• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC23 - Pool A - NZ, FRA, ITL, URU, NAM

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Given games are in the middle night and through the week, out of respect for people who won't be able to watch matches live but still want to engage broadly on the RWC, let's keep spoilers to the match threads

New Zealand, France, Italy, Uruguay, Namibia - The easiest group to pick first and second. Can't picture Italy causing a upset and knocking off NZ or France. Will NZ and France be undercooked heading into the QF not having played a hard test in a month?

Last edited:

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Despite no Ntamack, France has announced a stacked final 33 squad. Got that healthy look about it with three clubs dominating selections, peppered with jets from other clubs. Interestingly, the Wallabies have selected players from more individual clubs than the French.

Anthony Jelonch, after a long injury lay off, pushes out Dylan Cretin, who I'd start today at 6 in Gold. No room either for veteran Brice Dulin and Ethan Dumortier. They're also risking Cyril Baille who's injured for another month at least. If Cyril doesn't come good, their props are starting to look a little worrying.
1692661849522.png

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Apparently France are considering using their star hooker, Mauvaka, at 8 for the games against the minnows. Would be absolutely fine.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Prediction: NZ to absolutely dismantle France in front of 60,000 frogs to put a real dampener on this RWC.
After the games on the weekend, not too sure about this. I think it might be closer than people think. I'm not sure who's going to be on top of this game though.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Prediction: NZ to absolutely dismantle France in front of 60,000 frogs to put a real dampener on this RWC.
This is one possible scenario. But how likely is it? NZ comfortably accounted for Australia twice, though one was relatively close, France comfortably accounted for Australia once. NZ thrashed SA once in the RC and then got thrashed by SA in the lead up game. SA thrashed Australia in the RC. NZ and SA on paper were almost full strength every time. If you pick the game you like best, you can justify any scenario you want.

But comparing form over the last three months, expecting NZ to dismantle France in the opener is more wishful thinking than anything else. It may well happen, but it's not really likely. It would be a real upset considering France are at home. Upsets happen from time to time, but you won't win a tipping comp if you pick all the upsets.

I've picked NZ in a close one, but could easily change my mind when teams are announced. I'll probably be unsure of my tip right up till kick-off.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
@Hawko , thats an awful sensible post mate. Or just one I agree with wholeheartedly anyway, I will be happy if ABs sneak in by a point, but won't be shocked if they lost. Mind you I see that in a hell of a lot of games.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NZ will win the opener, France are there for the taking at the moment whilst Jalibert settles and Baille and Danty are missing. Going to be a huge bounce back.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
If France don't win >14 points, absolute minimum, then they might as well pack it up and invite their eastern neighbours to take over management again.

Ian Foster ffs.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I love how people are digging up the old "AB never play shit two games running" adage...

14/11/21 Ireland 29-20 AB
21/11/21 France 40-25 AB

We could win by 20, lose by 20 or anything in between (draw included) v France, it just depends who gets into penalty & Card trouble first IMO.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I love how people are digging up the old "AB never play shit two games running" adage...

14/11/21 Ireland 29-20 AB
21/11/21 France 40-25 AB

We could win by 20, lose by 20 or anything in between (draw included) v France, it just depends who gets into penalty & Card trouble first IMO.
What about the loss to SA last year…

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
No Danty (and no Baille) no France win. France has won every game that Danty has started for the past 2.5 years. Moefana has started in their two losses in the past 2 years.

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
France were very sloppy today - I reckon O'Keefe went soft on Uruguay though - Plenty of times they push the boundaries and he let it go. Uruguay have a bit of skill - They games against Italy will be good. Namibia will be a good game