• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

S14 re-format

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

formeropenside

I really dont think a 5th (or even a 4th) team really adds anything to Oz rugby: more players get a run, but its not like a lot of rough diamonds will be uncovered. There will just be a bigger cabinet for more cubic zirconia to be displayed.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
So you'd prefer the status quo of never having any more than say 120 professional players rather than extending ourselves a little further to 150 odd and hoping to fill that up with quality players in time?

I am convinced that the only way to grow rugby in this country is to have more teams, a longer season and more local derbies. What we have at the moment is a professional season that only goes for 3 months before the representative season. It is rididulous when you compare it to the other codes, particularly AFL and League. What we need is a better balance between the professional season and representative season. We of course have to keep our pinnacle of rugby, in test matches and the wallabies at the forefront, but that is pointless if everything below it looses money. We should not ever, ever, think that the cricket model in this country is the way to run rugby. The soccer model with around 6 months of professional competition mixed with plenty of rep stuff is the best fit.

I have confidence that if we can have this sort of tournament playing in Australia year in year out we will begin to take some of league's audience, particularly if they continue with the issues that dog them, and we will stall the damage from AFL and Soccer. Winning the competition with league is of particular importance, as it will give young guys that are on the cusp of league/union decision further options to take up in union, thus helping fill our 5th team. Of course it won't happen overnight, but (you know the rest).

(passionate rant over)

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Good post Scotty, agree with all of that. The professional season is far too short and increasing opportunity and player base through having more teams might be ugly in the short term but of longer term benefit.

F

formeropenside

I think an ARC would be a better bet than a 5th Super team.

T

TOCC

im all for the ARC as the next person, but we have to face the facts that no broadcaster is going to pay enough money for the ARC to keep it viable, and the ARU cant afford to keep ploughing money into the ARC while they are waiting for it to become popular enough to pick up a decent broadcaster.

In the short term, a 5th team is the perfect option, people may commen on the playing pool not being deep enough but there are ways to work around that, we need a 5th team to spread the coverage of the sport and get more professional rugby players in the sport.

My proposal for a 5th team(to be based in either Gold Coast, West Sydney or Melbourne) would be to give the team concessions on players recruitment that are then reduced over a perioud of 3-4 years.

1. The 5th team will be able to recruit 50% of there players from overseas, initially being 16 foreign players out of the squad with that then being reduced by 3 players every year until there is only 3 foreign players in the side.

2. More Junior Academy spots for the first 3 years with it then being reduced to the same amount as the rest of the S14 sides.

This i belive would solve many issues in relation to recruiting and development of the players whilst still creating a highly competitive team, the creation of the Force showed us how much it damaged the other provinces, i believe with the two pronged policy of foreign recruitment and larger junior academy it could greatly reduce the issues associated with that.

There is no shortage of juniors coming through, you only have to look at the schoolboy players of the past 4-6 years and see how many of them have being picked up by NRL sides.The extra threat from the new S14 side would encourage the rest of the Aus S14 sides to be more competitive in junior recruitment and scouting and make sure that the threat of NRL sides is mitigated.

F

formeropenside

TOCC I think you mean QLd and NSW juniors, lets face it, not a lot come from anywhere else

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Scotty said:
I am convinced that the only way to grow rugby in this country is to have more teams, a longer season and more local derbies. What we have at the moment is a professional season that only goes for 3 months before the representative season. It is ridiculous when you compare it to the other codes, particularly AFL and League. What we need is a better balance between the professional season and representative season. We of course have to keep our pinnacle of rugby, in test matches and the wallabies at the forefront, but that is pointless if everything below it looses money. We should not ever, ever, think that the cricket model in this country is the way to run rugby. The soccer model with around 6 months of professional competition mixed with plenty of rep stuff is the best fit.

Scotty's remarks re the structure and timing of our current rugby competitions are spot on. The request for "more teams" begs the question: in what competition? I share Scotty's wish for more high-level rugby teams and in my dreams would like them to be in another competition below S14 and in Melbourne, Central Coast and western Sydney. I mentioned elsewhere the ARU were justified in cancelling the ARC as the losses were unsustainable but I thought not nearly enough effort was put into the revenue side of the equation. This problem won't go away for any new teams, an additional S14 team or a new competition. For those of you not familiar with the structure and history of rugby politics in Sydney there are some who are fiercely determined to protect the priviliged position Easts, Uni and Randwick occupy. For instance Randwick decline to stay at opposing clubs' clubhouses for after-match presentations and there are legions of their supporters who won't cross Anzac Parade to watch a game of rugby. At my club, West Harbour, there's a solid core of supporters who resent the fact tests aren't played at Concord Oval (capacity 25,000) as they see merit in the organising union keeping all the gate money. Last year, influential figures from the three old farts' club actively campaigned in Sydney's boardrooms against corporate sponsorship for our three ARC teams. Disgraceful.

