• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Oct 15 2023 1/8 Final Ire vs NZ.

Ire vs NZ

• Go Ireland

Votes: 23 60.5%
  • Go NZ

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Go the TMO

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Go f**** yourself

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Go home, RWC finished last week

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • this pole started nicely enough then took on a bit of a negative turn

Votes: 10 26.3%

• Total voters

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
While I am guttered that Ireland lost, this side has really improved the standing of Irish rugby

To think they won 17 games in a row, that includes wins over NZ, SA, France is a massive achievement. Plus a grand slam. Ireland has only lost 1 game in 2023, 2 games in 2022. That's a record all teams would want.

First professional team to win a series in NZ, and there has been plenty of good teams to try and fail.

Also developed depth, I know a lot has been made that Ireland didn't rest players during the world cup. But they didn't lay full strength before the cup unlike everyone else. The first game was the same as a final warm up game.

In 2020 I really thought Ireland buggered up appointing Farrell, he has proved me wrong and I really enjoy his press conferences and his honesty. The whole time he is still looking for ways to improve.

On to domestic, Cmon Munster
You're spot on. That's why for most Rugby fans, the QF was gutting. And undoubtedly for Irish Rugby, used to post-RWC 'wha went wrong' reviews but in this instance your QF was almost worhty of a final

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
AB up to second in the Rankings behind SA:

With RWC matches worth double points I think it's possible we could regain top spot esp if Ringinland can knock off bokke this week (not that I want them to "to be the best you've gotta beat the best" & all that).

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
AB up to second in the Rankings behind SA:

With RWC matches worth double points I think it's possible we could regain top spot esp if Ringinland can knock off bokke this week (not that I want them to "to be the best you've gotta beat the best" & all that).
To be the best you've gotta beat the best? Beside 1995 that really does not apply to the Boks, so if you get the win and it's against England it's still the win. 2007 the Boks faced Fiji, Argentina and England in knock out stages. 2019 Japan, Wales and England.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ having knocked off No. 1 in the QF what better than beating the new No. 1 in the Final & potentially becoming No. 1 yourselves?

Interestedoz1

Bob McCowan (2)
Fascinating watching some of the excellent post match analysis from on this match.

In my view the "review" for Ireland will be just as important as the Wallaby one. 8 quarter finals in a row, come in as the number 1 team having beaten NZ in a series in NZ, etc etc . What went wrong? A lot of discussion on the lack of rotation of the Irish players - too much game time.

People suggesting that more 3 pointers should have been taken during the match. We know the AB's came into the match in extraordinary form after the Italy game. Who knows...feel bad for Ireland. Will be very interesting to see how South Africa play them if both make the final.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
The loss feels different to some of the other QF losses. They unfortunately ran into an opposition that deserved more than QF status for that game.

Ireland with that performance would have won against Wales, England, Fiji and Argentina.

They played right through the 80 and came back in the match twice which tells me that 23 had the gas in the tank. I know a lot of people questioned could a team based around a few older guys push through the entire would cup.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
The discussion about the rotation is really annoying me, Ireland didn't rotate yes. But they also didn't play a full strength test 2 week prior to the World Cup like SA, NZ, France did. They used Romania game as the final warm up, and built momentum. They had the two week break at the right time in between the two big pool games.

Maybe Hansen shouldn't have started the QF, no body else really looked like they struggled. That game had more ball in play time then any other game this world cup. Was over 40 minutes, of course players are going to be tired late in the game.

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
The discussion about the rotation is really annoying me, Ireland didn't rotate yes. But they also didn't play a full strength test 2 week prior to the World Cup like SA, NZ, France did. They used Romania game as the final warm up, and built momentum. They had the two week break at the right time in between the two big pool games.

Maybe Hansen shouldn't have started the QF, no body else really looked like they struggled. That game had more ball in play time then any other game this world cup. Was over 40 minutes, of course players are going to be tired late in the game.
Agree.

I don't buy the 'tired' argument.

Always gets trotted out after a loss.

And they're battle hardened if they win.