• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Oct 15 2023 1/8 Final Ire vs NZ.

Ire vs NZ

• Go Ireland

Votes: 23 60.5%
  • Go NZ

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Go the TMO

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Go f**** yourself

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Go home, RWC finished last week

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • this pole started nicely enough then took on a bit of a negative turn

Votes: 10 26.3%

• Total voters

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
This is BS, Barnes was no where near in favor of Ireland. Smith yellow was soft, but that was the TMO making up for the RM tackle he said was fine.

As for the yellow and penalty try, I can't believe any rugby fans is really calling that a bad decision.

Barnes was awful at the scrum, Ireland penalized twice when going forward and dominating.

He also calls nothing at the break down, Ireland would have been happier with a more whistle happy ref.
Don't know if he was awful at the scrum. Porter seems to come off second best against the good sides. SA gave him a going over as well. He gives himself away when is ass is facing the AR.

Saying the 50/50s went Irelands way makes it seem like I'm saying Barnes favoured them. I don't think he favoured either. I mean they were getting the throw that could be called not straight play on. A Hansen potential forward played on.

In the end Ireland had more than enough opportunity to win it. 53 more carries than NZ, 1 extra line break, 55% possession, 52% territory and NZ made 71 more tackles.

What did it was the 11 turnovers lost by Ireland and the Scrum. NZ got out to a lead that even with the fightbacks was too much. I question the changes in mind that seemed to happen a few times around not taking the PG or going for touch. The one early in the game surprised me given its a WC QF and it was very kickable.

Barnes calling "nothing" at the break down almost won Ireland at the game at the end. It took a call even Stevie Wonder would have made to get his arm up.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Summarises my thoughts on the first scrum nicely - I think the ref called it wrong in favour of the ABs. Yes Porter's elbow is down, but Lomax and Porter go in together. Reset for me.

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
I've now had a day to get over my heartbreak.

All this talk of Ireland choking is just wind up. I get it.

In reality what happened 4 years ago (or even before that is kind of irrelevant). We don't just watch rugby for World Cups.

Ireland have been brilliant for 18 months up to and including at this World Cup. We've knocked off South Africa and Scotland in a ferocious group.
We then came up against a wounded All Blacks team with massive motivation and came within a held up try of winning. Small margins.

This is not the time for revolution or an overhaul. We're on the right track.
Our systems are good. There a lots of young players coming through.

It's back to the drawing board and for us there's no World Cup to obsess about for another 4 years. We need to win the Six Nations, consistently beat New Zealand and South Africa in between and get over this heartbreak.

We'll lose a few to retirement but we still have Sheehan, Porter, Ryan, Beirne, Doris, Van Der Flier, Ringrose, Hasen and Keenan who have plenty of good rugby int hem and haven't become bad players overnight.

It still stings and this was a chance missed but great teams (like the All Blacks/Munster) have been here before and this will only make the beer taste sweeter when we finally break the drought and win a World Cup.

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
That game deserved to be a semi final or final but is what it is
All blacks coming to form at the right time? Their forward pack held Ireland and savea and cane were immense at the breakdown
Savea the best loose forward in the game
Nz showing maybe experience does help in a RWC?
Everyone knows experience helps at the World Cup. It was only that fkwit Eddie Jones who thought otherwise . He could've easily re built after.

If Eddie wasn't around we would most likely had a QF against Argentina or England , who are both performing badly at the moment.

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
No, but if we made the semi's - what do you realistically think would happen? Everyone from Hamish down would say "nothing to see here, we made the semi's it's all good"
Nope, we would say " well done, next time we will make the final"

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Nope, we would say " well done, next time we will make the final"
Yeah, and the same underlying problems would still be there - shoved under the carpet. As much as I hate we've gone out in the pool stages, I'm hoping - just hoping, that this has actually galvanised the head honchos to do something to go towards fixing it

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Right, so you would rather get knocked out earlier than making the Semi's. Wow.

I honestly think it's for the betterment of the game long term here. There's no running away from the truth of the situation now.

I've worked in and consulted for businesses who've had to do the same and the ones who've accepted the reality of the problems have addressed them and grown from it.

I'm hoping we can do the same.

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Yeah, and the same underlying problems would still be there - shoved under the carpet. As much as I hate we've gone out in the pool stages, I'm hoping - just hoping, that this has actually galvanised the head honchos to do something to go towards fixing it
Do you really think all those problems will be fixed now? I think the benefits of naking the semi's will far outweigh those from what we have now.

If those players made it to the semi, that would give them more confidence going into the next world cup than being knocked out early.

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
I honestly think it's for the betterment of the game long term here. There's no running away from the truth of the situation now.

I've worked in and consulted for businesses who've had to do the same and the ones who've accepted the reality of the problems have addressed them and grown from it.

I'm hoping we can do the same.
Why do we need to hit rock bottom to address the problems?

I would have thought they would be easier to address and fix when we're in a semi- strong position that just needs a bit of touching up.

Building up right from the bottom in the space of four years is going to be very challenging.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

I would have thought they would be easier to address and fix when we're in a semi- strong position that just needs a bit of touching up.

Building up right from the bottom in the space of four years is going to be very challenging.

Because I don't trust people invested in the status quo to not point to an OK result at this RWC as proof everything is fine. Sometimes you need to be mugged by reality to properly address the issue(s).

I'm also not talking about a bottom up rebuild. There is a lot we can do without burning the whole place down and starting again.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

We can't have wholesale change by 2027. I shouldn't say can't have change because we may see change but not the effect.

Feels like a 2 cycle job (2031) before you would really see any effect in the teams below the Wallabies. By 2027 you can improve the Wallabies quite a bit as we do have a lot of players that will fall into the age range 25-32. High performance centralisation is one of the first steps of this.

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Because I don't trust people invested in the status quo to not point to an OK result at this RWC as proof everything is fine. Sometimes you need to be mugged by reality to properly address the issue(s).

I'm also not talking about a bottom up rebuild. There is a lot we can do without burning the whole place down and starting again.
We're pretty much at the bottom now. We're the laughing stock of Australia sports and World Rugby. Missing out on the finals will make our situation a lot worse. We will be harder hit financially and we will have a harder time attracting younger people to the game or to stick with it.

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
We can't have wholesale change by 2027. I shouldn't say can't have change because we may see change but not the effect.

Feels like a 2 cycle job (2031) before you would really see any effect in the teams below the Wallabies. By 2027 you can improve the Wallabies quite a bit as we do have a lot of players that will fall into the age range 25-32. High performance centralisation is one of the first steps of this.
We could have just done that after the world cup instead of 6 months before.