• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: NZL v ARG (Wembley Stadium) Pool C

Status
Not open for further replies.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm calling bullshit on this. The only mention I can find is on this site. No kick to the head. Only contact was top of the boot/shin. If it was as deliberate as is being made out, he would have been cited by now. I slow moed the replay, 39.19 shows it pretty clearly. Its up on youtube if you want to look yourself.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Good to see Richie saying he was dumb with trip, apologised and said he thought he deserved to be booed for it etc. Certainly can shut everyone up about the booing,if the Booee??:confused: says he deserves it, don't think we need to argue about it.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Alright, let's put this to bed. I think anyone trying to claim Carter deliberately kicked Petti Pagadizaval in the head -- or even kicked him at all -- is drawing a loooooong bow (at best it's a glancing stumble).

Carter's moving in to try to tackle when Petti Pagadizaval dives over at an angle that cuts in front of the trajectory Carter's already running (unavoidable). Carter's leaning over and trying to grab at the lock, not trying to kick him.

The replay gives three different angles of the try, one from above (vid here) and one from the touchline (vid here). But it's the third angle, the one from behind the try line, to pay attention to (vid here):

UnpleasantForcefulCutworm.gif

Carter's hand is in front of his leg, and it's his hand that makes contact with the lock's neck. If you break that down, it's not even clear if its leg makes contact with his own arm, or if he falls over the Argentinian before he has a chance to put a boot to his noggin.

carter_hand.jpg

If you think this is still a kick to the dome, feel free to put a friend on the ground, run at them while bent over, stick your forearm down in front of your shin, and then kick your forearm into your friend's head. Then tell us how that goes.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I thought the Kiwis did quite well, they managed the emotion, absorbed a lot of pressure and won going away

It reminded me of a lot of Bled games lately where Aus were in the game until 50-60 and then lost as we couldn't keep with the ABs, they get those mis-matches, get those overlaps as the opposition tires.

The scrum was interesting, the Argies were so low, with backs so straight and extended on engage.

Woodcock's back looked a turtle in comparison.

I do wonder whether some of the more wiley NH scrums may back off a little on engage and watch them overextend and eat grass

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
I thought we went alright.
At least we won.
Worried about Savea continued lack of form and there being no back-up 11.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I thought the Kiwis did quite well, they managed the emotion, absorbed a lot of pressure and won going away

It reminded me of a lot of Bled games lately where Aus were in the game until 50-60 and then lost as we couldn't keep with the ABs, they get those mis-matches, get those overlaps as the opposition tires.

The scrum was interesting, the Argies were so low, with backs so straight and extended on engage.

I do wonder whether some of the more wiley NH scrums may back off a little on engage and watch them overextend and eat grass

Thought I heard Barnes at one stage telling the Argies front row to pack higher than they had been. Or did I mistake his statement?

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Those baying for blood have got what they wanted; a citing has emerged from the match.

.....Argentinian lock Mariano Galarza has been cited following yesterday's World Cup game against the All Blacks in London.
Galarza was a replacement in their 26-16 loss to New Zealand at Wembley.

A statement from organisers said the 28 year old was cited for an alleged "act of foul play" and is to appear before an independent judicial officer in the near future.

No further details of the incident were given.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/sport/284883/argentinian-lock-cited

EDIT: Don't know what's going on with that quote.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Thought I heard Barnes at one stage telling the Argies front row to pack higher than they had been. Or did I mistake his statement?

Yep, a few early were collapsing and Barnes wanted them higher, a few early were too close together (so there was not engage)

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)

Different game/situation, but did notice how flat the Japanese backs were as well, especially in their mauls.

(Nothing wrong with James Osterberg, but is Iggy Pop the right avatar for a fatprop? Iggy Prop?)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Different game/situation, but did notice how flat the Japanese backs were as well, especially in their mauls.

(Nothing wrong with James Osterberg, but is Iggy Pop the right avatar for a fatprop? Iggy Prop?)

