• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Pool D: Wallabies v Fiji, Sat 21st September, 2.45pm AEST, Sapporo Dome

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
How dare Yato headbutt Hodge’s shoulder. What an outrage!!

Re: Rodda. How many lineouts did he win?

Topping the tackle count isn’t saying much when they have 80% possession.
I didn’t see him carrying early on when the Fijians were on fire at the start.

Must watch the dark places of the game more closely. Lineouts were most likely a ploy, a team can do that when there are options. Rodda is safe as houses in the set piece and busy as hell around the park. Just how a team wants their lock to play.

EagleTown

Stan Wickham (3)
Must watch the dark places of the game more closely. Lineouts were most likely a ploy, a team can do that when there are options. Rodda is safe as houses in the set piece and busy as hell around the park. Just how a team wants their lock to play.

Safe as houses? AWJ and co might be keen to see how functional that lineout is when they come round.

He was pretty absent when it got a bit hot out there and padded his stats in garbage time when they were well ahead.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Moaning Herald reporting both Fiji and Aus coaches have concerns over refereeing. Apparently Fiji going to report Hodge for his tackle on Yato

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Cheiks was pretty vocal about the ref's focus on Pocock in the after match interview. Apparently they were talking about him plenty over the mikes even before he had anything to do on the field

If he's going to get penalised all tournament for the three/four turnovers he got pinged for today, there's not much point in playing him at all

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Re. Hodge, it was clearly not malicious. He was smashed after the bigger man tried to run through him. Unlucky point of contact but thems the breaks.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Safe as houses? AWJ and co might be keen to see how functional that lineout is when they come round.

He was pretty absent when it got a bit hot out there and padded his stats in garbage time when they were well ahead.

Again I urge you to take a closer look, but it seems you've got a perceived bias against this particular player when you make statements like it doesn't matter if he's the highest tackler because we didn't have much defence to do. How about he did what he had to do. Stats padded out when it doesn't matter. A game goes for 80 minutes. Every one of them counts.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm watching everything on replay so here's a few random thoughts after the first watch..........

Negatives -

There's a real issue with Kerevi - tackle busting ability aside, he gave away a couple of tries or spoiled a few opportunities through either ball hogging, or throwing the ball to his opposition number.

JOC (James O'Connor) was a passenger........ the centre partnership is an issue.

But generally our backline attack is still stuck in the past.........

White brought out all of his worst habits..........

Latu was great around the ground, but his line out throwing was terrible.

We were pathetic at the breakdown, and seemed to be absent on so many occasions in attack despite playing two open sides.

Positives -

Individually Hooper led by example. MOTM for mine......... Pocock also played well... the breakdown issue seems to be a game management issue.

Arnold and Rodda both played well....... in fact, tight five in general did - scrum was great.

Wingers played well......... despite Hodge getting hammered early on.

DHP, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Genia all good off the bench.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
The setbacks Hodge had in that opening blitz by Fiji should have had him mentally smashed for the rest of the game. Run over twice, one of which led to a try, and beaten easily in the air as well.
Yet he stiffened his resolve and played very well from then on.
We've seen other players go to pieces on the strength of lesser errors. Good on him.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I'm watching everything on replay so here's a few random thoughts after the first watch....

Negatives -

There's a real issue with Kerevi - tackle busting ability aside, he gave away a couple of tries or spoiled a few opportunities through either ball hogging, or throwing the ball to his opposition number.

JOC (James O'Connor) was a passenger.... the centre partnership is an issue.

But generally our backline attack is still stuck in the past...

White brought out all of his worst habits....

Latu was great around the ground, but his line out throwing was terrible.

We were pathetic at the breakdown, and seemed to be absent on so many occasions in attack despite playing two open sides.

Positives -

Individually Hooper led by example. MOTM for mine... Pocock also played well. the breakdown issue seems to be a game management issue.

Arnold and Rodda both played well... in fact, tight five in general did - scrum was great.

Wingers played well... despite Hodge getting hammered early on.

The replacement front row were good.

Reactions: dru

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
Positives -

Individually Hooper led by example. MOTM for mine... Pocock also played well. the breakdown issue seems to be a game management issue.

Arnold and Rodda both played well... in fact, tight five in general did - scrum was great.

Wingers played well... despite Hodge getting hammered early on.

Suprised you didn't mention Koroibete as a positive, thought he had a great game. Worked hard, even saw him working a scrum half a few times and a great try at the end. Looking forward to seeing more of him over the next weeks.

JRoss

Stan Wickham (3)
The above still of Hodge using the right arm in the tackle is plain wrong. The frame used shows the maximum that arm got in terms of a wrap-around and the arm only got that far due to the impact. I reckon Hodge knew he had to slam him or be bulldozed, again. It saved a try sure, but it was an intentional hit and we'll see him found guilty.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The above still of Hodge using the right arm in the tackle is plain wrong. The frame used shows the maximum that arm got in terms of a wrap-around and the arm only got that far due to the impact. I reckon Hodge knew he had to slam him or be bulldozed, again. It saved a try sure, but it was an intentional hit and we'll see him found guilty.

o_O

Oh I see, but the stills the NH media re using are the correct ones. We'll see what WR (World Rugby) have to say about it, nothing thus far.

It certainly wasn't a calculated targeting like the one that saw ScoBar miss one game.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I thought JOC (James O'Connor) went OK, made some good yards and put players around him in better positions

I actually reckon we should switch JOC (James O'Connor) and Kerevi around. JOC (James O'Connor) is there for the second playmaker role and Kerevi's skills and read aren't quite good enough for a 12.