The current Super competition starting in February and finishing in May is out of whack with what Australians want for their favourite football competitions. It may be time to tell our NH rugby brothers to bugger off if they can't guarantee full strength teams every time, which they can't. I'd be quite happy with a March to September competition with breaks for the 3N matches. Which brings me to another point: the ARU are trying to maximise revenue with as many tests as they can squeeze in but I'd like to see the number of tests played reduced to keep them "special". Playing NZ or SA on consecutive weekends devalues the product in my eyes.

The last point I'll raise in my rant is the development of rugby in the Pacific and the involvement of Argentina. The iRB won't do much more than its contribution to the Pacific Nations Cup, in which the PIs on professional contracts in Europe don't play, so it's up to SANZAR, or Australia and NZ specifically, to lead the way. We must make any developments attractive enough to keep our Saffer friends in the fold as their teams add quality and depth to whatever competition they're involved in. "The Tyranny of Distance" may be an Australian term coined by Geoffrey Blainey but in matters rugby the Saffers really do put in the long miles.

Rant over.

F

formeropenside

Maybe after Super Rugby there is a test season, and concurrent with that a combined APC/NPC (that has financial problems too and needs something done to it) with some PI sides as well.

You get then the ARC sides, minus the Wallaby squad, NPC, and PI, and play a trans-tasman and PI series. Maybe in 2 pools, maybe not.

Thats also an excellent comp for development: playing in NZ midwinter and home and away travel is all part of the process of bringing players along.

Hell, throw in a Japanese or Asian side to help with the money.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Scotty said:
So you'd prefer the status quo of never having any more than say 120 professional players rather than extending ourselves a little further to 150 odd and hoping to fill that up with quality players in time?

I am convinced that the only way to grow rugby in this country is to have more teams, a longer season and more local derbies. What we have at the moment is a professional season that only goes for 3 months before the representative season. It is rididulous when you compare it to the other codes, particularly AFL and League. What we need is a better balance between the professional season and representative season. We of course have to keep our pinnacle of rugby, in test matches and the wallabies at the forefront, but that is pointless if everything below it looses money. We should not ever, ever, think that the cricket model in this country is the way to run rugby. The soccer model with around 6 months of professional competition mixed with plenty of rep stuff is the best fit.

I have confidence that if we can have this sort of tournament playing in Australia year in year out we will begin to take some of league's audience, particularly if they continue with the issues that dog them, and we will stall the damage from AFL and Soccer. Winning the competition with league is of particular importance, as it will give young guys that are on the cusp of league/union decision further options to take up in union, thus helping fill our 5th team. Of course it won't happen overnight, but (you know the rest).

(passionate rant over)

We don't have the cattle at the moment, we need to consolidate and build depth first. Aus rugby is still struggling to supply 4 teams of quality for the S14, let alone a fifth.

Our sides ended up 2nd, 8th, 9th & 12th (75% in the bottom half of the comp) with our depth so dire we are now importing players. There is no point what so ever expanding teams if it makes them all no competitive. No one will watch teams getting pasted, especially in a new market.

As I have said, I think it would be more prudent in the short term to lengthen the current S14, and expand the current squads to cover the corresponding attrition and expand depth that way.

T

TOCC

fatprop said:
Scotty said:

(passionate rant over)

We don't have the cattle at the moment, we need to consolidate and build depth first. Aus rugby is still struggling to supply 4 teams of quality for the S14, let alone a fifth.

Our sides ended up 2nd, 8th, 9th & 12th (75% in the bottom half of the comp) with our depth so dire we are now importing players. There is no point what so ever expanding teams if it makes them all no competitive. No one will watch teams getting pasted, especially in a new market.

