• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2011 - Quarter final 3 : Springbokke v. Wallabies CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The funniest part of the game I recall was an incident where Habana is tackled, then is on the ground with a player holding him up his head. He is looking at the referee as if to say 'why aren't you penalising them', then realises it is actually one of his own players.

Strangely enough I think it was actually Burger that has him by the head. At least he shares the love around.

In the first half if anyone has the ability to find it.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Our lot always bring up something special. Makes up for the misery
index.php

I

Ilie Tabua's Shadow

Quite obvious how Bryce Elsom has been made to appear far more intelligent and worldly than the others. A true renaissance man.

Well done!!

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
I don't think one action in isolation did Brussow's ribs. The Wallabies knew he had issues in the ribcage and he was targetted. Pocock smashed him when he was trying to hold up an Aussie ballrunner, perfectly legal and straight at the ribs. Then Vicks did a very similar thing. From memory Brussow was on his feet at a maul and Vicks flew in and smashed him. My memory could be wrong, but it seemed legal.

Certainly it was stuff you see plenty of times every game, and I daresay the Saffers would have done a bit of it themselves in the later minutes.

On the Ruggamatrix podcast a few days before the game, it was mentioned that Brussow had dodgy ribs and would require an injection to play.

I

Ilie Tabua's Shadow

Yep I recall Djuro and the fellas mentioning that too.

I just wish they didn't keep postponing shows. (Can't wait to hear Les Kiss on the QF!)

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Piss off mate. Some dickheads at a rugby game have nothing to do with a 'fragile national identity'. The fact of the matter is, you guys are looking at this from a Waratahs-rugby 'clap-the-opposition' paradigm, which quite simply isn't the case in New Zealand. The thug element in Australia (and probably a lot of the home unions) is predominantly attracted to other codes, whereas in New Zealand they're All Blacks fans. It doesn't say anything about the country generally, and to make a generalisation like that is crap logic, and frankly is a touch offensive.

So amusing and wildly factually inaccurate to characterise the NZ-wide, deliberate national cheap shot of relentless media attacks and constant booing of QC (Quade Cooper) this RWC as merely arising from a 'thug element', and 'dickheads', etc.

When the ex-AB Captain Randell a few days back came out and championed the idea that the national work against QC (Quade Cooper) was desirable and should continue, I think we arrived at the truth of the matter. And then this great little snippet today from Wayne Smith (the Aussie journo one) re his unthinking hypocrisy:

From the moment he landed in New Zealand five weeks ago, Cooper has been subjected to a campaign of unrestrained hostility from the local media in retaliation for his on-field niggling of All Blacks captain Richie McCaw. Even the fact that Cooper has laughed it off and insisted he doesn't mind being portrayed as Public Enemy No 1 has been turned against him.

"I don't believe anyone can really enjoy that because it has been relentless," wrote former New Zealand captain Taine Randell in his newspaper column. "New Zealanders should keep tightening the screws, as it appears to be getting to him."

Certainly Randell does qualify as an authority on succumbing to pressure, both on the field and from the media. He was the All Blacks captain when they dramatically choked against France in the 1999 World Cup semi-final. So tightly did New Zealanders tighten the screws on him following that humiliating defeat that he hid out in Florida for a month to escape the media spotlight.

(Btw, I stand by all my assessments made in the first post relating to this matter.)

R

reebokkie

Love

The funniest part of the game I recall was an incident where Habana is tackled, then is on the ground with a player holding him up his head. He is looking at the referee as if to say 'why aren't you penalising them', then realises it is actually one of his own players.

Strangely enough I think it was actually Burger that has him by the head. At least he shares the love around.

In the first half if anyone has the ability to find it.

Hows this for love:

5756590.jpg

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
No matter how many of those you find, the fact of the matter is you should have had a player red-carded then banned for at least 30 weeks for eye-gouging. I think if one were to go through this, or really most, game with a fine-tooth comb they'd find the ledger is pretty even.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)

Haha nice one reebokkie. I think if we were to watch the whole game in super slow motion, picking out images or short image sequences that have been slowed down by 300% we would find hundreds of incidents that weren't picked up for both teams! I have no doubt that if we watched every single ruck in super slow motion from multiple different angles we would find a number of incidents similar to the Schalk vs Pocock incident that appear as if they should have been yellow card/citing but are simply not picked up or do not look quite as bad at normal speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.