• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC QF 4 AUS v SCO (Twickenham) 19th Oct 0200 AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
joubert.jpg

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
I reckon after all this carry on that the next time we play them we'll put them to the fucking sword. Probably in front of a full house, if it's in Scotland.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
I reckon after all this carry on that the next time we play them we'll put them to the fucking sword. Probably in front of a full house, if it's in Scotland.

Not if the last 4 matches between you and them are anything to go by.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Can we please close this subject?
We lost we will moan but get over it!
Sites are now advocating violence against traveling fans
Please close before we get to this
We are rugby supporters first and foremost

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
^^^^^
Well, an easy solution would be if anyone who feels the need to post something sniping one way or the other just stopped, it would die down. But I agree, it has really passed its used-by date.

Alex

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I think it isn't an intentional knock on because the ball doesn't touch the ground. You have to read the laws together.

DEFINITION: KNOCK-ON
A knock-on occurs when a player loses possession of the ball and it goes forward, or when a player hits the ball forward with the hand or arm, or when the ball hits the hand or arm and goes forward, and the ball touches the ground or another player before the original player can catch it.
‘Forward’ means towards the opposing team’s dead ball line.

12.1 The outcome of a knock-on or throw forward

(f)
Intentional knock or throw forward. A player must not intentionally knock the ball forward with hand or arm, nor throw forward.

When you read all three in concert (f) doesn't apply because no knock on occurred.

Was this the law that was apocryphally changed to prevent the practice attributed to Dally Messenger of throwing the ball over the heads of defenders, running past and catching it on the other side? Probably a question for Lee Grant or Bruce Ross?

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Was this the law that was apocryphally changed to prevent the practice attributed to Dally Messenger of throwing the ball over the heads of defenders, running past and catching it on the other side? Probably a question for Lee Grant or Bruce Ross?

Yes. Basically you are not allowed to throw the ball forward intentionally at any time, otherwise it's a penalty.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
"The boot was on the other foot", for me today.
Watching our Grandson in the 8 year-old touch footy comp on the Gold Coast. Given that some tries are declared 'no-tries', due to a player being "tagged" as they are about to ground the ball, and play is re-started, it is fairly easy to keep the score.
At full-time, I declared that it was a 5-all draw.
My grandson's other Grandfather was standing next to me, and felt sure the score was 6-5 to 'our boys'.

The two 14 year-old female referees scored the match 5-4 to the other team!

I had seen our players score 5 tries, said "no way", and immediately contemplated having "a chat" to the lady refs re a clarification.
I then said to a friend, "If I did that it would put me in the same class as the Scottish Rugby supporters", so I resisted the urge!!

I share your pain, Scotland!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I disagree.

If it is not meant to be read in concert then every single intercept that isn't caught cleanly would be or should be penalised.

I think you have to consider the way the laws are consistently applied here as evidence of the intention.

I agree that there is some ambiguity in the way it is phrased.

Don't know BH. The intent of the law makers might be completely different to the interpretations of referees, although I'd hope not. Personally, I'd be quite happy for all unsuccessful intercept attempts to be penalised. Such a cynical play to disrupt an attacking movement.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Most Laws are written as reactionary to a situation that has arisen after the basic Law has been corrupted by the players and coaches, and they add provisos or revise it altogether.

Interpretations change much more regularly. I tried to sit through some of RWC2007 on FS2 the other day and just fucking couldn't. No phase play to speak of. Kicking! Good attacking raids stunted by what would be nowhere near a turnover these days.

There are things that still need tweaking e.g. maul. But overall the balance is still pretty good, but the refs just need a bit of alignment.

Status
Not open for further replies.