• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: Pool C - Wallabies v Georgia, SdF Sunday 10th September 2am

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Is it too early to start this? If there is a structured format for the RWC then fell free to delete mods.

With our games spaced a week apart and then 2 weeks between the final pool game v Portugal and the QFs, I won't be surprised if we start our strongest available lineup in every match, maybe resting a few with niggles in the Portugal game.

From the France game expecting Kerevi, Frost, White and maybe Uelese and Slipper to come in.

Edit: forgot about Koroibete - what do we do here??

Last edited:

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Surely we start the strongest team each game. The team needs time together. The combinations need time playing together. I think we are in a favorable position that we still have a decent chance of winning the pool without the combinations fully firing given the pool isn't the toughest.

By the time we get to the finals, if we make it, the team should be fully firing. But that's a big IF. Fiji and Wales are no easy beats. Especially for this team of inexperienced wallabies. Georgia is a risk too. We need to start a strong team against them.

This is probably the first time I can remember that I am actually fearing the possibility we might not make it through the pool stages. Which is crazy given the opposition in the pool.

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
Surely we start the strongest team each game. The team needs time together. The combinations need time playing together. I think we are in a favorable position that we still have a decent chance of winning the pool without the combinations fully firing given the pool isn't the toughest.

By the time we get to the finals, if we make it, the team should be fully firing. But that's a big IF. Fiji and Wales are no easy beats. Especially for this team of inexperienced wallabies. Georgia is a risk too. We need to start a strong team against them.

This is probably the first time I can remember that I am actually fearing the possibility we might not make it through the pool stages. Which is crazy given the opposition in the pool.
Thats it, potentially wont make it out of the pools but could also easily make semis.... who knows.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
We should ease over Georgia - though a wet track might spice things up. Agree on putting forward our best team, but no need to push injuries for this game.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Is it too early to start this? If there is a structured format for the RWC then fell free to delete mods.

With our games spaced a week apart and then 2 weeks between the final pool game v Portugal and the QFs, I won't be surprised if we start our strongest available lineup in every match, maybe resting a few with niggles in the Portugal game.

From the France game expecting Kerevi, Frost, White and maybe Uelese and Slipper to come in.

Edit: forgot about Koroibete - what do we do here??
Yah tonk Koroibete in for Vunivalu, straight swap.

shaquille_oatmeal

Frank Row (1)
Curious to see how this goes, I feel like Georgia have the potential to cause an upset or two in the RWC group stage (hard to say for sure), but you never really know how they'll show up on the day. I have faith in Eddie and the boys to start demonstrating how the team can gel against a more straightforward opponent, hopefully that can translate later on to good development of the team into the future.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Its Georgia. They're good, but not top tier. We need to present our strongest pack but make sure that we go to the bench early so that we don't fatigue people out by the time we get to the Wales game. We could pick some of our best backs as finishers if they need to be eased back in after injury (say Kerevi for example). The two key games are Fiji and Wales, and we should know from the Wales/Fiji game on the Monday where our biggest threat is going to come from. That result, and the game insights it will provide, should then guide our selection strategy for the next three games.

So, for Georgia a team list as follows would make sense: 1. Bell, 2. Porecki, 3.Tupou, 4. Frost (80), 5. Skelton, 6. Leota (80), 7. McReight, 8. Valetini, 9. White, 10. Gordon, 11. Korobeite, 12. Foketi, 13. Petaia, 14. Vunivalu (Nawaqanitawase rested), 15. Kellaway, 16. Uelese (scrummaging important for this game and Portugal), 17. Slipper, 18. Fa'amausili, 19. Arnold, 20. Gleeson (Hooper rested in preparation for the next two games), 21. McDermott, 22. Kerevi, 23. Donaldson

The best 15 for Fiji and Wales will be Bell, Porecki, Tupou, Arnold/Frost, Skelton, Hooper, McReight, Valetini, McDermott?, Gordon, Korobeite, Kerevi, Petaia, Nawaqanitawase, Kellaway. All subject to injury. If anyone except Gordon is injured badly and has to go home Ikitau comes straight in to the best 15. If Gordon goes down it has to be Foley.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Georgia did really well against Scotland for the first half. Were they leading? Then got blown away in the 2nd half. Gotta keep the ball moving and not let them play silly buggers with injuries and for mother of god give away no cards.

Footy head

Herbert Moran (7)
Its Georgia. They're good, but not top tier. We need to present our strongest pack but make sure that we go to the bench early so that we don't fatigue people out by the time we get to the Wales game. We could pick some of our best backs as finishers if they need to be eased back in after injury (say Kerevi for example). The two key games are Fiji and Wales, and we should know from the Wales/Fiji game on the Monday where our biggest threat is going to come from. That result, and the game insights it will provide, should then guide our selection strategy for the next three games.

So, for Georgia a team list as follows would make sense: 1. Bell, 2. Porecki, 3.Tupou, 4. Frost (80), 5. Skelton, 6. Leota (80), 7. McReight, 8. Valetini, 9. White, 10. Gordon, 11. Korobeite, 12. Foketi, 13. Petaia, 14. Vunivalu (Nawaqanitawase rested), 15. Kellaway, 16. Uelese (scrummaging important for this game and Portugal), 17. Slipper, 18. Fa'amausili, 19. Arnold, 20. Gleeson (Hooper rested in preparation for the next two games), 21. McDermott, 22. Kerevi, 23. Donaldson

The best 15 for Fiji and Wales will be Bell, Porecki, Tupou, Arnold/Frost, Skelton, Hooper, McReight, Valetini, McDermott?, Gordon, Korobeite, Kerevi, Petaia, Nawaqanitawase, Kellaway. All subject to injury. If anyone except Gordon is injured badly and has to go home Ikitau comes straight in to the best 15. If Gordon goes down it has to be Foley.
I think that cooper is a greater chance of going up than foley. I think that foley blew his position last year.
-Footyhead

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
I think that cooper is a greater chance of going up than foley. I think that foley blew his position last year.
-Footyhead
Have you not read the articles of Cooper not responding to Eddie's calls? At least Foley has turned up to Australia A even though i would prefer Cooper.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Definitely best side for Georgia. I think Eddie will keep doing what he has been doing and tinker around the edges a bit with some players. E.g. swap Frost for Arnold, swap the bench players around but keep the nucleus of the side for the first 3 games and hopefully we are already qualified by the Portugal game. I think White should start the Georgia game.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Slipper and Fa'amausili likely out. Kerevi probably out. Leota doubtful too. Jorgensen fit and healthy, hopefully he can scrum.

Hooper apparently has a niggle but should be right to play... maybe doesn't play 80 against Georgia.