• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

S15: Australia dont have depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
google translate

No, this is not some desperate Lions official say it, but no less than an Aussie.
Phil Blake, the defensive coach of the Western Force on Saturday night here at King Park when his team to 53-11 by the Sharks devour, acknowledge the Super Series will not be poorer than a sixth South African team would be allowed it.
He even conceded that there may be merit in it for two of the Australian franchises to merge to South Africa has a team to give.
"This is not a decision that I will have any effect, but South Africa is a rugby force to ease a sixth team can have in this series.
"It might not be so easy for two of the Aussie teams (possibly Rebels and Western Force) put together, but it's something to consider," he said.
These two are the bottom two Australian teams, although the Rebels Saturday caused a sensation by beating the Crusaders.
New Zealand and Australian rugby bosses would not bite on the idea of a sixth South African team.
. About the Sharks' chances of Super Rugby glory Blake is not very positive.
"I believe they will battle the two teams above them (Stormers and Bulls) to catch up, but on present form, might slip as the fifth or sixth team in uitspeelstryde," he said.
This was the Sharks' last game against a foreign team and they have five games left Derby.
"It's a huge challenge and requires a lot of us," admits John Plumtree, the Sharks coach.
They play Saturday in Bloemfontein against the Cheetahs and then again this week at home against the Stormers, before the Lions in Johannesburg and they are packed close with two home games against the Bulls and Cheetahs.
Plumtree also said if the Springbok loose forward Willem Alberts is not now part of the 22-man squad, is still the battering ram in his future plans.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Whilst personally satisfying to have 5 teams in each country, it is somewhat mystifying considering how rugby is held in australia (compared to the other codes). SA and NZ being traditional rugby first nations probably do deserve the lions share of the teams, logically speaking.

I sometimes wonder if Aus having 5 teams is not anything to do with developing players in this country, but the amount of money Australians pay (PPP) in merchandise, foxtel subscriptions, ticket sales, sponsoring deals etc etc...

I have no clue what other countries pay for these things. I understand that there are waaaayyyyy more supporters in SA and probably way more parochial supporters in NZ than here, but if we pay waaaayyy more individually (which is pretty much the case in everything else I have ever seen - soooo friggen expensive to live here!!!), then maybe the Aus market is pumping in more money into the coffers than SA and NZ. Perhaps that's why Sanzar seems to acquiesce to the idle whims of ARU???

Do any of the SA and NZ guys know what sort of figures are for tickets, merchandise like jerseys and cable subscription fees are in their respective countries?

(Just a question guys, I honestly have no clue to the contributions by country and am not stating that Aus is pumping in more money so please don't take it as me saying that we put in more money)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We are also a substantially wealthier nation than either South Africa or New Zealand. It is not surprising that we pay more for goods and services.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Really? I find that hard to believe. What was the exact quote Paarl?
Per Google translator
Phil Blake, the defensive coach of the Western Force on Saturday night here at King Park when his team to 53-11 by the Sharks devour, acknowledge the Super Series will not be poorer than a sixth South African team would be allowed it.
He even conceded that there may be merit in it for two of the Australian franchises to merge to South Africa has a team to give.
"This is not a decision that I will have any effect, but South Africa is a rugby force to ease a sixth team can have in this series.
"It might not be so easy for two of the Aussie teams (possibly Rebels and Western Force) put together, but it's something to consider," he said

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Whilst personally satisfying to have 5 teams in each country, it is somewhat mystifying considering how rugby is held in australia (compared to the other codes). SA and NZ being traditional rugby first nations probably do deserve the lions share of the teams, logically speaking.

I sometimes wonder if Aus having 5 teams is not anything to do with developing players in this country, but the amount of money Australians pay (PPP) in merchandise, foxtel subscriptions, ticket sales, sponsoring deals etc etc...

I have no clue what other countries pay for these things. I understand that there are waaaayyyyy more supporters in SA and probably way more parochial supporters in NZ than here, but if we pay waaaayyy more individually (which is pretty much the case in everything else I have ever seen - soooo friggen expensive to live here!!!), then maybe the Aus market is pumping in more money into the coffers than SA and NZ. Perhaps that's why Sanzar seems to acquiesce to the idle whims of ARU???

Do any of the SA and NZ guys know what sort of figures are for tickets, merchandise like jerseys and cable subscription fees are in their respective countries?

(Just a question guys, I honestly have no clue to the contributions by country and am not stating that Aus is pumping in more money so please don't take it as me saying that we put in more money)
Your Foxtel subscribtion is more or less the same value as our MNET subscription monthly fee.MNet or SS in SA viewership for S15 matches is way way higher compre to NZ or Aus. Our attendances in SA is also way higher compare to Aus or NZ and pretty sure the gate income goes mostly to the hosting franchise.

Ticket prize
Newlands R100 per average. Newlands draw 40,000 easily on average and not even the NH can compare with us on attendenses.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
"It's something to consider" is all he said. Hardly a glowing endorsement.

As it stands the Lions are on the bottom of the table, so if any side is to bow out of the competition I think the decision is a fairly simple one...

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
100 rand is like $12 Australian. I dream of paying that much! how much is the TV subscription a month?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Yup I pay that for the basic package and the sports channels.

About R200 for cheapest Reds seats

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Yup I pay that for the basic package and the sports channels.

About R200 for cheapest Reds seats
Differense is at SS we have SS1 24 hours rugby and SS5 for the extra rugby like school matches and NH rugby.

Maybe its time for ARU or the Aus franchises to look at their Stadium prices and the reason why you dont get as many at matches compare to SA. Like I posted, the Stadium income goes to the host franchise.

T

TOCC

When will south Africa realise the conference system won't work unless their is an equal number from each conference lol...

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Based on dollars, sa are the first to deserve a 6th team but based on performance it would be the kiwis. Based on common sense neither will happen.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Differense is at SS we have SS1 24 hours rugby and SS5 for the extra rugby like school matches and NH rugby.

Maybe its time for ARU or the Aus franchises to look at their Stadium prices and the reason why you dont get as many at matches compare to SA. Like I posted, the Stadium income goes to the host franchise.

They're state owned (mostly) and like any government agency here, subject to "inflated bureaucrat" tax. I think suncorp stadium has to have something like 15,000 attend before any money starts going to the franchise. If the reds go back to ballymore then it will all change of course (although travel to get there is less ideal).

Looking at the revenues from the SARU and the ARU there seems to be a pretty large disparity, but then I have no idea how the individual franchises between the different countries structure their financials :/

Thanks for responding, it is good to know that it is not just financially driven.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Speak to your coach then.

Paarl if you read the quotes he hardly endorsed the idea of a merger. He just said it was an idea worth considering, no doubt trying to appease the Saffa meda that were asking the questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.