• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby World Cup Matches OTA

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
This WC has been a stinker. Poorly drawn, predictable, loads of blowouts, terrible time slots.

Time to chop it off and flush it.

It hasn't quite lived up to the billing yet, forgetting about our lamentable performance. I think it's got a lot to do with when the games are on for us on this side of the world. The lack of mid-week games has also let the air out of the balloon too.

That said, Ireland v South Africa was one of teh all time great pool matches. I watched Japan v Samoa last night and it was good viewing too.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Yeah this World Cup has been poor. No mid week games makes you feel fatigued and we are still in the pool stage. Apart from Australia losing to Fiji, there hasn’t been a single upset. And Italys performance this morning, after 20 years of 6 nations rugby, an was absolute disgrace to the sport

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
The longest of long bows I would suggest. Dan, yes they were good but us Aussies aren’t really in the mood to praise good performances from our enemies, we‘re all too busy on other threads trying to find solutions to our woes.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Well done fellas, ABs have huge win, so WC is f***ed and of course no suggestion they were any good at all!
Mate congrats on the win, but a score line of 96-17 between two supposedly tier one nations isn’t exactly screaming ‘best World Cup ever’

Yoda

Charlie Fox (21)
Georgia played great and were unlucky not to win. A forward pass ruled just before half time that was dubious and the final play of the game a chance of a try. Fiji were lucky and no bonus point. Great game.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
That Fijian vs Georgia game just pisses me off.
Yeah the forward pass, at least award the try and go upstairs to check, it wasn't obviously forward. It may have been forward but it at least deserved to be looked at like every other try. And then about 20 bombed tries as well.

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
If a NH team is to win I really hope it isn't Ireland. Respect to their Union for getting their programs firing. But it doesn't sit right to me that a team can stuff their 23 with players from Aus, NZ and SA to take themselves to the top level.

I bear no grudges to the players for taking that opportunity, to be clear. Good for them for making a positive move for their careers. Nor is this meant as a xenophobic criticism that they 'can't' be Irish. Nor is it a criticism of the Irish Rugby Union. But it shits me to death that they get so much praise when they have players from fucking Tuggeranong in their XV. Part of this is driven by certain sections of the media/their fanbase who you feel are really putting the cart before the horse.

To jump on the obvious response to this point - that Aus/NZ have been stuffing their teams with Pasifika players for years - the situations are not alike. Those players come to Aus/NZ at a far younger age, far more development work is done by the SH countries and until recently, the opportunities for them to play professionally in their home country was far lessened.

Anyway...hoping for a France win from here on out.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
If a NH team is to win I really hope it isn't Ireland. Respect to their Union for getting their programs firing. But it doesn't sit right to me that a team can stuff their 23 with players from Aus, NZ and SA to take themselves to the top level.

I bear no grudges to the players for taking that opportunity, to be clear. Good for them for making a positive move for their careers. Nor is this meant as a xenophobic criticism that they 'can't' be Irish. Nor is it a criticism of the Irish Rugby Union. But it shits me to death that they get so much praise when they have players from fucking Tuggeranong in their XV. Part of this is driven by certain sections of the media/their fanbase who you feel are really putting the cart before the horse.

To jump on the obvious response to this point - that Aus/NZ have been stuffing their teams with Pasifika players for years - the situations are not alike. Those players come to Aus/NZ at a far younger age, far more development work is done by the SH countries and until recently, the opportunities for them to play professionally in their home country was far lessened.

I think you are on your own with this one.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)

This doesn’t really stand up to scrutiny considering there are only 3 players in their squad that are qualified through residency, and none are Australian or South African

And considering all those players are far better now then they were before they got there, maybe a fair bit of development work was done