• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby World Cup 2019

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I guess the point being that we're already 3 weeks into the tournament so theoretically we're outside of the biggest threat time for typhoons. The next point would be how often is there a typhoon this strong so late in the season?

We normally do have end of year tours running right until late November, early December but that is after pretty constant rugby. How much would it have affected teams if we'd had another month before the tournament started? I'd guess that World Rugby has a pretty much locked timetable now days with very little wiggle room and no consideration given for specific weather risks etc.

This sucks and is pretty regrettable but I can't really see a different decision being made even in hindsight.

I wonder, just how much climate change might be pushing back the number and ferocity of typhoons to later in the year?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Really are we going to complain at WR (World Rugby) because the biggest Typhoon to hit Earth this year is coming in and they should of not scheduled the WC for now?? I would be more impressed if all you wise sages had said earlier in year this is risky time to have it :rolleyes:, FFS some of you fellas are determined to lose any vestige of credibility you thought you had!! I surprised you didn't kick uo a stink because WR (World Rugby) should of known their would of been an earthquake in Christchurch before 2011 , so they should never of allowed matches to be scheduled there and had to be moved!!

Dan, people might rant about the poor timing as it has turned out, but your post is really just another rave about how all the administrators get it right all of the time and that they should not be held accountable for anything that goes wrong. It seems to be a theme in many of your posts.

To compare a typhoon occurring in the typhoon season with a totally unpredictable earthquake is really disingenuous. Perhaps you might try to take a more balanced viewpoint of various administrators and their decisions than to always refuse to see things that might have gone wrong.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I repeat KOB ,I would be more impressed if you were posting this in July/August.

As molman says it's not my job to assess the typhoon risk on a RWC in Japan, I have other things to do. Even if I did, what difference would that make?

It's the lack of a contingency plan that irks me. They opted to host the tournament in relatively high risk period, so they were taking a big gamble. Surely their insurance policy could cover the cost of rescheduling a game by a day or two? I said on the other thread, if they played the 'cancelled' games on Sunday or even Monday, it would affect the break between games for a couple of quarter finalists, but that's less unfair than a team not getting an opportunity to make the quarters at all isn't it?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
As molman says it's not my job to assess the typhoon risk on a RWC in Japan, I have other things to do. Even if I did, what difference would that make?

It's the lack of a contingency plan that irks me. They opted to host the tournament in relatively high risk period, so they were taking a big gamble. Surely their insurance policy could cover the cost of rescheduling a game by a day or two? I said on the other thread, if they played the 'cancelled' games on Sunday or even Monday, it would affect the break between games for a couple of quarter finalists, but that's less unfair than a team not getting an opportunity to make the quarters at all isn't it?

Their insurance policy could also make them more money if they cancel altogether. Could be as simple as that from a business perspective.

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
You're on a forum full of speculation and debate and you sound surprised :) at the end of the day I think a lot of us are just disappointed we wont get to see games like England vs. France.

My only consolation in all this is I don't feel like these cancellations really change anything in a standings sense. it would have been good to see a bit more of England before we (the Wallabies) likely play them.

I'm sure France are pissed off that they won't have the chance to beat England and take top spot in the pool!

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)

They've got to come up with a policy that applies to all games in the group stages though. It's unlucky (really unlucky!) that it's these games that have been affected but it could easily have been the Scotland v Russia game (say). There's only 4 days between that game and the Japan game. How would you fairly reschedule that?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
They've got to come up with a policy that applies to all games in the group stages though. It's unlucky (really unlucky!) that it's these games that have been affected but it could easily have been the Scotland v Russia game (say). There's only 4 days between that game and the Japan game. How would you fairly reschedule that?

That's true and maybe the answer is to reschedule if it can be done with a (say) minimum 4 day turnaround for both teams, if not then the game gets cancelled. Anyway, it's done now, I'm sure there is a reason why they haven't done it, but from an outsiders' perspective it looks very doable to cram in a couple of games for Sunday/Monday without too much detriment to the teams involved.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Dan, people might rant about the poor timing as it has turned out, but your post is really just another rave about how all the administrators get it right all of the time and that they should not be held accountable for anything that goes wrong. It seems to be a theme in many of your posts.

To compare a typhoon occurring in the typhoon season with a totally unpredictable earthquake is really disingenuous. Perhaps you might try to take a more balanced viewpoint of various administrators and their decisions than to always refuse to see things that might have gone wrong.

Of course it is disingenuous and was done tongue in cheek FFS! Who the hell think admin does it right all the time, but I still think they make enough mistakes to be cop some crap , but I not sure we can blame them for weather!! I am as pissed off as anyone as if you did read my posts I loving the WC and I would much prefer to see games. What I do find if you say I think admin gets it right all the time (which I don't) ,perhaps you haven't noticed how many will not give them credit with anything, generally without telling us how they would actually improving things. I just can't see things being negative all the time , so sue me and make me miserable too!!!:D

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
And out of interest there is a contingency plan, it is written into the WC rules and agreements it seems and it is being enacted on right now! IE WC rules say that if pool matches can't be played teams split points and for finals the games get moved to another day etc!!

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Be interesting to see what the match cancellations do to the bottom line of the finances, both matches pretty high profile, probably worth a few $million each in ticket sales and corporate packages which all have to be reimbursed.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Scotland being a bunch of pricks and threatening to sue if their game is cancelled despite agreeing to the rules when they signed up.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Scotland being a bunch of pricks and threatening to sue if their game is cancelled despite agreeing to the rules when they signed up.

You know I'm actually ok with this. If it was Australia, I'd want RA to put every kind of pressure on WR (World Rugby) to give us an opportunity to play and potentially still be in the comp (even if it's just a bluff). I mean that's it otherwise. See you 4 years later.

If they can play a day later, why not and if WR (World Rugby) haven't dotted their i's with their participation agreement or there is some conflict between it and the tournament rules they issued, well, let the lawyers work that one out :)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

And if this is true, does make you chuckle;
Early in the week Scotland coach Gregor Townsend joked about ‘Typhoon Haggis’, thinking that it might be the Irish who would be affected, at that stage having no issue with there being no contingency for moving games. “The Ireland game cannot be postponed, it has to be played that day,” he said. “If it cannot be played that day then it’s two points for each team.”

Sometimes you got to be careful what you say !!

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
And if this is true, does make you chuckle;
Early in the week Scotland coach Gregor Townsend joked about ‘Typhoon Haggis’, thinking that it might be the Irish who would be affected, at that stage having no issue with there being no contingency for moving games. “The Ireland game cannot be postponed, it has to be played that day,” he said. “If it cannot be played that day then it’s two points for each team.”

Sometimes you got to be careful what you say !!

Ouch. Yes, it's a bugger when it comes back to bite you like that.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Saw this on reddit, showing the size of the typhoon

3hbhquxvxyr31.png

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Saw this on reddit, showing the size of the typhoon

3hbhquxvxyr31.png

Mother nature at her finest. Outside of all the Rugby (which at the end of the day is just a game/entertainment) I really do hope everyone is ok through all this. Japan sure cops it between its earthquakes, typhoons and other natural disasters.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
You'd never get DA approval to build a country there these days.

I wonder if any of the countries are going back to the documents they got when Japan proposed a world cup there. I'm sure some are flipping through trying to find the about weather section to work out why they voted for Japan to get the hosting rights. I suspect some might have changed their votes if they could get their time machine to work :)

I can see this being a major factor in Australia's 2027 proposals. Earthquakes, nah, Super Typhoons, nah. Nah mate, we don't have rain, just droughts. As much sun as you like :)