• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC QF 4 AUS v SCO (Twickenham) 19th Oct 0200 AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I listened to a Podcast on the BBC today that had Mike Tindall as a guest. Interesting that he said he was at the game and immediately thought it was a penalty (The final penalty in question of course). He said he went home to watch the game sans emotion and still thinks the penalty a reasonable outcome though a 50:50.

A good podcast and raises the important point about the future for Refs if the IRB is going to pull the shit they have with Joubert again.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I listened to a Podcast on the BBC today that had Mike Tindall as a guest. Interesting that he said he was at the game and immediately thought it was a penalty (The final penalty in question of course). He said he went home to watch the game sans emotion and still thinks the penalty a reasonable outcome though a 50:50.

A good podcast and raises the important point about the future for Refs if the IRB is going to pull the shit they have with Joubert again.

I've never seen a sporting body hang a ref/umpire out to dry on a matter like this.

I dont know who the Scots have in there, but whoever it is must have some influence.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Maybe it's a bias as to the things that I follow, bit both the AFL and the Pro12 often provide commentary concerning potentially controversial decisions.

As I've said, on first time viewing, I did think it was potentially a penalty, I'd want my team to get that one, so I'm not too bothered that it went against us, it's just slightly souring that it was the end to an exciting game.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I've never seen a sporting body hang a ref/umpire out to dry on a matter like this.

I dont know who the Scots have in there, but whoever it is must have some influence.
The chairman of the referee selection committee who conducted the review is John Jeffrey (Scotland).

As has been said on another thread, I'm sure he does his job impartially and without nationalistic considerations, but from a perception POV it doesn't look great.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
seriously, the refs should tell the IRB to just fuck off and stop interfering with "on field matters". they have completely undermined the authority that the refs are supposed to have. whoever the refs are for the semis should just pull their earplugs out and call it as they see it, and ignore the TMO and AR's completely.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well, Cheika was asked about it again today, and he didn't miss with each hand grenade (in bold) thrown at World Rugby:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rug...-rugby-over-joubert-controversy-34124158.html

Cheika hits out at pundits and World Rugby over Joubert controversy

Even Michael Cheika found it odd to take a position on the side of the machine he routinely rages against this morning. Cheika, the defender of the referees was not a comfortable fit.

Yet the Australia coach presented himself before the media this morning for the second successive day because World Rugby’s decision to publish a statement on Craig Joubert’s decision to award his side a last-gasp penalty for accidental offside has fuelled a fire that refuses to die.

Instead, they affirmed that Australia should have had a scrum.

The statement read: "Law 11.3© should have been applied, putting (Jon) Welsh onside. The appropriate decision, therefore, should have been a scrum to Australia for the original knock-on" and included a character reference from refereeing chief Joel Jutge, but in reality it did little other than undermine the referee in question.

It was an unprecedented move in which the game’s governing body openly declared their referee wrong. It should have been a scrum. With the South African official, who took charge of the last World Cup final, off the list for the last four games, Cheika feels he has been thrown under a bus.

He also took aim at the various pundits who have labelled the referee a “disgrace” in the case of Matt Dawson and a “coward” in the case of Andy Nicol, while Gavin Hastings said the South African "let the game down”.

"I can't seem like I'm looking after the ref either, it's not like I've come from a pristine background with relationships with officials, but once the game's done and dusted I'm as good as gold with anyone,” he said at the Australian team base near Twickenham this morning.

"The game's on the field, in the white line, everyone goes hard. Afterwards, as passionate as I might be about it on the field and when all that's happening, off the field there's no drama.

"It's a game. Unfortunately, in this instance, people have taken the game off the field and have gotten quite personal about it. People who are supposedly people in the game who are earning a living from the game in commentary and stuff like that."

Unlike most of the big decisions at this World Cup, Joubert did not have the recourse of the video referee that most of his colleagues have referred to throughout the tournament.

Asked if he felt the decision to issue a statement sends the wrong message to those thinking of taking up refereeing in the future, Cheika said it was and reckons that a can of worms will be opened.

"Not really, genuinely I've never seen that before,” he said. "I'm not sure why that decision had to be reviewed. I really hope that his fellow referees stand by him.

