• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC jerseys

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Wasn't their talk that was given the ass?

I don't really mind the white jerseys but It's a lot better when they do something with it. I think the Wallabies do a good job getting the indigenous design onto it instead of the default Asics template.
it's optional atm, but many nations are buying into it;

"World Rugby is set to introduce a policy in 2025 requiring teams with certain colour clashes, such as red and green, to change jerseys, but had already begun talking to nations about making changes voluntarily at the 2023 World Cup."

This is their overview and guidance of the issue: https://www.world.rugby/organisation/accessibility/colour-blind/watching-rugby

It's somewhat controversial as some of the most egregious clashes are traditional nation colours.

The TV issue I find a little odd as I really thought that this should have been a solvable issue in much the some way that we have close captioning on most things. A filter of sorts is surely viable? but live viewership is a problem until we have commercially viable solutions like glasses which would possibly real-time filter etc.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
The TV issue I find a little odd as I really thought that this should have been a solvable issue in much the some way that we have close captioning on most things. A filter of sorts is surely viable? but live viewership is a problem until we have commercially viable solutions like glasses which would possibly real-time filter etc.
Not quite that simple, unfortunately - although improving contrast/saturation settings can help for some users. Having a high contrast ratio between team jerseys (i.e. light vs dark) is also beneficial for low-vision users.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Not quite that simple, unfortunately - although improving contrast/saturation settings can help for some users. Having a high contrast ratio between team jerseys (i.e. light vs dark) is also beneficial for low-vision users.
Oh, I'm not talking some passive style filter, but rather a real-time active filter - ie. change all players red jerseys to a white. Current state of AI / computational pattern recognition etc. make this a very solvable problem to my mind. So much so I'm actually rather surprised it doesn't already exist in much the same way that we have on the fly generated closed captions these days with real-time voice recognition to text translation.

Anyway, thread about RWC Jerseys, this is all a bit of a tangent.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
it's optional atm, but many nations are buying into it;

"World Rugby is set to introduce a policy in 2025 requiring teams with certain colour clashes, such as red and green, to change jerseys, but had already begun talking to nations about making changes voluntarily at the 2023 World Cup."

This is their overview and guidance of the issue: https://www.world.rugby/organisation/accessibility/colour-blind/watching-rugby

It's somewhat controversial as some of the most egregious clashes are traditional nation colours.

I'm colour blind and so was my pop - I remember watching Wales v Ireland with him once years ago and he kept cheering for the wrong side :D :D :D

I've never had an issue telling team's apart (except when they get muddy as) but sports like motoGP I get the bikes mixed up

Marce

John Thornett (49)
My personal option would be a striped jersey as an alternate, unless, like Japan it’s already striped. I don’t have a reason, would just like to see a little variety.
I'd like to see a dark blue jersey with the Union Jack and six white stars. Something like this:

With dark blue shorts and socks with Union Jack design:

I remember the 2016 Kangaroos training shirt with something similar:

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
There's something deeply wrong about an Australian team wearing a union jack
I'd like to see a dark blue jersey with the Union Jack and six white stars. Something like this:

There's something deeply wrong about an Australian team wearing a union jack,

Marce

John Thornett (49)
There's something deeply wrong about an Australian team wearing a union jack

There's something deeply wrong about an Australian team wearing a union jack,
I know all the stuff about it but it's the current Australian flag. It's like, Scottish hate England but they are Great Britain together or Catalans who hate Spain but they are still part of Spain. First step, change the official flag

molman

Peter Johnson (47)

Not having a personal dig @Marce , but honestly it looked like something I'd find in one of those made in china tourist souvenir shops.

The indigenous patterns are so, so much better.

That 2016 Kangaroos training shirt is also hideous with the belly button level chevron in an alternate green and gold. I can't imagine Canterbury did well with that design.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
C1527662-7FD3-4CAF-8CCC-9EB13238319A.gif

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
These are already some of the better looking Australian jerseys out of the various codes and even some of the past Wallabies jersey designs;

iu

2019 RWC Away Indigenous Jersey

wallabies-indigenous-jersey-2020-1-650x550.jpg

2020 Away Indigenous Jersey

2022-australia-wallabies-indigenous-mens-front.jpg

2022 Indigenous Jersey

WallabiesRWCAlternateJerseyMens_0000s_0006_2111B696_100_GM_FT_1800x1800.jpg

2023 RWC Away Jersey

Personally I actually like the 2019 Away one with the Dark Green and Wattle Yellow as oppose to how it looks with the orange Wallabies Gold, but there are so many things a competent graphic designer could come up with.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
My personal option would be a striped jersey as an alternate, unless, like Japan it’s already striped. I don’t have a reason, would just like to see a little variety.
Maybe you want a reboot of the design they had back in the 30's;
256334116_4914787855221736_5610210947000856620_n.jpg

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Not having a personal dig @Marce , but honestly it looked like something I'd find in one of those made in china tourist souvenir shops.

The indigenous patterns are so, so much better.

That 2016 Kangaroos training shirt is also hideous with the belly button level chevron in an alternate green and gold. I can't imagine Canterbury did well with that design.
I agree about the belly button level chevron in an alternate green and gold. I said a completely dark blue shirt, just an example of something similar.

The Indigenous pattern is a nice marketing step but is just that. A marketing move like companies selling merchandise with the rainbow flags cause it looks great in terms of sales but if you don't have Indigenous players and the Indigenous community playing the game is just that, a nice marketing campaign.

If you wear a jersey with the Union Jack, Social Democrats will say that you support Captain Cook lol