• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2011 - Odd shaped balls

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Blob

Oh I don't think it'll end his marriage. He'll cop it for a while though. The very thought of it makes me squirm.

W

Worldcupnut

The thing that always amazes me, and I am no wowser, is that these hugely paid athletes can't stay off the p!ss for what? 6/7 weeks? ( probably less for Engalnd! ) With everything they know about recovery and the effect of alcohol on the body they still continue getting ( obviously ) wasted. The old " aw back in the day......" just doesn't cut it. It's a different era. It's not as if these guys have been saving up their hard earned for an end of year trip.
On the tsk, tsk he's married....hmmmm, missing his brand new bride was he?
Anyway, good luck to him, I guess I'm just jealous I'm not on a junket.

W

Worldcupnut

A security guard working at the bar "stole" the security tape then got dismissed after uploading it on YouTube. Said something about did it because Tindal was not acting like a gentleman but more like he did it because he is one of the many Kiwi's who love Pom Bashing but don't understand why they do.

Wow! Do they stil use VHS in NZ?!

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm far more interested in how anyone (let alone royalty) could marry someone with a nose like Tindalls. I thought the photo had been digitially altered.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
From the fitz files

Dear TFF,

I watched England against Argentina in black jumpers. I am reminded of instructions from my late father when I played juniors. He made sure that I polished my boots, ironed my starched shorts and white laces. His adage was "if you can't be a good footballer, at least dress like a good footballer". Maybe someone told the Poms the same adage.

Will Slatyer

Retired Wrinkled Rat

Couldn't agree more, Will. What were England thinking turning up in jerseys like that in New Zealand? What next? Will their soccer team head to their next match in Brazil dressed in yellow jerseys, just to give the locals the sh-ts?

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/the-fit...p-with-buzz-20110916-1kdv9.html#ixzz1Y9sxHFVO

and this one (because its humour overcomes its non-rugby content):

This post was left at the bottom of an article in the Sri Lankan Daily Mirror, breaking the news that thieves had broken into the home of fast bowler Lasith Malinga and managed to steal 2000 rupees - the equivalent of $18: ''Even our thieves are out of form!''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/the-fit...p-with-buzz-20110916-1kdv9.html#ixzz1Y9tKbRgU

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
The performing of the anthems at this RWC have been awsome. No teenybopper shit and full of dignity.

I was thinking this the other day, it's really good to see. I like the "group/choir" singing the anthems instead of the one person.

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
We had the Green and Gold Choir at Homebush Last Year. Vs The Saffers I think. Awesome. J O'N take note. Lets have more of that

Choirs and Military Style Brass Bands bring the required dignity for Anthems.

Celebrities and Australian Idol Type Reality Show winners do not.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
From Planet Rugby

All Blacks full-back Israel Dagg has left reporters and fans scratching their heads following his unusual try-scoring celebrations.

Dagg has bamboozled many defenders with his clever footwork, his subtle changes of pace and angle. But he had a substantial international media contingent entirely mystified when asked to explain the meaning of the celebration at a news conference.

Dagg scored two tries in New Zealand's 37-17 win over France on Saturday and the unusual manner in which he marked both touchdowns - a cryptic collection of hand and arm gestures - baffled many who witnessed it.

In New Zealand slang, a dag is a humorous person, and Dagg lived up to the name with an explanation which would have stumped the most acerbic sleuth or cryptologist.

"To be honest I can't really talk about it," Dagg said at first, though he was clearly itching to do so.

"I won't be sharing any information about it but I can give you a few clues about it. The first clue is the dog meows. And that's a clue about it. That's one I'll leave you with."

Asked if it might be seen again at the tournament or if it might evolve into something new and even more bewildering, Dagg was equally cryptic.

"It will stay the same," he said. "You might see it come out at some other stage of the tournament or someone random might pull it out. So we'll just have to wait and see."

Pressed for another clue he said, "I'll give you another clue. The laughing bear drives a motorcycle. That's my last clue for today."

Dagg said it was unlikely the celebration would be seen in the Rugby World Cup final, if New Zealand makes it that far. He suggested the occasion might be too august for such frivolity.

All Blacks fly-half Daniel Carter was as bewildered as reporters as he sat next to Dagg through his explanation.

Asked if he knew what Dagg was talking about, Carter replied, "I think he's got this little private gang or thing I'm not associated with. It makes no sense with me."

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
That's how Dagg gets around the 'no-twitter' edict...sending messages to his 'private gang'...

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
England coaches suspended over 'ballgate'

AUCKLAND: England today suspended two staff members for this weekend's World Cup game against Scotland after they controversially swapped balls used for conversions by ace kicker Jonny Wilkinson.

Kicking coach Dave Alred and strength and conditioning staffer Paul Stridgeon were reprimanded and barred from Auckland's Eden Park stadium for Saturday's game following the incident during England's game against Romania.

