• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

S14: Final - North vs South Soweto

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Well done Bulls. Not a bad game to watch at all! Only down side for me were the horns everyone had. I wish the TV team had turned down the ground effect microphones a bit!

Sounded like a Perpignan game in the highlights I saw. Just the right amount of horns can create an awesome atmosphere. Too many, or a marching band, just gets annoying.

Awesome game, and Hougaard's try was pretty good to watch too.

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
Commiserations PB. I am currently holidaying in Thailand, watched the game live from a bar in Pattaya Beach. At half time Telecast was lost and did not return, thankfully I was able to turn my attention to other forms of entertainment....

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
Commiserations PB. I am currently holidaying in Thailand, watched the game live from a bar in Pattaya Beach. At half time Telecast was lost and did not return, thankfully I was able to turn my attention to other forms of entertainment....
Where there ping pong balls involved? :no smilies, so imagine devils horns on a yellow face:

How bloody good was Fourie du Preez? Not to mention the future Bulls and Springbok scrumhalf (once FdP goes to Japan) Francois Hougaard, whose try was setup by FdP's perfect pass into space, and then finished with a nice step around Joe Pieterson. Not a bad wing, although 9 is his preferred position. Three wins in the last four years ain't too shabby. Hard luck Paarl.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Wasnt that impressed with Joubert's refereeing. Thought his interpretations at the breakdown were very sus and Burger had every right to get the shits. Surely when a ruck has formed (i.e. two players from opposing teams forming a bind to each other with the ball on ground), it should be hands off. However, Joubert seemed to be content to allow the contest for the ball to continue until a) it was one or b) someone else joined the ruck to make it more of a ruck or c) someone was cleaned out leaving the ball to be won. Felt it spoilt an otherwise enjoyable contest.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Wasnt that impressed with Joubert's refereeing. Thought his interpretations at the breakdown were very sus and Burger had every right to get the shits. Surely when a ruck has formed (i.e. two players from opposing teams forming a bind to each other with the ball on ground), it should be hands off. However, Joubert seemed to be content to allow the contest for the ball to continue until a) it was one or b) someone else joined the ruck to make it more of a ruck or c) someone was cleaned out leaving the ball to be won. Felt it spoilt an otherwise enjoyable contest.

At the risk of sounding like a sore loser, I agree with you. The Bulls did not seem to release the tackled player at all. But it is all history now and I am sure the Stormers will be back next year.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Forgot one massive refereering blunder though that went in the Stormers favour, namely the try that was given that was a no-try due to the ball being about 6ft from the tryline. What on earth possessed Joubert not to go upstairs for a ruling?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Watched the game sitting in Helsinki airport waiting for a connecting flight. One of the more interesting places to watch rugby. As a biased Bulls fan watching on a small laptop screen, even I could see the Stormers were getting a raw deal at the breakdown. Having said that, how many warnings do you need Schalk? The Stormers just could not adapt to the ref.

I reckon the Bulls would have won, regardless who reffed. Superb display of control.

I am a happy man!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Just want to congrats the Brute supporters on their win. They sure deserve the win and show why they are up there.

Its always going to be difficulot to fight back after a 16-3 defecit after 20+ minutes but at the least the Stormers tried and at some point I just get the feel they are back in it. Bekker making that huge mistake but this show we still have a bit of distance to go.

Still I am more then satisfied with the Stormers effort this year and look next year with CJ van der Linde and Jean de Villiers additions they sure will be back starting right now with the CC.

for me Fourie and Morne was all class and the diffiorense altho I thought Dewaldt Duvenhage had his usual good game. Between this two sets of inside halves SA is well served for the future.

Anyway congrats to the Brutes, you sure are a champion side and one myself is proud on.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Hey PB, where you at Newlands for the Stormers vs Waratahs semi? If so, you can find yourself in the 360 degree high res picture. Pretty cool, I found Morne du Plessis and I think Hennie Bekker. Oh, and the eye candy on the far right FTW!

http://stadiums.in3sixty.com/gigapixel/newlands/tag/
Dankie Rusty, impressive Boet. If you find Hennie & Mornes Matie Bok team mate Rob Louw, see Itec's Box on the Head Pavillion on the top losie level,, he is sitting on the stairs, you'll find my empty seat on his left hand side. That shot was just before the semi started and I have gone for a piss just before kick off. Have that tendency since my playing days .

