front row of the upper deck starts at Homebush - and then goes further back. As the little promo said - it was purpose built for the Olympics, but they don't come back to town all that often.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Peop
The side stands remain a problem largely, but those new end stands will move a lot of punters closer. Maybe the roof will improve the enclosed feeling / atmosphere? In any event, it's an improvement. As one who was at the Tahs' final, with the right numbers, it can still be a good place to be if it's loud enough! The $250 million might be a problem.
Fair call, people told me that the Tahs final was the best atmosphere they've ever experienced at ANZ, including SOO and whatever else.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ The 2000 NZL vs AUS game at Stadium Australia had 124000 Pfitzys of Atmosphere.

2014 Super Rugby GF registered <70000 Pfitzys of Atmosphere.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
The majority of the 5min video was all touchy feely stuff about how great the precinct and game-day experience will be, no doubt at great expense. They barely touched on the seating deficiencies which still remain. The lower deck sideline seats have always moved in and moving the end seats in makes little difference as watching rugby end-on is crap unless you're an aficionado of backline alignments. They're still crap seats just closer to the goalposts.

It won't change my views on the joint. I went to the Lions Test last year because it was the Lions and the next time I go will probably be the next Lions tour in 11 years.

T

TOCC

The overall issue is that the majority of the seats are up to 50m from the action, if you are sitting on the upper tiers you can barely make out the players.. Sliding some of the pitch side seats closer to the action is a band-aid solution and doesn't address the overall issue.

I don't think there is a fix apart from knocking it down and building a rectangular stadium.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I actually think enclosing it more will make a positive difference. It won't be perfect, but it will be better, and let's face it, they aint gonna knock it down and build a new one.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Enclosing it doesn't make the nose bleed section any closer.
I sat up there for a RWC game,as someone else said,they are like ants.
Anyway,build a new stadium at Liverpool in a marginal seat for $65M or $250M to tart up this place?

T

TOCC

No they won't knock it down, but committing $250million to ANZ lowers the chance of upgrading a rectangular stadium elsewhere, be it Parra or SFS.

Ideally, they could buy a get out clause which restricts competing stadiums of over 50'000 and bring SFS up to a capacity of 55'000.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Enclosing it doesn't make the nose bleed section any closer.
I sat up there for a RWC game,as someone else said,they are like ants.
Anyway,build a new stadium at Liverpool in a marginal seat for $65M or $250M to tart up this place?
No, but it improves the atmosphere. I can deal with the distance from the play a bit better if the place is going off. Just trying to see some positive in the negative maelstrom of this whole fucking forum lately. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.