"If you want to start the list now, every team will have one as long as their arms and with reason too. It's not the way it's ever been done, I don't know why it's been done now.

"I really feel for the ref. It's so unfair, not other referee has had this stuff put out there like that. Craig Joubert is a really good referee and that's about it.

“Well, I’d like my mates to back me up a little bit more on the odd occasion.

“I really do feel for him, I suppose we'll send in the list after every match and make it happen every time... that's what I think about that.

"This is all I want to say about this to be honest, we talk about having the right principles in the game and all of that and I don't think that that's, from some of the commentary that's been going on about Craig Joubert and all of that and the way it's been handled - otherwise we'll make a list… I don't know if the Samoans are putting in a list about Scotland and the little knock-on before Scotland scored at the end, I don't know how many lists we'll send in.

"But, if they are going to review them all, we'll start making the lists I suppose.

"It's a bit surprising, because no other decision in the tournament has been reviewed, has it?"

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Lol. I'd love to see you "swingpass" it by us again if the referee in the final costs you the world cup.

they all make mistakes, every game and its often about interpretation. i have never played in a game where i thought the ref was right every time. you hope it doesn't affect the outcome of the game but if it does, i'll get pissed off for a while and then realise the best teams win in spite of the ref not because of him. and i won't whinge or expect the IRB to castigate him for it.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Lol. I'd love to see you "swingpass" it by us again if the referee in the final costs you the world cup.

Probably some people would, but we are all anonymous nobodies on an internet forum, we're not in highly paid official positions charged with running the game.

As Cheika said, let's review every penalty or decision that we don't like in every game, which is the natural progression from this.

Some of those Scottish scrum penalties looked pretty 50/50 to me, but they kicked a couple of penalty goals from them.

Pretty suspect that the only decision in the whole tournament to be the subject to an official review is this one. And John Jeffrey happens to be Scottish, who'd have thought?

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Probably some people would, but we are all anonymous nobodies on an internet forum, we're not in highly paid official positions charged with running the game.

As Cheika said, let's review every penalty or decision that we don't like in every game, which is the natural progression from this.

Some of those Scottish scrum penalties looked pretty 50/50 to me, but they kicked a couple of penalty goals from them.

Pretty suspect that the only decision in the whole tournament to be the subject to an official review is this one. And John Jeffrey happens to be Scottish, who'd have thought?

Who's talking about officials? Talking about exactly what swingpass said. If he can repeat that after losing the final in a suspect way, then all credit to him.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

It may be fancy schmancy "World Rugby" but its still the home nations calling the tune

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The way this thread powers on you'd think we lost

Although most of the power is coming from non-Wallaby fans.

What seems to have escaped them, is that it's one thing for the fans of the losing team to rage on about close refereeing calls, the Welsh are still maintaining the rage over a try from 1905, but it's quite another for the governing body to have a go.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

I doubt that a single decision ever costs anybody the World Cup. Scotland did not dominate the game, to the contrary, they were outplayed. Five tries to three is a pretty comprehensive margin.

As has been stated elsewhere the alternative decision (a scrum to Australia not all that far from the line) with a couple of minutes on the clock could quite possibly have led to a similar result.

Or Foley could have missed, just as he missed several winning shots earlier in the game.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Who's talking about officials? Talking about exactly what swingpass said. If he can repeat that after losing the final in a suspect way, then all credit to him.

It's WR (World Rugby) officials who have publicly questioned their own referee - which is completely different from what goes on in sites like this.

I'll leave Swingpass to speak for himself as we all do, but WR (World Rugby) is supposed to be the custodian of the game.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I doubt that a single decision ever costs anybody the World Cup. Scotland did not dominate the game, to the contrary, they were outplayed. Five tries to three is a pretty comprehensive margin.

As has been stated elsewhere the alternative decision (a scrum to Australia not all that far from the line) with a couple of minutes on the clock could quite possibly have led to a similar result.

Or Foley could have missed, just as he missed several winning shots earlier in the game.

Or we could have received a penalty from the previous scrum in which the Scottish fron row appeared to stand-up under pressure - which has been ruthlessly penalised all RWC.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)

Good. So no complaints about referees for the next 160(200*) minutes of rugby they play then.

Status
Not open for further replies.