• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: Pool C - Wallabies v Fiji - Monday 18 Sep 2am AEST

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Onto round two and we're now into absolutely abysmal timeslots.

Hopefully we see the return of Slipper and Fa'amausili to shore up our bench front row. Faessler might be lucky to retain his place after some wobbles in the lineout but could be saved by acknowledgement that the structure of our forward pack was lacking when the bench came on.

Will we see Frost return instead of Leota or Gleeson?

I expect the backs will be largely the same except for White starting and Fines-Leleiwasa on the bench with McDermott out with concussion.

Donaldson's strong game could make it really hard for Kellaway to get back into the side. I'd still prefer him in the 23 jersey over Vunivalu for better versatility. You'd certainly think Donaldson continues to wear the 15 jersey though.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I'd be bringing Frost onto the bench for Gleeson and starting Fines-Leleiwasa - White is not playing poorly but he is looking like a square peg in a round hole for this team, so I think Isaac is better fit with McDermott out. I'd also have Kellaway on the bench for coverage, not entirely sure if Foketi holds his spot though, he has struggled in gold so far this year.

Also, your world cup is it?
1694386010891.png

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Wonder if Fiji will be hungry or drained after getting so close against the Welsh.
A bit of both I think? I expect they'll come out firing but if we have them in hand 60 minutes in they may start to fall away.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Be interesting to see the game plan this week. Against Georgia it was clearly one designed to target territory, not possession - referenced by Skelton in his excellent rev up that was picked up in the huddle after Tate went down, as well as a few other Wobs post-match. I'm not sure that will work so well against a team like Fiji who we know thrive off the kick return and in broken play.

I think Kellaway will miss out - Donaldson showed his worth and Vunivalu looked good in his involvements (his rugby brain seems to have switched on). We can assume the Fijians will go aerial at times on attack, and I think Vunivalu, Marika, and Nawaqanitawase give us the best chance to counter that effectively.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It'll be another test for Donaldson as the Georgians failed to challenge him in the air but I doubt the Fijians will miss that opportunity. Hopefully he steps up again if selected.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Be interesting to see the game plan this week. Against Georgia it was clearly one designed to target territory, not possession - referenced by Skelton in his excellent rev up that was picked up in the huddle after Tate went down, as well as a few other Wobs post-match. I'm not sure that will work so well against a team like Fiji who we know thrive off the kick return and in broken play.

I think Kellaway will miss out - Donaldson showed his worth and Vunivalu looked good in his involvements (his rugby brain seems to have switched on). We can assume the Fijians will go aerial at times on attack, and I think Vunivalu, Marika, and Nawaqanitawase give us the best chance to counter that effectively.

I missed that - what was the gist?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Lessons from the first week matches clearly included just keep score board pressure ramping up - ie take the kicking opportunities

Donaldson it appears will continue to be selected

The other lesson is, kick the ball into the second tier of the stands when playing Fiji and work on your chase line for those oh f*ck moments when we give them space to counter

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Apparently Fiji were robbed blind against Wales. Maybe they'll be more motivated than deflated.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Apparently Fiji were robbed blind against Wales. Maybe they'll be more motivated than deflated.
It certainly would have taken a lot out of them mentally and physically. I suspect it was their target match seen as the best opportunity to advance from the pool stage. No doubt they will come out firing, the issue is how much petrol they have left in the tank, and when they fatigue their discipline generally goes to shit.

Stagnation

Allen Oxlade (6)
looking ahead - assuming we make it out of our pool we will most likely either play england or argentina in the quarters correct?

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
As an aside it was great to see him so vocal and commanding there. My biggest reservation when he was named captain is that he has a reputation as a quieter player, so to see him taking charge like that is fantastic.
Yep - been pretty impressed with his media duties too. A reluctant leader, but he's really stepping up.

scrans21

Chris McKivat (8)
Assuming everyone is fit this is the team I'd be rolling out for Fiji (replacement in brackets if the player isn't fit):
1. Bell
2. Porecki
3. Tupou
4. Arnold
5. Skelton (c)
6. Hooper
7. McReight
8. Valetini
9. Fines-Leleiwasa
10. Gordon
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. Petaia
14. Nawaqanitawase
15. Donaldson
16. Faesslar
17. Slipper (Schoupp)
18. Fa'amausili (Nonggorr)
19. Frost
20. Leota/Gleeson
21. White
22. Foketi
23. Kellaway

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Assuming everyone is fit this is the team I'd be rolling out for Fiji (replacement in brackets if the player isn't fit):
1. Bell
2. Porecki
3. Tupou
4. Arnold
5. Skelton (c)
6. Hooper
7. McReight
8. Valetini
9. Fines-Leleiwasa
10. Gordon
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. Petaia
14. Nawaqanitawase
15. Donaldson
16. Faesslar
17. Slipper (Schoupp)
18. Fa'amausili (Nonggorr)
19. Frost
20. Leota/Gleeson
21. White
22. Foketi
23. Kellaway

I'll take it. Though I hear fans suggesting McReight might be stood down for a bigger body. I wouldn't but I'm listening.

Edi: I think you've got the 9s right. Also think you have Faesslar right though his throws have me seriously wondering.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
A bit of both I think? I expect they'll come out firing but if we have them in hand 60 minutes in they may start to fall away.
Dont think so They were full of running at 80mins. They are fitter than we are and I am betting it will show in our game, we need to be at our best.