• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby World Cup 2023

wamberal99

Syd Malcolm (24)
I guess Ireland have arrived when we're no longer being patronised and starting to cop flak

I have Irish friends (in the North) and have spent a few longish holidays in Ireland. I still remember the RWC in 1991, when we were very close to being beaten by the Irish. Some of the greatest rugby players in my lifetime have been Irish (Mike Gibson, Tony O'Reilly, Willie John, and the list goes on).

But I have to admit that whenever I see Bundee Aki in an Irish jersey, I smirk.

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
I have Irish friends (in the North) and have spent a few longish holidays in Ireland. I still remember the RWC in 1991, when we were very close to being beaten by the Irish. Some of the greatest rugby players in my lifetime have been Irish (Mike Gibson, Tony O'Reilly, Willie John, and the list goes on).

But I have to admit that whenever I see Bundee Aki in an Irish jersey, I smirk.
I wasn't a fan of the three year qualification rule and am glad it's gone however most countries (including Australia) have their share of players born in other countries.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I thought France did a pretty great show of the cup so far. The host cities were generally awash with supporters kitted out on the days around matches. Even in Paris you couldn't walk 2m without crossing an Irish lad five Guinness deep at 10am. Even my airbnb host, a female 75 year old, was chatting to me about Dupont's face injury. The whole country is aware and supportive - is cool. To iterate others here, France my first team to win then Ireland (obviously Fiji if they get to the final). The English surely have to be everyone's least favourite team. Was in Lille for their last match against Samoa (fkn hell, so close) and the fans were so grating.

Even managed to enjoy 60% of that fateful Wales test, can only imagine how much fun the RWC would've been like if we weren't dog shit. I've consumed the least amount of rugby media ever I think in the last few weeks ironically (and sadly). If the Wallabies went semi well I was so ready to part money and buy fuck tonnes of merch. Alas.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Even managed to enjoy 60% of that fateful Wales test, can only imagine how much fun the RWC would've been like if we weren't dog shit. I've consumed the least amount of rugby media ever I think in the last few weeks ironically (and sadly). If the Wallabies went semi well I was so ready to part money and buy fuck tonnes of merch. Alas.
Glad to hear you enjoying it, and do think as you say less media is probably one of reasons?

wamberal99

Syd Malcolm (24)
Grew up in New Zealand/Fiji/Tonga, represented them both at underage and switched to Australia as an adult?
You are starting to pick nits, my friend. I am sure Bundee will have a lovely retirement in Ireland when he finishes playing. Will he do you think?

I am pretty sure that Tupou and Koro will spend their lives here. In other words, they are genuine immigrants. Unlike Bundee.

I am getting bored with this conversation.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
826fka.jpg

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think fundamentally international rugby is a bit of joke, regardless of the country. Everyone poaches from other countries (except the Argies for some reason).

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
You are starting to pick nits, my friend. I am sure Bundee will have a lovely retirement in Ireland when he finishes playing. Will he do you think?

I am pretty sure that Tupou and Koro will spend their lives here. In other words, they are genuine immigrants. Unlike Bundee.

I am getting bored with this conversation.
Apology accepted

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Look I think there is clearly a difference in the Koroibete’s of this world to the James Lowe’s as one moved here before the opportunity to play for the national team was provided, the other only moved there because the offer to play for the national team was provided.

Both by the laws are fine, one significantly more organic than the other. All is fair in love and war and good luck to the teams that do it.

For the record I think a good measure is if the national team reflects the amount of immigration percentages in the country, then that’s fine. If not then the union is clearly running an immigration program. Australia clearly has more percentage of population that’s an immigrant - around 30%, Ireland is around 12% foreign born.

I personally don’t mind what they do, and more importantly I don’t think any Irish fans would care. It also makes our systems look second class with how they can upskill these players that we failed with.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
For the record I think a good measure is if the national team reflects the amount of immigration percentages in the country, then that’s fine. If not then the union is clearly running an immigration program. Australia clearly has more percentage of population that’s an immigrant - around 30%, Ireland is around 12% foreign born.
The flip side of that is that the Irish side is also reflective of their large diaspora, with players like Hansen and Bealham returning on ancestral ties.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I think fundamentally international rugby is a bit of joke, regardless of the country. Everyone poaches from other countries (except the Argies for some reason).
Because the Argies can't afford to? It's gone on for years from all sides including PI teams taking players from other countries because they have some rough link. It is very unfair to say rugby is a joke without throwing same remark to almost every sport. How many Olympic teams are filled with sportsmen who have moved to countries to make it easier/better to compete for spots?

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I honestly think Mack Hansen saw himself about as Irish as a boomerang
Hansen wasn't even getting game time with the Brumbies, I think his move was all about regular game time. He couldn't have pictured that he would have developed the way he has in Galway and burst onto the international scene the way he did.

Also he loves a beer, so he fits right in with the Irish culture. A little to much from chatting with my old boss who owns a few pubs around the place.