• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC QF 3 IRE v ARG (Millenium Stadium) 18th Oct 2300 AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chunderstruck

Alex Ross (28)
Just as a little bit of a comparison for you.

Argentina have played 13 tests in the last twelve months. They've won 8 and lost 5. 61% winning record. Looks good on the surface.

However of the wins, 5 have come against tier 2 nations (Namibia, Tonga, Georgia, Paraguay and Uruguay).

That leaves 3 wins out of their 8 tests against tier 1 nations. They have beaten South Africa (who lost all three Rugby Championship game - and then beat Argentina shortly afterwards), France (by 18-13 at home) and to Italy (20-18 at home).

In the same period, Ireland have played 16 Tests. They've won 13 and lost 3. 81% winning record.

3 of those wins have come against Tier 2 nations. The remaining 13 tests have been against Tier One Nations and they have won 10 of those tests. Of the three that they have lost, two were the final warm up games for the World Cup.

My take on all this is that all the fear of Argentina is based on them beating South Africa once.which everyone has done this year. And based on them running the All Blacks close in this tournament and some slick moves against tier two nations.

To be fair, Argentina did beat SA in SA, something Ireland have never achieved. Also, Ireland never managed any more than "running the All Blacks close" either ;)

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

Argentina have played 13 tests in the last twelve months. They've won 8 and lost 5. 61% winning record. Looks good on the surface.

However of the wins, 5 have come against tier 2 nations (Namibia, Tonga, Georgia, Paraguay and Uruguay).

That leaves 3 wins out of their 8 tests against tier 1 nations. They have beaten South Africa (who lost all three Rugby Championship game - and then beat Argentina shortly afterwards), France (by 18-13 at home) and to Italy (20-18 at home).

In the same period, Ireland have played 16 Tests. They've won 13 and lost 3. 81% winning record.

3 of those wins have come against Tier 2 nations. The remaining 13 tests have been against Tier One Nations and they have won 10 of those tests. Of the three that they have lost, two were the final warm up games for the World Cup.

My take on all this is that all the fear of Argentina is based on them beating South Africa once.which everyone has done this year. And based on them running the All Blacks close in this tournament and some slick moves against tier two nations.
Just one question.
Why do you classify the game v England as a tier 1 nation?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

That's true as far as it goes. What I think that you have left out of that analysis is the current Ireland injury and suspension issues, which bring things much closer than they might otherwise be.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
To be fair, Argentina did beat SA in SA, something Ireland have never achieved. Also, Ireland never managed any more than "running the All Blacks close" either ;)

Actually they have drawn with NZ but that does not matter.

Ireland has not lost to any Southern Hemisphere since November 2013.

Chunderstruck

Alex Ross (28)
Actually they have drawn with NZ but that does not matter.

Ireland has not lost to any Southern Hemisphere since November 2013.
Argentina drew with NZ more recently, in 1985

The only* games Ireland have won in the SH in the last 35 years are the two against Argentina last year

*Edit: at the opposition's venue

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Just one question.
Why do you classify the game v England as a tier 1 nation?

Talking Cricket, Rugby or Soccer game?

They have achieved minnow status in all three, but beware, Stoke on Trent's finest, Phil "The Power" Taylor and Adrian "Jackpot" Lewis, rule the Darts world.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Argentina drew with NZ more recently, in 1985

The only* games Ireland have won in the SH in the last 35 years are the two against Argentina last year

*Edit: at the opposition's venue
This game isn't being played in the SH. Indeed it is as close as you will get to a home game for Ireland who will be supplying at least 80% of the support, I would guess. Now that brings with it a lot of pressure and Argentina are not even close to being a gimme, but I think the bookmakers have it right and Ireland are deserved favourites. That said, it will be quite a performance for Ireland to win without Paulie, Peter and Sean but I think we can do it.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
CRbxKVaUAAASDda.jpg

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
This will be won by no more than 7 I reckon. Initially thought Los Pumas would have a good shot at winning this but I think their loss of Bosch will be significant.

The Irish bench will be shut the game out in addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.