As I have said, I think it would be more prudent in the short term to lengthen the current S14, and expand the current squads to cover the corresponding attrition and expand depth that way.

like i have already said, there are ways around that

F

formeropenside

TOCC said:
fatprop said:
Scotty said:

(passionate rant over)

like i have already said, there are ways around that

The only way I can think of is money, and lets not pretend that dollars dont matter.

T

TOCC

what?

did you even read my previous post.. .

my comments were basically that Australia needs a 5th team for the extra depth and exposure of the sport, as noted already there is a serious issue with the depth of decent players in Australia. Hence my proposal for a new team included recruiting and player development boosts:

Basically we dont want to see what happened with the Force, for the team to plunder the other teams players and spread the talent to thin in the country for competitive S14 sides, on the same note we want the new team to be competitive and help develop Australias playing depth.

So here are my ideas that should be included for a 5th S14 side in Aus:
*note all dates are based on a new team for the 2011 season

1. 50% of the squad can be foreign players in the first 2 years, then reducing to 30% in 2013 and 10% in 2015
2. More positions/funding in the Juniors Academy with a strong emphasis on picking up U16 and Schoolboys

The ARU along with the S14 sides should be aiming for a 100% retention of the Australian Schoolboys squad and U16 squad, presently we are at best retaining 40-60% with NRL sides picking up some of the best. There is definetly the talent coming through juniors, its just that there arent enough positions for the rest of them to reach the next level, we need another S14 side to open up more positions to get them through, we also need to start targetting them whilst they are younger like the NRL are currently doing.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I agree with fatprop. There might be the talent in the backs, and maybe the backrow, coming through, but not in the tight five and that is where all but the Waratahs, and possibly the Reds, lack.

When all of our teams finish in the top half of the comp we can think about a 5th on the basis you have suggested TOCC. In the meantime we need an ARC equivalent.

T

TOCC

Cutter, im with you i would prefer to have a ARC over a 5th team, but unfortunately we have to be realistic about what to expect, and at the moment the broadcasters would rather pay extra for a 5th team over a MARC type comp. Also it seems that JON is also going for the 5th team option, so where it stands we have to look at ways that this 5th team can be formed without being a burden to the other provinces.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
There are two general schools of thought here and many valid arguments for each school. Neither opinion can be said to be correct:

1. There is not enough depth for a 5th team especially props; consolidate and wait until Oz teams rise up the ladder; Queensland have still not recovered from the advent of the Force; the good players will be revealed anyway; the quality of the tournament will not be depreciated; there will be no additional costs; Melbourne was not good for league if you're thinking of going there.

2. Go for it anyway as the chance to get the 5th team may not come back for a while; 25% more professional players will get onto the park every season and for a longer period than under S14 and some will surprise; a few more coaching jobs for Aussies; stops some Oz players going overseas; stops some schoolboys going to league; the 5th team will be self-funding by a share of the increased TV revenue; spreads the gospel in the case of Melbourne; sponsors an for international game like rugby are in Melbourne; makes the demise of the ARC less significant because it partially achieves some of the objectives; more local Oz derbies; a longer professional season to put in front of sporting consumers.

That's just off the top of my head and with no comprehensive reading of the posts above. There are many more arguments for both schools of thought and some of the arguments listed, or not listed, carry more weight than others.

About 5-6 years ago on the older version of the other forum, the merit of having a 4th Oz Super team was mooted. Kiwis were prancing around in their preciousness objecting to my stance that we would take the 4th team because it would be good for Oz rugby.

When they said that we neither had the depth, nor deserved it from results, I agreed with them - and when they said we should have an NPC type competition first and that they didn't want to be involved in dragging Oz rugby up, I both agreed with them and said I didn't blame them, but I would still take the 4th Oz team.

Because the Kiwis were ropeable does not prove that having the Force team was a good thing for Oz rugby; they get ropeable over a lot of things. But has the Force team been of benefit to us?

Let us suppose that most of us think it has been of benefit; does it follow that having a 5th team will also be of benefit?

No it doesn't. People will point out that there is such a thing as what economists call: the Law of Diminishing Returns. In their language: units of output are produced by adding units of input - the units of output increases in size at first, but eventually, even though total output keeps on increasing, the size of each unit of output levels out and then it diminishes.

In rugby language: opponents of the 5th team Oz Super team will argue that with getting the Force team in we came to the levelling out point and that we don't really have enough inputs - players, coaches and money, to shovel into the rugby boilers and that the output will get less and less for every bit of inferior input we chuck in.