The two admitted using different balls for conversions than the one used to score the tries, which is against rugby rules, during England's 67-3 win at Stadium Otago. They were warned twice by referee Romain Poite.
Advertisement: Story continues below

"Two members of the team management, David Alred and Paul Stridgeon, mistakenly thought that there was an issue with some of the match balls," said a statement from England's Rugby Football Union (RFU).

"Those team management members took it upon themselves to substitute balls during the match in contravention of both the laws of the game and the spirit of the game.

"The RFU fully accepts that the action of those team management members was incorrect and detrimental to the image of the tournament, the game and to English rugby."

World Cup organisers welcomed the "decisive and timely" move and said no further punishment would be handed out.

The incident followed an uncharacteristically wobbly start to the tournament by the usually reliable Wilkinson, who has landed just 38 percent of his penalties so far.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/rugby-world-cup/england-coaches-suspended-over-ballgate-20110929-1kywn.html

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
One of the occasions was played on the Rugby Club on Fox over the weekend. The trainer just ran on and kicked the ball away, from where it had been placed on/about the 22m line awaiting the Conversion attempt, with a massive hoof towards the sideline.

Couldn't have been any more obvious. Don't know how they thought they could get away with it unobserved.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Am enjoying some of Scotty Stevenson's comments:

Of a maul: "That's how glaciers start"

On Palmerston North: "This is one place where you can ask a girl to wear a bucket on her head." (Mexted - something like: "It used to be a sack.")

On Gorgodze: He's the type of guy you expect to see hanging off the Eiffel Tower holding on to Fay Wray." [Well, it was actually the Chrysler Building but we know what you mean Scotty.]

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
One of the occasions was played on the Rugby Club on Fox over the weekend. The trainer just ran on and kicked the ball away, from where it had been placed on/about the 22m line awaiting the Conversion attempt, with a massive hoof towards the sideline.

Couldn't have been any more obvious. Don't know how they thought they could get away with it unobserved.

How does this work?

A Samoan gets $10000 fine for wearing the wrong mouthguard.
Our Ladies Team gets fined $10000 for advancing on the NZWRT haka.
The English players and team officials conspire to cheat and only two of the three are not allowed to watch a game. The other who MUST have been involved gets of untarnished. I can not believe that Wilko was an innocent party. He would at least have had the power to tell the other two to stuff off with their proposed cheating.

I'm sorry but I was not watching the RWC to see what mouthguards the players were using. For that matter, I am not trying to find out what sort of undies Morne Steyn is wearing in the hope that wearing them may improve my kicking game.

I was not watching the ladies world cup haka. How did the Wallaroos actions damage the IRB brand?

I did see the actions on Fox of the English Cheats. The rest of us at the Club could not believe what we saw. Talk about Melbourne Storm Salary Cap rorts, or Sydney Uni and Randwick imports. That was nothing compared to this happening with the Rugby world's microscope focused on activities in NZ?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
IRB Commercial Protection Gone Mad

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby-world-cup-2011/news/article.cfm?c_id=522&objectid=10755799

....And in breaking News from the RWC,

IRB Spokesperson Doris ffopington-Smythe has announced that Valentin Calafeteanu from the Romanian Oaks had been fined $4500 for breaching the Rugby World Cup advertising guidelines following an exhaustive investigation into a complaint laid by Sportswear giant Nike who have exclusive sponsorship rights for the Rugby World Cup.

Calafeteanu, a 26 year old Carpenter from Bacau in Northern Romania, was reported to be upset with a workmate, who had posted a digitally altered photograph of one of his tattoos on his facebook page and claimed that local tattoo artist Ionel Romentascu had secretly woven the Asics logo into one of Calafeteanu's forearm tattoos. The facebook page claimed that Romentascu had allegedly not charged Calafeteanu for the work.

ffopington-Smythe said "The fine is necessary to ensure that our Sponsors are investments and partnership with the IRB are not undermined by deceptive tactics from commercial entities outside the IRB family".

Romanian Rugby Union President, Ianau Nicolaeske was reported to be irate with this treatment, and would be wearing Calvin Klein underpants at the next IRB meeting in London in protest. Zimmerli of Switzerland are the official underwear supplier to the IRB Directors. He acknowledged that the facebook photographs, which were magnified 15 times and rotated 75 degrees and had been further photoshopped to remove all red and yellow ink, clearly showed an Asics logo in the centre of the dragons back. At last count, the facebook page had received some 30 hits, with 22 of them being from Dennis Denuto of Denuto Davies Castle, the IRB contracted Intellectual Property Legal advisors.

Meanwhile Pumas veteran Rodrigo Roncero has received an official caution from the IRB for wearing unapproved shoelaces to the Queenstown nightclub "Altitude", and not ironing his shirt with a Kenwood iron before leaving the team hotel on a recent day off.

Status
Not open for further replies.