• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

S15 in SA this year. What will happen if...

Status
Not open for further replies.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I never said that it had an impact - I said it had an affect.

And while you obviously don't have the comprehension to grasp the point, you do seem to believe that you can read minds. Fascinating!

Now I'm being a smartass..

impact/affect same basic principle your just being pedantic.

and I get your point, its just a horrible one.......

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
impact/affect same basic principle your just being pedantic.

and I get your point, its just a horrible one...

While I understand why you would want to keep things basic, the two words have quite different connotations and can convey quite a different meaning to each other.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
While I understand why you would want to keep things basic, the two words have quite different connotations and can convey quite a different meaning to each other.

im sorry im being so mean to you Bullrush, I just had a look at the "horwill stomping thread" and your copping it a bit over there too. you seem a bit agitated and this is being conveyed in the poor quality of your posts. R U OK?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
im sorry im being so mean to you Bullrush, I just had a look at the "horwill stomping thread" and your copping it a bit over there too. you seem a bit agitated and this is being conveyed in the poor quality of your posts. R U OK?

LOL.....I'm fine. I'm not copping anything anywhere. The ability to actually read and comprehend puts me a step above people like you although it gets a little draining having to lay it all out in basic terms and in small steps so you can keep up.

But I don't hold it against you at all.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
well the 3 plus people arguing against you would suggest something different, but if you say so.......

thanks that's kind of you :).

Now back to the thread topic. One minute silence does not affect a game of rugby at all, might affect the pre match entertainment, kickoff time etc but anything important or worthwhile it doesn't, however suspending a whole country for functioning just because a man dies certainly does. Not only does it affect the country of South africa but it directly affects Australia and New Zealand rugby also. To be honest I don't think it warrants the same level of disruption that the NZ earthquakes did, more people were directly affected by that occurrence not to mention the physical damage it did or the lack of warning the people of NZ received.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
well the 3 plus people arguing against you would suggest something different, but if you say so...

thanks that's kind of you :).

Now back to the thread topic. One minute silence does not affect a game of rugby at all, might affect the pre match entertainment, kickoff time etc but anything important or worthwhile it doesn't, however suspending a whole country for functioning just because a man dies certainly does. Not only does it affect the country of South africa but it directly affects Australia and New Zealand rugby also. To be honest I don't think it warrants the same level of disruption that the NZ earthquakes did, more people were directly affected by that occurrence not to mention the physical damage it did or the lack of warning the people of NZ received.

Now that's an argument I can take seriously!

Not being South African, I guess it's hard for us to understand how much Nelson Mandela means to them. He radically changed their world and had such a massive impact (as opposed to just an affect ;)) not just on a broad country-wide level but on an individual basis as well I can understand why some people would feel a drastic measure like this would be a fitting way to honour him.

This is a man who I think a lot of South Africans may feel a personal attachment to and the grieving will be real for a lot of them.

But I'm just guessing....it would be good to hear a SA view of it.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Righto, you two, that's enough. If you're not familiar with rule 10 go back and have a good read.
Yep. Read hard.
Also about playing the man. Sarcasm is all very well, banter too, but some of it is getting too pointed.
I'm getting sick of it.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Maybe people need to understand a bit about how death and mourning fit in with the African culture before thinking about their weekend entertainment.
http://toughtimestransport.blogspot.com.au/2011/12/xhosa-funeral-traditions.html
Also Baldric, not only thanks for sharing, but good to be reminded that what seems the correct thing to do in our culture (whether it be NZ, Aus or wherever) is not always the correct thing to do everywhere.
Just seeing the bit you put about how death and mourning fit into SA culture made me stop and think what I thought was maybe too much, ie 10 days no sport etc, is to be quite honest something most of us don't understand or have the right to ask you to change!!
I have given myself a quick uppercut for not actually thinking of it to start with.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I'm not being an ass. The point, if you have the comprehension to grasp it, is that we deem some people to have earned more respect and appreciation for what they have done than stopping our lives or holding up a game for 1-min signifies.

I think I get what you are getting at though please correct me if I am wrong. Are you saying you question why only some people in death are afforded a minutes silence when actually most people in death deserve a minutes silence though only a few of high profile are afforded the gesture, thus the minutes silence is more about the context rather than the person passed away? If so I think you have raised a valid point.

Status
Not open for further replies.