Proponents of the 5th team will say: so what? The results of chucking additional players, coaches and money may see Oz points on the Super ladder decrease for a while, (the size of the individual outputs getting smaller), but the total output for Oz rugby (20% more players, longer season, yarda, yarda) will actually increase, albeit in smaller chunks every year than it has before.

I'm of the 2nd school of thought even though I agree with many of the arguments against it. What persuades me from getting off the fence and sliding the other way include:

? Serendipity: the rise of a few star players every now and then that would not have been discovered otherwise but if a 5th team had arrived. This may be because they would not offer themselves for a professional sporting career, at least in our code of rugby, with so narrow a pathway as 4 professional teams, or because their chances to shine, and to make mistakes and improve, would be limited behind established players in one of the 4 teams.

? Migration of players to other teams. When you look at the Waratahs team on a typical game day this year you can have people like: Freier, Kepu, Baxter, Beau Robinson, Palmer, Mafi, Halangahu, Mowen, Sheehan, Tahu, Jacobs and Valentine not starting the game but good enough to start in Super rugby. Other teams have such players too: at least in a few positions.

Some of them may not be world beaters; not all of them would like to move cities and most teams would like to keep them - but I would be surprised if a total of 10 players could not be acquired from the existing 4 teams if they thought they could get a start. Chuck in a few players from overseas including a couple of Aussies returning, fellows leaving school in the next 2 years and Academy players that don't get promoted and you can get a team on the field that could finish above last place and start a rise upward.

? Stopping future players going overseas. Just talking about one position: flyhalf - in the last few weeks of watching European rugby I have seen 3 Aussies on a regular basis (and there's a lot more of them): Brock James, Chris Malone and Paul Warwick starting in games of the French Top14, English Guinness Premiership and Celtic Magners League respectively.

The merits of these players are unimportant; what is important is that they left Oz - two couldn't get into Super rugby and one couldn't get a starting spot. Money may have been a factor but you can bet there are a few flyhalves over there that would never have left had there been a 5th Super team then - and some, even a 4th team.

In the next few years flyhalves A and B will go overseas because they can't get a start in Oz pro rugby, or even a squad place in one of the 4 Super teams. No, I don't know their names either, but we know they will go. If they stay they could be starting eventually and not necessarily for the 5th team, because players move around - but we would have 5 valid starting players instead of 4.

Go through all the positions of players playing in the NH or rugby league, take a portion of them who would never have gone with a 4th or 5th team here, and you can imagine that manning 5 squads with players becomes less critical year by year. 5 years after the 5th Super team comes on board there will be 2 Oz teams that struggle every year, but by and large the rationale for the 5th team will have been satifisied, or near enough.

Will the 5th team have troubles? Damn right. Will the results of the present 4 teams be affected? Damn right. Should we wait 2 years to the start of a notional 5th team plus my notional 5 years to satisfy the rationale = 7 years, and then put our hands up for a 5th team?

Hell, no. Benefits will come to Oz rugby in the transition and the chance may never be offered again.

But I digress. I'm drivelling now - and not for the first time. I'm voting for the 5th team with no assertion that I am right, but with hope in my heart that I am.

PS:

And I saw the most recent player to go overseas, Sydney Uni centre Lachlan Mitchell, starting for Wasps on the weekend, as fullback and going OK too. He has never been in a Super squad either.

W

whocares

You've convinved me Lee

But I think we need to time the starting of a new team with the ending of many of the other players contracts otherwise we could end up with only a couple of players with any experience and the rest from clubs. If we make it when players are finishing up their contracts then i think they could grab maybe half the sqaud with some experience (either from over seas or from other S14 sides) and the rest from either club or straight from schoolboy level.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
we are only getting over the 4th team! Must be the Tahs turn to supply most of the players.

I'm for 5 too

W

whocares

Tahs can supply most of the forwards (except locks but there seems to be an Australia wide shortage)
Brumbies can help out with some hookers and the outside backs
and i think all teams have like one extra inside back
and half back could be either Sheehan or Phibbs/Holmes. Im hoping it'll be Phibbs/Holmes because neither can impove by getting half games each, and iv given up on Sheehan improving.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wrt the lock shortage. We have 4 OS in Vickers, Andrew Farley, Ed O'D and Cam Treloar. Worth pursuing.

Al Cambell set to join them.

Status
Not open for further replies.