• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC QF 4 AUS v SCO (Twickenham) 19th Oct 0200 AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
If Australia had lost as a result people here would be welcoming a comment from World Rugby. Have seen it several times in Super Rugby where a team (and fans) feel vindicated as a result of them issuing a statement following similar tough losses. Instead it seems like sweeping this under the rug is the best option. Not sure how the other 19 countries feel about that.
Fair point.

We move on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Agree.

So Joubert can't send to TMO, under the rules. Yet WR (World Rugby) had a group of guys look at 'all available angles', something that wasn't available to Joubert.

Anyway, the result is in the books.
So is the result of the body line series. Has it been forgotten in Australia?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The World Rugby statement is a bugger's muddle: http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/115761.
The most important feature of the on field ruling was that there were some camera angles in which you could not even see whether Phipps touched it. The second most important aspect was that Joubert had no option to go to the TMO for help.
As a result if from his location he did not see Phipps touch it he was bound to do what he did.
In addition, however, WR (World Rugby) invokes Law 11.3(c) without explanation of the nature of the intention required to put the Welsh player onside.
Joubert may not have seen the whole transaction and therefore may have been unable to determine whether, even if he saw it touch Phipps, it was was the result of intention.
In short World Rugby has hung Joubert out to dry and has given too little credence to the fact that the decision had to be made without TMO input.
Its all very well to go down the Owens route but then you finish up in the farcical situation we saw with the ABs (v France) where he was giving them coaching about whether the bloke in the tramlines could come into halfback before the lineout had ended - that should have been penalised not counselled.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
The logic of the UK's Media:

bad_decision_against_samoa.jpg

pjm

Billy Sheehan (19)
Phipps was playing at the ball before the Scottish player touched it. Once that player touched it Phipps was no longer playing at the same ball and the ball just bounced off his upper chest which is hardly how someone plays at a ball.

Good call from Joubert and bad form by World Rugby for throwing a ref under the bus for a line ball call that took them 25 freeze frames to work out.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The censure was when it was brought to my attention. Look at the timestamps - the thread moves fast.
I take objection to being accused of bias - I addressed the reported post when it was reported, and I read the other in real time, and responded. I have looked extensively at that poster's record and it speaks volumes. Multiple reported posts over a long period. I have access to far more data than you.
I've responded more harshly to many posts, reported or otherwise (and there is a shitload reported that you guys don't see).
I'll leave that there.
It's ironic that Cyclo is having to defend himself in this manner in the midst of the debate on Joubert's performance. Without referees there is no game people, or at best if becomes unplayable.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Phipps was playing at the ball before the Scottish player touched it. Once that player touched it Phipps was no longer playing at the same ball and the ball just bounced off his upper chest which is hardly how someone plays at a ball.

Good call from Joubert and bad form by World Rugby for throwing a ref under the bus for a line ball call that took them 25 freeze frames to work out.

No matter how many times you say it, you can't change the fact that it was an incorrect call, as confirmed by World Rugby.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
OK, finally watched the game in full last night

My thoughts?

Aus weren't mentally "on" in defence, they were passive, not aggressive for long periods and looked flat. We really lacked defensive sting and that made turnovers harder to come by, and that meant the Scots had more opportunities for field position and pressure. Fix the attitude to defense and we will be a much more formidable team in the match.

And not just the tackling, but the getting off their arses and back into position quickly (if they want an example of "effort" show them the ABs in the France game)

That may have been subconsciously from the ease their attack was carving up the Scots when they got into their 22. Our attacking structure worked well, pulling in defensive units and then we attacked the edge and leveraged the overlap. We did leave two clear bombed tries as well

The game looked like a few Tahs games in the last three years, where we looked like we were going to score 60, scored early and never mentally were prepared to do what was required to blot them out and go on with it.

The Scots kept pressuring and deserved to turn that pressure into points, their two opensides blotted out our attack, their scrum caused grief and they kept in the game.

I thought Foley must have had an absolute nightmare reading the posts, while not perfect (he missed some hard conversions and had a charge down) he did do pretty well at working with Gits to direct play

Slipper? In 100 other matches he would never have
thrown that pass, he will never do it again either

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Bloody poor form from WR (World Rugby), releasing a statement on one decision that favoured the scots. This simply reinforces the view of retards that decisions at the death are objectively worth more than those in the 10th or 65th minutes. Typical home Union bias shown by WR (World Rugby) in throwing a (southern hemisphere) ref under the bus to appease a home Union.

I'm glad the northern hemisphere sides are no longer participating. Fuck them.

As for Nigel Owens, you're on drugs if you think he is better than Joubert.

Status
Not open for further replies.