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Both teams should be proud of their seasons. The Bulls looked like champions from the first game of the year and finished the season in style. The Stormers were not far behind them (literally with the way the draw worked) and seem like they are going to be a real force in the future.

PB - What did you think of Burgers comments about the ref at the presentation?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Both teams should be proud of their seasons. The Bulls looked like champions from the first game of the year and finished the season in style. The Stormers were not far behind them (literally with the way the draw worked) and seem like they are going to be a real force in the future.

PB - What did you think of Burgers comments about the ref at the presentation?
Know Schalkie quite well, not the type that will walk with his sleaves down and will tell the way he feels. understand even Coetzee the coach tried to have a talk with Joubert at half time. Thats their job to say the way they feel about it but myself will never qoute it as a reason why the Stormers lost this one, if this is what you want to hear. The better team won on the night.....full stop. We lost this one in the first 20 minutes, lack of BMT.

During the game I felt Schalk's try should have been allowed and a close and brave call by the TMO, but then Pie Eaters try was short, these things do cancel each other out during a game.

Forgot to mention Januarie, been one of his heaviest critics but thought he did well the time he played and hoping he will do the same against the Druids this weekend.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
PB

Well said. The better team did win. I thought the Stormers had a great chance but the Brutes had that edge of experience in big matches. They were pretty damn impressive.

I thought that the Bulls would leak a few tries and then have trouble coming back against a (ahem) storming Stormers defence, but it was not to be.

Top game by FdP give or take the odd box kick that was too long but it would be interesting to watch the game again with him not present. We judge out own scrumhalf Will Genia highly, but FdP is still the benchmark. His kicking, and sniping in combination with his supports, is still superior to Genia's but I would judge the Aussie better than FdP at the same age. Watch this space on Will.

You must have been disappointed when M. Steyn started stacking up the points with penalties, as I was when the Tahs played the Stormers, and you must have felt death by a thousand cuts - or at least 4 or 5.

But well done to your boys for playing like they did this year. They have been the perennial underachievers in SA rugby just as the Tahs have been in Oz and the Canes (and Blues recently) in NZ.

We will all expect the Stormers to carry on in 2011 as they did in 2010. Unfortunately.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
PB

Well said. The better team did win. I thought the Stormers had a great chance but the Brutes had that edge of experience in big matches. They were pretty damn impressive.

I thought that the Bulls would leak a few tries and then have trouble coming back against a (ahem) storming Stormers defence, but it was not to be.

Top game by FdP give or take the odd box kick that was too long but it would be interesting to watch the game again with him not present. We judge out own scrumhalf Will Genia highly, but FdP is still the benchmark. His kicking, and sniping in combination with his supports, is still superior to Genia's but I would judge the Aussie better than FdP at the same age. Watch this space on Will.

You must have been disappointed when M. Steyn started stacking up the points with penalties, as I was when the Tahs played the Stormers, and you must have felt death by a thousand cuts - or at least 4 or 5.

But well done to your boys for playing like they did this year. They have been the perennial underachievers in SA rugby just as the Tahs have been in Oz and the Canes (and Blues recently) in NZ.

We will all expect the Stormers to carry on in 2011 as they did in 2010. Unfortunately.
Thanks Oom Lee, ja we missed the cherry on the cake in 2010 but we have to start right now with the CC just around the corner.

Things that happened with the Stormers in 2010 that are positives.
1. The coaching staff has been brilliant in their debut year. A lot of credit have to go to Coetzee, Fleckie and specially Proudfoot. The two latter coaches made their mark in the Varsity Cup and they proved themself now on S14 level. Always know Rassie is brilliant but Coetzee and the other two with the defensive coach, big credit for what they done.
2. Schalk Burger has been brilliant not only as a player but leading his team. Thats the one that always had us on the backfoot. Luke Watson had a bigger impact within the team spirit disrubting factor then we ever would have thought.
3. The senior player acquisitions Habs & Mossie was great for the Stormers. This two plus the Bekker and Burger show was brilliant this year. Expecting Bekker to take his form onto international level this year.
4. A lot of youngster players getting better and use to S14 level. Probably cant think of one player not up his own ante on S14 level.

