• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Bronze Final - Argentina v England 28/10/23, 0800 NZDT

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Argentina: 15 Juan Cruz Mallia, 14 Emiliano Boffelli, 13 Lucio Cinti, 12 Jeronimo de la Fuente, 11 Mateo Carreras, 10 Santiago Carreras, 9 Tomas Cubelli; 8 Facundo Isa, 7 Marcos Kremer, 6 Juan Martin Gonzalez, 5 Pedro Rubiolo, 4 Guido Petti, 3 Francisco Gomez Kodela, 2 Julian Montoya (captain), 1 Thomas Gallo. Substitutes: 16 Agustin Creevy, 17 Joel Sclavi, 18 Eduardo Bello, 19 Matias Alemanno, 20 Rodrigo Bruno, 21 Lautaro Bazan Velez, 22 Nicholas Sanchez, 23 Matias Moroni.

England: 15 Marcus Smith, 14 Freddie Steward, 13 Joe Marchant, 12 Manu Tuilagi, 11 Henry Arundell, 10 Owen Farrell (captain), 9 Ben Youngs, 8 Ben Earl, 7 Sam Underhill, 6 Tom Curry, 5 Ollie Chessum, 4 Maro Itoje, 3 Will Stuart, 2 Theo Dan, 1 Ellis Genge. Substitutes: 16 Jamie George, 17 Bevan Rodd, 18 Dan Cole, 19 Dave Ribbans, 20 Lewis Ludlam, 21 Danny Care, 22 George Ford, 23 Ollie Lawrence

Last edited:

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Listening to the GBR-Au podcast during the week, they were discussing the exact ‘fucks given’ scenario above, and referred to the 2011 Bronze final which they called ‘Wales week’. Essentially both teams would be treating it similar to a Barbarians game.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Listening to the GBR-Au podcast during the week, they were discussing the exact ‘fucks given’ scenario above, and referred to the 2011 Bronze final which they called ‘Wales week’. Essentially both teams would be treating it similar to a Barbarians game.
Cheika's text to Gits - "we want that medal" - suggests he's going to fire the Argies up regardless

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Subs running into the in-goal to hug a try-scorer is one of my (many :rolleyes:) pet peeves & I think actually not allowed? Sanction: no try, goal line dropout would put a stop to it Pronto.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Subs running into the in-goal to hug a try-scorer is one of my (many :rolleyes:) pet peeves & I think actually not allowed? Sanction: no try, goal line dropout would put a stop to it Pronto.
I don't think it's that big a deal that it needs to be stopped. I'd hate to go down the NFL route of trying to police try celebration when the game needs all the character and personality it can get on show. Just make sure the time restrictions are in place to keep the game moving and manage it within that framework.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ only a matter of time before a sub from the team that's scored takes things too far and/ or one from the team that's been scored against takes offence & things get ugly.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
^ only a matter of time before a sub from the team that's scored takes things too far and/ or one from the team that's been scored against takes offence & things get ugly.
Maybe, but "taking things to far" is generally already an offence. I definitely don't think we need to go the extent of reversing tries in attempt to sanitize that part of the game. Maybe there's scope for a penalty restart to the defending team after the conversion but it'd probably need to be a first up warning in most cases. I'm also not certain what the specific offence is, given subs are usually allowed to warm up in the in goal area (as long as play isn't to close).

If we went down the path of reversing the try and than a tier 2 team scored a single solitary try against one of the big boys and had reversed because they were celebrating too hard the optics would be terrible for the game. Unfortunately it's those teams that a change in the way these things are ruled and referred would be most likely to bite.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I wonder if there’s a reason they warm up at the end they’re attacking? If that’s a law, or an understanding?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I wonder if there’s a reason they warm up at the end they’re attacking? If that’s a law, or an understanding?

yeah, its required. To minimise the potential of them impacting a try down the other end.

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
Was I imagining it or did the England hooker punch the Argie tackler in the wrestle on the ground after the try? I rewound it and replayed it. Looked like a punch.