• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby World Cup 2023

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Pretty realistic chance this only ends up being two games.

6 weeks for a mid range offence, halved to 3 with an early guilty plea and no previous record and then take off a week for tackle school.
That would mean he misses the Argentina and Japan games, I think. Not the end of the world.

Do England have another trial game? That would effectively reduce the ban to just Argentina.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
He was, but when you fail to use your arm to wrap you really don't have a chance of being cleared do you? Even Farrell pretended to wrap with his tackles.

And that's the thing for me: he was never attempting a tackle, just sticking his shoulder out in a JusticeForFaz moment of ... well, idiocy...

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Pretty realistic chance this only ends up being two games.

6 weeks for a mid range offence, halved to 3 with an early guilty plea and no previous record and then take off a week for tackle school.

Tackle School should be like real school i.e. if one kid in the class gets away with something, everyone should suffer until justice is served.

Additionally, I don't think it is in any way appropriate that "tackle school" is required for anyone earning that much money from playing rugby.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
And that's the thing for me: he was never attempting a tackle, just sticking his shoulder out in a JusticeForFaz moment of ... well, idiocy...
Nigel Owens published his review of Farrell's tackle, and this was a point he made - Farrell's action was "always illegal", he was never going to make a legal tackle - he wasn't dipping, he was leading with a cocked shoulder. Owens' point was that mitigation (red down to yellow or penalty, on field) should not apply when the action was "always illegal".

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Tackle School should be like real school i.e. if one kid in the class gets away with something, everyone should suffer until justice is served.

Additionally, I don't think it is in any way appropriate that "tackle school" is required for anyone earning that much money from playing rugby.
I think from this world cup on tackle school should shift to be a requirement in the first 1-2 years of professional rugby with no reductions available to complete it. Any player who then picks up a ban without having completed it after that time period would cop an extra week on their ban to do tackle school, rather than the reduction they currently get.

At the moment there is a disincentive to attend tackle school until you are banned, so that you still have it as an option to reduce any ban you receive.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
No Israel Folau in the Tonga squad although one spot still to be filled.

Adam Coleman there though.

IMG_3754.jpeg

Last edited:

NCT

Herbert Moran (7)
No Israel Folau in the Tonga squad although one spot still to be filled.

Adam Coleman there though.

View attachment 17331
Reg, do you know what the writing next to their name relates to? I had thought it might be clubs initially but there doesn't seem to be any duplications. Family group maybe? I would be interested in seeing who they all play got, or used to play for (former nations etc).

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reg, do you know what the writing next to their name relates to? I had thought it might be clubs initially but there doesn't seem to be any duplications. Family group maybe? I would be interested in seeing who they all play got, or used to play for (former nations etc).

Tongan villages I believe?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Barring injuries in training or v AB on Saturday (NZT), none of Pollard, Am & de Jager won't be drafted in at the last minute:

"Springbok head coach Jacques Nienaber on Monday confirmed that the 33-man squad announced two weeks ago in Randburg has been submitted to Word Rugby, meaning no alterations can now be made unless there are injuries."

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Barring injuries in training or v AB on Saturday (NZT), none of Pollard, Am & de Jager won't be drafted in at the last minute:

"Springbok head coach Jacques Nienaber on Monday confirmed that the 33-man squad announced two weeks ago in Randburg has been submitted to Word Rugby, meaning no alterations can now be made unless there are injuries."

Pollard will 100% play in the WC. RSA have done the smart thing by bringing the injured player in later rather than carry them through the pool stage.