• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby World Cup 2023

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I wonder if the left arm clearly wrapping (as much as you can for a should charge) meant the panel didn’t see it as a shoulder charge, but an upright tackle?
For mine it's a shoulder charge clear as day and there's nothing in it that should be called a wrap, but I think you're probably right in the judiciary seeing that part differently.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It should be compared and questioned.

The Pacific Island teams have often been penalised, carded and suspended for hits deemed to be dangerous - even when it was questionable and before there was such an emphasis on head contact. It is VERY rare that they would get away with what Farrell has done here particularly given that he has done this multiple times.

Put him in a Manu Samoa jersey and he would be out for at least 4 weeks - like Moala.
The comparison you want to make is Lappies’ ban not Moala’s which is a completely different type of tackle.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
It should be compared and questioned.

The Pacific Island teams have often been penalised, carded and suspended for hits deemed to be dangerous - even when it was questionable and before there was such an emphasis on head contact. It is VERY rare that they would get away with what Farrell has done here particularly given that he has done this multiple times.

Put him in a Manu Samoa jersey and he would be out for at least 4 weeks - like Moala.
I hear the narrative about PI players and others in "second tier" nations getting treated more harshly but honestly don't know how much water it holds. Will listen to others who've looked into it.

I guess what I'm saying is that Moala and others' foul play and subsequent penalties shouldn't be reconsidered in light of Farrell's outcome, as I think the Farrell situation is flawed. That Faz walks off in a baffling about face is pretty poor optics and precedent but doesn't in any way negate others who've struck the head or tipped players past the horizontal in a tackle (etc. etc).

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Oh God.

IRB, GAGR, wft, it's all starting to unravel for certain individuals.....

crims.jpg

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I wonder if the left arm clearly wrapping (as much as you can for a should charge) meant the panel didn’t see it as a shoulder charge, but an upright tackle?
More of a "flap" from the deceleration of his shoulder hitting the guys head than a wrap as part of a tackle. Note the right arm is firmly tucked to get the shoulder in there.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
More of a "flap" from the deceleration of his shoulder hitting the guys head than a wrap as part of a tackle. Note the right arm is firmly tucked to get the shoulder in there.
His left arm is definitely in a position to wrap (in the most basic sense of the word) pre-contact. The right arm is too at a point, but he does cock it at the moment of impact.

1692154752209.png

1692154825913.png

1692154844931.png

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Just one question. Didn't Tom Banks get off a red card for similar reason just last season?? I didn't really agree with that either.

Th0mo

Allen Oxlade (6)
This is all irrelevant because, as per the "Head Contact Process, 9th March 2023"...

uhcp-en.png

Right there in red and white. "Mitigation will not apply for intentional or always-illegal acts of foul play".
They changed the wording. 2021 version excluded mitigation for highly reckless. https://resources.world.rugby/world...f-18e02e7f7e24/Head_Contact_Process_EN_v1.pdf

It used to be being upright and lack of dip would have precluded mitigation but this revised version seems to have opened the door for more crap tackles to get mitigated down.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I hear the narrative about PI players and others in "second tier" nations getting treated more harshly but honestly don't know how much water it holds. Will listen to others who've looked into it.

I guess what I'm saying is that Moala and others' foul play and subsequent penalties shouldn't be reconsidered in light of Farrell's outcome, as I think the Farrell situation is flawed. That Faz walks off in a baffling about face is pretty poor optics and precedent but doesn't in any way negate others who've struck the head or tipped players past the horizontal in a tackle (etc. etc).
I’m not saying Moala’s incident should be reconsidered. I’m asking why Farrell gets away with this shit repeatedly? And yes, I think a Manu Samoa or Ikale Tahi player would have received a harsher ban.

Ben Ryan apparently wrote in his book that he believed rugby officials made prejudiced decision against the Pacific Islands.

Reactions: Tex

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
F3oiZ_HW0AAcfHx

No real surprises in the Scotland squad. Journeyman Sebastian beats out youngster Walker for the 3rd tighthead, White is fit and sees Dobie drop out, Crosbie comes out ahead of Bath's Bayliss and Rambo doesn't get his retirement swansong.

Fundamentally this is the same squad used in the November Internationals and the 6 Nations. No surprises, no excuses. Tough Pool, but a quality brand of Rugby and only two faces in Stuart Hogg and Johnny Gray missing.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
I’m not saying Moala’s incident should be reconsidered. I’m asking why Farrell gets away with this shit repeatedly? And yes, I think a Manu Samoa or Ikale Tahi player would have received a harsher ban.

Ben Ryan apparently wrote in his book that he believed rugby officials made prejudiced decision against the Pacific Islands.
Again, any evidence to support this?

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Yeah. Everyone other fucken PI player who has been banned for similar or less.

Eliota Fuimaono-Sapolu got banned for tweeting FFS
So you don’t have any evidence? You probably should if you want to throw racism accusations around

Eliota Fuimaono-Sapolu linked the scheduling of the World Cup to slavery, the holocaust and apartheid and got off. Then called Nigel Owens a racist and got a slap on the wrist

He never got banned for tweeting

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

I take it BR you have reason to believe that Croft ,Welborn etc are racist, as that would be only reason wouldn't it? I would think the panel got it wrong, but certainly not on racist grounds. In this case we can only judge what these 3 gentlemen have done and compare to other verdicts they have given other players.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
So you don’t have any evidence? You probably should if you want to throw racism accusations around

Eliota Fuimaono-Sapolu linked the scheduling of the World Cup to slavery, the holocaust and apartheid and got off. Then called Nigel Owens a racist and got a slap on the wrist

He never got banned for tweeting
I have provided evidence. Whether you find it compelling enough is totally up to you but at least myself and Ben Ryan have seen it - probably cos we watch pacific island games.

But feel free to keep claiming racism doesn’t exist.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I take it BR you have reason to believe that Croft ,Welborn etc are racist, as that would be only reason wouldn't it? I would think the panel got it wrong, but certainly not on racist grounds.
I’m saying there is a prejudice against pacific island players.

I’ve seen it - and experienced it - even in the lower grades of a number of sports.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
I have provided evidence. Whether you find it compelling enough is totally up to you but at least myself and Ben Ryan have seen it - probably cos we watch pacific island games.

But feel free to keep claiming racism doesn’t exist.
You haven’t provided anything ffs

and it’s really not on to throw accusations like that around when you can’t cite any proof outside of Ben Ryan “apparently” writing about it in his book