Now with the addition of Jean de Villiers in the CC and CJ van der Linde next years Super Rugby I cant see us lower our aims and hope we'll go the full Monty next time. The new S15 competition obvious a different kettle of fish we are use to and the journey will start in the 2010 CC season. Expecting a few Stormer players to make the Bok Squad and not available but it will be the perfect platform for players like Pieter Louw, Fourie, Anton van Zyl, Steenkamp, Pieter Myburgh, Lionel Cronje , Tim Whitehead to take their S14 level just that bit higher.

Interesting read , Heyneke Meyer the Brutes director of coaching have on the Stormers and the future
Sport24
Vodacom Super 14

Meyer: Stormers' future bright
2010-05-31 08:17Email | Print

Heyneke Meyer (File)
Stephen Nell

Soweto – The Stormers may have lost Saturday’s Super 14 final to the Bulls, but Heyneke Meyer is predicting a bright future for the team from Cape Town.

Meyer, who holds the position of executive: rugby coaching at the Blue Bulls and was an assistant coach at the Stormers earlier in his career, reminded the Stormers that the Bulls first had to suffer defeat in their semi-finals in 2005 and 2006 before finally being crowned champions in 2007.

“If you look at where the Stormers have been the past two years, they showed a lot of character to come back. Western Province’s junior structures are looking good,” Meyer told Sport24 after Saturday’s Super 14 final.

“It took us two losing semi-finals to learn our lessons after we had already won the Currie Cup a few times. We won the Super 14 for the first time in 2007 and it was a close one.”

Meyer believes the Bulls’ experience carried them through on Saturday. They led 16-0 after Francois Hougaard’s converted try in the 25th minute and three Morne Steyn penalties.

“People always say it comes down to which team is the hungrier, but that is a cliché. It’s about the team that can handle the pressure better. The Stormers played better rugby at times, but the Bulls are tactically experienced,” said Meyer.

“It was a matter of a very experienced side against one that is almost there. I believe the Stormers will go from strength to strength and will be a very tough team to beat going forward.”

Meyer knows he will have a big challenge on his hands when a number of the Bulls’ senior players retire or move to overseas clubs next year.

“It’s good to see WP as a major power in the game again. My big challenge will be when Victor and the guys finish. You can’t buy experience. That is what the Stormers will build in the next few years. Hopefully we still see a lot of north-south derbies, but it will be a challenge to keep the Bulls up there.”

As far as the Stormers are concerned, Meyer believes they should simply build on their Super 14 campaign.

“If they can build from here, especially in the Currie Cup, it’s just a matter of time before they win it. Most of their players are still young and they showed a lot of character in the final. You win finals with character. This Stormers team has a good future.”

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
Andre Watson responding to the Stormers assertions that the referring was one sided:

The statistics of the match provided by South Africa's refereeing boss Andre Watson, make it quite clear there was no "coaching" of the Bulls by referee Joubert at the breakdowns as alleged by Burger, who after the match said that two sets of laws were applied by Joubert.

"After reports in various newspapers and websites I looked at whether there were grounds for the allegations," said Watson.

"According to the reports Craig Joubert allegedly "coached" the Bulls while the Stormers were simply penalised.

"With that as background, I went through every clip of the match - we have the technology to do so - and came to the following conclusions: There were 167 rucks in the match. The Stormers took the ball in 85 times and the Bulls did so on 82 occasions. Craig (Joubert) spoke 25 times to the Stormers and 28 times to the Bulls at the breakdowns.

"On not a single occasion did he repeat any warning. He throughout warned both sides only once where it was applicable and then penalised them if the persisted.

"The Bulls were penalised seven times at the breakdowns and the Stormers six times. Every penalty but two, where he penalised immediately, came after warnings to the offending side."

http://www.rugby365.com/tournaments/super14/news/2449381.htm

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Watched the game last night, it was a bloody good game of rugby and I really enjoyed it

Status
Not open for further replies.