• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby World Cup 2023

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
So Saturday October 28th, RWC Final is also the same day as Australia v New Zealand in the cricket world cup. Which Starts on October 5th and and goes to November 19th (Rugby Sep 8th to October 28th)

Both sports really screwed this one up. Why Cricket moved the world cup to so late in the year?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
So Saturday October 28th, RWC Final is also the same day as Australia v New Zealand in the cricket world cup. Which Starts on October 5th and and goes to November 19th (Rugby Sep 8th to October 28th)

Both sports really screwed this one up. Why Cricket moved the world cup to so late in the year?
Surely if Australia are somehow in the final, they can move the Aus v NZ match.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)

Not once you apply the timezones -
RWC final: 5am AEST Sunday 29th October
Aus v NZ Cricket: 3pm AEST Saturday 28th October

The cricket is in India and you do know India run cricket and couldn't careless about Rugby and it doesn't really matter Australia won't be in any of the finals

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Stuart Hogg has decided to retire prior to the World Cup.

Without sounding ungrateful or gleeful, I think this is the right call by him for a variety of personal and team based reasons, and I think will be positive for Scotland. Blair Kinghorn has deserved the 15 jersey for at least this season and last, if not before, his versatility and Hoggys incumbency being the only things keeping him out. It also lays a platform for Ollie Smith, who, while lacking more than a little bit of the distribution and rugby brain of the other two, runs excellent lines, is a strong defender, very quick and has a lovely left boot, which will add to the outside back mix nicely.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Stuart Hogg has decided to retire prior to the World Cup.

Without sounding ungrateful or gleeful, I think this is the right call by him for a variety of personal and team based reasons, and I think will be positive for Scotland. Blair Kinghorn has deserved the 15 jersey for at least this season and last, if not before, his versatility and Hoggys incumbency being the only things keeping him out. It also lays a platform for Ollie Smith, who, while lacking more than a little bit of the distribution and rugby brain of the other two, runs excellent lines, is a strong defender, very quick and has a lovely left boot, which will add to the outside back mix nicely.
Bloody good player Hogg, shame he couldn’t stretch it for the Cup.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Bloody good player Hogg, shame he couldn’t stretch it for the Cup.

Absolutely, I 100% don't want to suggest he's been anything but a wonderful servant for Scotland, Glasgow and to a slightly lesser extent Exeter, but I think like many others he came out of that '21 BILs tour with less energy and enthusiasm for the game, and for him in particular, taking into account his shoulder injury in 2019 and the broken cheekbone in the 2017 tour.

Can't help but wonder what his career would've looked like if that collision with Connor Murray didn't happen. He remained a very good player, but never seemed to quite hit the same heights again.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Scotland v France will be interesting of the NH games.

If Fiji are on I think they could give Japan a going over.

Might be underwhelming, but will definitely be interesting. France's first game, will the b team come out, the A team or a mix of both? And will it be something closer to full strength we chuck out there or will the Toonie tombola continue.

A bit unsung, but Bayliss is someone I hope gets another run at it: I'd much prefer to take only two of Darge, Watson and Crosbie when I think 7 is head and shoulders the best position for all of them, plus with Captain Ritchie able to switch sides, I think that squad balance is much stronger with him there.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Interesting last 10 table, NZ now have not lost in there last 10 games. 9 wins and a draw. Georgia really do need to be given promotion/relegation match up in the 6N. Can't have a team with 90% win rate ranked 11th and not given the opportunity.

1690770930172.png

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I saw odds for winning the cup earlier in the thread. Surely Aus' odds have lengthened dramatically.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Pool Predictions

A:
1. France
2. NZ
3. Italy
4. Uruguay
5. Namibia

B:
1. Ireland
2. RSA