Yes mate, at first I wasn't sure if it was Iggy or Madonna :oops:

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I thought Nig was very good in the Kingsholm arm wrestle between Tonga and Georgia. Garces is a very fine ref, however. Barnes was actually better than usual because, for once, he actually made the tacklers roll. He was still crap, obviously, but nothing like as bad as usual.

Yes I thought it was excellent refereering by Nigel in Tonga vs Samoa game and showed a calm level head in the heat of the moment

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
McCaw is suitably embaressed by his yellow card, as he should be. Sir Graham Henry, in full headmaster mode, gave him and Smith a little ticking off in the media today.
Although I am normally a SBW hater, I thought he made a terrific impact when he came on, as did all the reserves. Barrett was on fire.

ps
I am well aware how McCaw is viewed by many overseas fans. I was just taking the piss.

Yes McCaw himself stated he was pretty disappointed with the stupidity of that yellow card as was clear brain implosion and reckless and lucky he did not get a red card for that. Did not see the Carter incident -

I like actually what they are doing with requests for ref's to be tough on high tackles and those who don't roll away getting out of tackled area

I think doing a lot to clean up the quality of games in my view whilst former appropriately protecting the players...

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Alright, let's put this to bed. I think anyone trying to claim Carter deliberately kicked Petti Pagadizaval in the head -- or even kicked him at all -- is drawing a loooooong bow (at best it's a glancing stumble).

Carter's moving in to try to tackle when Petti Pagadizaval dives over at an angle that cuts in front of the trajectory Carter's already running (unavoidable). Carter's leaning over and trying to grab at the lock, not trying to kick him.

The replay gives three different angles of the try, one from above (vid here) and one from the touchline (vid here). But it's the third angle, the one from behind the try line, to pay attention to (vid here):

carter_kick_3_3.gif

Carter's hand is in front of his leg, and it's his hand that makes contact with the lock's neck. If you break that down, it's not even clear if its leg makes contact with his own arm, or if he falls over the Argentinian before he has a chance to put a boot to his noggin.

carter_hand.jpg

If you think this is still a kick to the dome, feel free to put a friend on the ground, run at them while bent over, stick your forearm down in front of your shin, and then kick your forearm into your friend's head. Then tell us how that goes.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I thought we went alright.
At least we won.
Worried about Savea continued lack of form and there being no back-up 11.

Savea is going okay, he is making in-roads in tight and getting over the advantage line. Kind of like an extra forward.

Not sure what is going on with his running game in broken play or when he has space - he just doesn't seem effective any more.

Although he might not win you a game with one of his miracle runs he certainly isn't playing bad enough to lose you a game either.

Is Naholo in the frame to start yet?

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I'm calling bullshit on this. The only mention I can find is on this site. No kick to the head. Only contact was top of the boot/shin. If it was as deliberate as is being made out, he would have been cited by now. I slow moed the replay, 39.19 shows it pretty clearly. Its up on youtube if you want to look yourself.
You don't understand the citing procedures, it doesn't have to be deliberate. If it happen in the Pro 12 it would have been cited. The NH is a long way ahead of the SH on head injuries, player welfare and concussion protocols because of the injuries to North and Brown. The complete lack of comment on this forum serves to highlight the discrepancy. I have been shocked to see players taking head knocks in SH rugby and playing on without going into the concussion bin.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)

carter_kick_3_3.gif

carter_hand.jpg

I will keep saying this, IT DOESNT HAVE TO BE DELIBERATE!!!! I have no axe to grind as far as Carter is concerned and don't think his citing would have ended up in a ban given the circumstances, but he was reckless to allow his boot to be anywhere near Petti's face.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
You don't understand the citing procedures, it doesn't have to be deliberate. If it happen in the Pro 12 it would have been cited. The NH is a long way ahead of the SH on head injuries, player welfare and concussion protocols because of the injuries to North and Brown. The complete lack of comment on this forum serves to highlight the discrepancy. I have been shocked to see players taking head knocks in SH rugby and playing on without going into the concussion bin.
I thought he should have been cited but Murry Whyte was the citing commissioner and he's from Ireland, so not all of your countrymen agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.